Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Lead story on pro football talk about Burrow not wanting to play here.
(02-06-2020, 06:37 PM)Whatever Wrote: If you want to get him working on the playbook early, you give it to a guy you trust that also happens to be working with him...cough...TJ... cough...Jordan...

cough, cough.... Sam Hubbard
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 12:48 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Just more of the same.....and someone else (Florio) jumping in and piling on.  Until Joe or his camp says something of the sort, it's all just noise. 

Now, I'm hoping what he said about playing for a team serious about a Super Bowl makes Mikey and crew take notice, but that doesn't mean the guy said he wouldn't play here. From what I read, he'll play wherever. If the team doesn't do what he feels is necessary, he could potentially leave at the end of his deal. But I don't see him refusing to come to Cincy.

Are you telling me there is bias in the media. Please say it ain’t so! The media in this country are at minimum incompetent and arguably criminal. There is no reason for NBC sports to let hack sports writers “speculate” on what Joe Burrow is thinking. This is not journalism on reporting facts. Who are they Carnac the mind reader? Fake news is so true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2020, 09:27 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Are you telling me there is bias in the media.  Please say it ain’t so!  The media in this country are at minimum incompetent and arguably criminal.  There is no reason for NBC sports to let hack sports writers “speculate” on what Joe Burrow is thinking.  This is not journalism on reporting facts.  Who are they Carnac the mind reader?  Fake news is so true.  

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Media is nonsense driven, but that's been the case for quite some time. Anyone remember the burning question of who should lead our nation? "Who would you rather have a beer with?" WTF having a beer with had to do with matters of war and peace is anyone's guess. Likeability? it's kind of morphed into "Who would you rather throw down several flights of stairs?" to lead our nation.. There's plenty of people I might want to have a beer with, but that doesn't mean I'd trust any of them with nuclear secrets. My drinking buddies were mostly morons anyway. I damned sure wasn't going to follow them in life altering situations.
There was a time when reporters were respected journalists and a few still exist, but newsrooms now are well understaffed with extremely tight budgets so they end up appealing in large part to the lowest common denominator just to sell whatever it is they're selling. Heck, our local newspaper here would fit into a regular business sized envelope most days. When I was a kid delivering newspapers I lugged huge bundles of paper in one of those big canvas newspaper totes.. Today I could likely carry the entire load of papers in my hip pocket. While my pocket is somewhat larger than it was as a kid it's not THAT much bigger.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No knowing how he feels or how would he react, but if you are considered to be the best QB coming out, and you could pick any of the 32 teams, you would have to figure the Bengals would be near the bottom of the list. A team with so many issues, an organization with a horrible reputation ( deserve or not ) I doubt he is very excited. Yet he is more than likely to love being first overall and try hard. Hopefully, Mike will make sure he is well protected.
Reply/Quote
and Florio continues to push his made up narrative. His new post on the subject

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/08/does-joe-burrow-hope-the-bengals-dont-draft-him/

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
The bottom line is, if he doesn't want to play here (if ever true), then we should take someone who does. Simple as that.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2020, 03:36 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: The bottom line is, if he doesn't want to play here (if ever true), then we should take someone who does. Simple as that.

No we shouldn’t. That’s not how the draft works.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2020, 11:59 AM)Destro Wrote: No knowing how he feels or how would he react, but if you are considered to be the best QB coming out, and you could pick any of the 32 teams, you would have to figure the Bengals would be near the bottom of the list. A team with so many issues, an organization with a horrible reputation ( deserve or not ) I doubt he is very excited. Yet he is more than likely to love being first overall and try hard. Hopefully, Mike will make sure he is well protected.

I bet he is very excited about being the #1 overall pick in the Draft. Who the hell wouldn't be? WTF?
Reply/Quote
I think most of the conversation about him not wanting to be drafted by the Bengals is trash. There's a whole lot of grasping at straws going on by some, to put it generously, "imaginative" journalists. Florio is a prick and always has been, so his speculative articles mean less than nothing in terms of reality.

I do however get a bit of enjoyment seeing the family get dragged for being so laughably conservative in their approach to team building. They've earned the distinction of being a laughingstock over the years. Watching them get some heat from national media is entertaining. They have the privilege (among many other privileges that come from being daddy-rich turds) of playing in a market where they can fly under the radar nationally. The lost decade made it even easier to ignore them when they took themselves off of the map of relevance in the NFL. Nobody cares about them or their team, really. That is, until the golden boy of college football falls into their laps, lol.

I can't wait until FA gets here and the Bengals Bengal again. They're going to, more than likely. Hobson, the mouthpiece is downright defiant about the quality of the OL and the imminent greatness of AJ Green, who will apparently return to prime form after not playing for almost 2 years and getting another huge deal from the team. Oh, and don't forget the excellent cuisine served in the team cafe that he felt the need to mention this week, as if anyone gives a shit. I hope the media and the people around Burrow are ready to highlight to him that his future employer, also a 2-14 football team, feels like they don't need to make any real improvements. He might start to think they don't care about winning and are just here to collect profit-sharing checks.
Reply/Quote
We're one week into February and I'm already exhausted.

Joe Burrow:
"I'm thrilled by the opportunity to go #1 overall."
"I'll go to whoever pays me to play football."
"Cincinnati's gonna hate me." (When asked about his opinion of Skyline Chili)

Joe Burrow's dad:
"He's thrilled by the opportunity to go #1 overall."
"He's not going to 'pull an Eli.'  I don't know where this narrative is coming from but it's getting on our nerves."
"I'd just have to hop on the highway for 3 hours to watch him play, so that would be nice."
"He understands how the NFL Draft works."

Neither Burrow nor his dad have said ANYTHING to indicate that he would not play here, or that he would not want to play here.  Not a word.  They've said everything that they've needed to say during this process.  

And it's as I've said before.  Not every player gets the luxury of going to their dream team.  So speculating on where a player would want to play is, to me, a wasted exercise.  Because it doesn't really matter.  Unless a player pulls an Eli (which Burrow's dad explicitly stated Joe would not do), they go to the team that picks them.

Joe Burrow not having an innate desire to be a Bengal =/= he wouldn't be happy to be a Bengal.  One does not equal the other.  But it seems that blowhards like Mike Florio are hellbent on forcing that idea.  But make no mistake.  It is purely, 100% fabricated.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 12:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: Just more of the same.....and someone else (Florio) jumping in and piling on.  Until Joe or his camp says something of the sort, it's all just noise. 

Now, I'm hoping what he said about playing for a team serious about a Super Bowl makes Mikey and crew take notice, but that doesn't mean the guy said he wouldn't play here. From what I read, he'll play wherever. If the team doesn't do what he feels is necessary, he could potentially leave at the end of his deal. But I don't see him refusing to come to Cincy.

Joe Burrows girlfriend lives in Mason ,Ohio and His parents live in Athens,Ohio and he indeed wants to play here and we are drafting him.Believe that,and all these goofy websites and so called draft gurus know NOTHING AND JUST FEED CRAP OUT THERE.NONE of them like us.You should know that. :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy:
Reply/Quote
Florio is just writing TMZ-esque stuff as back up job opportunity.
Reply/Quote
Anyone who is familiar with PFT knows Florio is a hot take artist. He has all sorts of wacky nonsensical theories and will do anything for a story, especially in February. He also doesn't hide his bias. He led the charge against Burfict, took personal shots against Marvin Lewis, and always speaks glowingly about the Steelers.

The guy has lived his entire life in Steelers country and practiced law in Pittsburgh. It is what it is. I quit checking that site a couple years ago because I got tired of Florio on his soapbox, his political opinions and hot takes, etc. NFL trade rumors reports the facts and that's it. Way better site than PFT.

For anyone interested, here's the link: https://nfltraderumors.co/
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 02:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Anyone who is familiar with PFT knows Florio is a hot take artist. He has all sorts of wacky nonsensical theories and will do anything for a story, especially in February. He also doesn't hide his bias. He led the charge against Burfict, took personal shots against Marvin Lewis, and always speaks glowingly about the Steelers.

The guy has lived his entire life in Steelers country and practiced law in Pittsburgh. It is what it is. I quit checking that site a couple years ago because I got tired of Florio on his soapbox, his political opinions and hot takes, etc. NFL trade rumors reports the facts and that's it. Way better site than PFT.

I've been looking for an alternative to PFT, Florio is such a hack. Thanks for the recommendation!
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 02:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Anyone who is familiar with PFT knows Florio is a hot take artist. He has all sorts of wacky nonsensical theories and will do anything for a story, especially in February. He also doesn't hide his bias. He led the charge against Burfict, took personal shots against Marvin Lewis, and always speaks glowingly about the Steelers.

It used to be just him doing that, so I would scan the authors name before reading the article.  If it was Florio, I kept scrolling without reading.  Unfortunately that no longer works, as they are all bad about it now.  Maybe it's because they are sucking up to the boss?  At one point in time you could bank on the article about the turnover created by the offense fumbling through the endzone being title "The worst rule in football has to change" and being authored by Florio.  He would spew on an on about how it was terrible and no one likes the rule (despite the vast majority being agreeing with the rule).  Now you can assured the title will be the same, but it could be authored by anyone on the sight.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 02:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Anyone who is familiar with PFT knows Florio is a hot take artist. He has all sorts of wacky nonsensical theories and will do anything for a story, especially in February. He also doesn't hide his bias. He led the charge against Burfict, took personal shots against Marvin Lewis, and always speaks glowingly about the Steelers.

It's pretty comical, really.  He runs a major network NFL news site, yet is so completely slanted toward one team that it might as well be ProStillerTalk.  His crusade vs Burfict was laughable.  He acted like the guy was a murderer.  

What's also funny is the bias of Calcaterra in favor of another Cincinnati rival, ie the Cardinals, on the NBC baseball site.  

Cincinnati sports fans are the deplorables of fandom on these sites, lol.  Steeler nation and "the classiest fans in baseball" in St Louis are a higher caste.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 03:57 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It used to be just him doing that, so I would scan the authors name before reading the article.  If it was Florio, I kept scrolling without reading.  Unfortunately that no longer works, as they are all bad about it now.  Maybe it's because they are sucking up to the boss?  At one point in time you could bank on the article about the turnover created by the offense fumbling through the endzone being title "The worst rule in football has to change" and being authored by Florio.  He would spew on an on about how it was terrible and no one likes the rule (despite the vast majority being agreeing with the rule).  Now you can assured the title will be the same, but it could be authored by anyone on the sight.

Florio is so biased he couldn't report on local traffic conditions without introducing some form of bias. I can see it now, "There is a backup on route 10 due to light snowy weather and now heavy fog. I drive a car with all weather tires.  People without all weather tires are probably to blame for the backup.  Maybe everyone should be required to use all weather tires in the winter to avoid traffic issues. The backup is expected to delay drivers by about ten minutes."

I understand that is part of his deal but it gets old and tired.  That and when there is a bigger issue, instead of waiting for facts to trickle in he goes nuts and writes articles almost every other hour instead of just writing one article.  I still read PFT because I don't use Twitter and they do break news fairly quick.  But I usually skip any articles written by him. 

Someone mentioned TMZ, IMO that is basically what his website was before it became an NBC affiliate.  A lot of rumors and sensationalism.  Now he seems kind of full of himself.  That, and when he goes in to want to be NFL agent mode when discussing players contracts.  I think it is clear he wishes he was an NFL player agent.  His many articles on the Le'Veon Bell issue was a good example of that even though his opinion probably turned out wrong.

That said he has made a niche for himself and profited from it.  IMO the majority of his "reporting" is pretty much NFL news clickbait. Heck, if you read the comments on his articles a lot of people call him out on his regular BS. But people still read and take the time to comment and for online media that matters.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Now they have nothing new so they repackage a story based on old news just to keep it going....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/08/does-joe-burrow-hope-the-bengals-dont-draft-him/

It's going to be a long couple months.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 08:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: Now they have nothing new so they repackage a story based on old news just to keep it going....

It's going to be a long couple months.

At the end of the day, if Mike Brown wants Joe Burrow, then the Bengals are going to draft Joe Burrow. Mike Brown couldn't care less about what Mike  Florio, Dan Patrick or anyone thinks. This has just gotten really out of hand and pretty silly.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2020, 12:33 AM)bwh Wrote: At the end of the day, if Mike Brown wants Joe Burrow, then the Bengals are going to draft Joe Burrow. Mike Brown couldn't care less about what Mike  Florio, Dan Patrick or anyone thinks. This has just gotten really out of hand and pretty silly.

Mike Brown also wouldn't care what Burrow thinks, honestly if Burrow came out and said don't draft me, it would be a Mike Brown move to draft him just to prove a point.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote