Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Lead story on pro football talk about Burrow not wanting to play here.
(02-10-2020, 12:33 AM)bwh Wrote: At the end of the day, if Mike Brown wants Joe Burrow, then the Bengals are going to draft Joe Burrow. Mike Brown couldn't care less about what Mike  Florio, Dan Patrick or anyone thinks. This has just gotten really out of hand and pretty silly.

Personally, I think he has given control over to Taylor about things like this.  He's 84......  he doesn't want all this hassle.  I think he's still a tight ass and is involved in that regard, but I think Taylor and the other coaches have control in things like the draft.

That's one of the reasons that I could see Burrow being convinced to play here: Taylor goes to him before the draft and says "we'll cater the offense to you and we'll bring in weapons to help you succeed.  This is YOUR team."

He would also need a plan and assurance of things like building a strong line, but I think that that's one way Burrow could be content (if not happy) in coming here.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2020, 02:11 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Personally, I think he has given control over to Taylor about things like this.  He's 84......  he doesn't want all this hassle.  I think he's still a tight ass and is involved in that regard, but I think Taylor and the other coaches have control in things like the draft.

That's one of the reasons that I could see Burrow being convinced to play here: Taylor goes to him before the draft and says "we'll cater the offense to you and we'll bring in weapons to help you succeed.  This is YOUR team."

He would also need a plan and assurance of things like building a strong line, but I think that that's one way Burrow could be content (if not happy) in coming here.

At best Taylor will be able to promise to redecorate his locker area and maybe give him his own office.. Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2020, 02:11 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Personally, I think he has given control over to Taylor about things like this.  He's 84......  he doesn't want all this hassle.  I think he's still a tight ass and is involved in that regard, but I think Taylor and the other coaches have control in things like the draft.

Im pretty sure any team would build an offense around a QB they take at #1 overall though, so I don't see what makes this such a novel prospect. 

I still find the idea of MB being a control freak his whole career and then doing a 180 at the age of 85 to be unlikely.  Have you ever seen an old man change his mind?
Reply/Quote
I will say, I commend many fans (specifically, Bengals Captain Obvious and Jim BTR or something) on Twitter and Lance McAllister (also on Twitter), for pushing back severely and basically calling them out for this shit.

PFT then tried to repost things with different wordings and they were still called out.

When Schefter immediately pushed back and said that he outright didn't post something that they quoted him as source, that was the tip.

I sincerely think it heavily hurt their reputation and they aren't going to be as relevant anymore.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 03:57 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It used to be just him doing that, so I would scan the authors name before reading the article.  If it was Florio, I kept scrolling without reading.  Unfortunately that no longer works, as they are all bad about it now.  Maybe it's because they are sucking up to the boss?  At one point in time you could bank on the article about the turnover created by the offense fumbling through the endzone being title "The worst rule in football has to change" and being authored by Florio.  He would spew on an on about how it was terrible and no one likes the rule (despite the vast majority being agreeing with the rule).  Now you can assured the title will be the same, but it could be authored by anyone on the sight.

Totally accurate from everything I've seen. Florio used to be their only "opinion" guy.

Now the site is just a legion of opinion guys that all seem in lockstep with Florio. Even Peter King.

(02-09-2020, 08:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: Now they have nothing new so they repackage a story based on old news just to keep it going....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/08/does-joe-burrow-hope-the-bengals-dont-draft-him/

It's going to be a long couple months.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fstarecat.com%2Fcontent%...f=1&nofb=1]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Hobson’s new article addresses this directly with quotes from Bill Polian and Charles Grasserly. Both say this kind of talk, “player doesn’t want to play in X”, comes from agents and teams drafting behind the number 1 pick that want that player. They said it almost never comes from the player.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2020, 06:53 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Hobson’s new article addresses this directly with quotes from Bill Polian and Charles Grasserly. Both say this kind of talk, “player doesn’t want to play in X”, comes from agents and teams drafting behind the number 1 pick that want that player. They said it almost never comes from the player.

BuT wHaT iF bUrRoW rEaLlY fEeLs ThAt WaY tHo???
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2020, 07:23 PM)Big Boss Wrote: BuT wHaT iF bUrRoW rEaLlY fEeLs ThAt WaY tHo???

As overblown as this stuff is, it's not really fair for us to talk up how absolutely 100% committed and addicted to winning Burrow is without at least entertaining the idea that he isn't super happy that he's going to be stuck working for a guy who doesn't seem to want to win.

Winners don't usually hitch their wagons to losers...trust me, I've been waiting for a gorgeous and rich and successful woman to drag me into the high life just to prove that she can.
Reply/Quote
Now they are pointing to TJ's comments from 2018 about how it was pre-Marvin and the lack of any current or former Bengals publicly disputing Palmer as proof that Burrow doesn't want us to draft him...
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 11:57 AM)jj22 Wrote: All I saw was this...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/06/joe-burrows-dad-tries-to-tamp-down-speculation-they-dont-want-to-be-bengals/

It's going to be a long couple months of this speculation. It is interesting that the 0-16 and 1-15 Browns never had this pushback when they got the 1st overall pick, but MB earns this kind of media coverage and doesn't care.

If anything this is eye opening to Burrow as it relates the weight carried by being a Bengals QB.

Its called media bias.. the Browns are the love child of failure but the Media ignores it... The Browns surpassed the Bengals as the most inept team over a decade easy.... 
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 01:20 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Its called media bias.. the Browns are the love child of failure but the Media ignores it... The Browns surpassed the Bengals as the most inept team over a decade easy.... 

Plenty of experts saw the 2019 Browns as the dreadful match of dbags and idiot coaching they ended up being.  The idea that everyone thought Baker Mayfield and OBJ were going to be Montana and Rice and Fatty Kitchens was going to be the next Sean Mcvey just isn't true.

Even people who thought they would be good turned on them halfway through game 1.
Reply/Quote
Until Burrow comes out and state, I want to play for the Bengals, they are a home team for me and I'm excited to be part of that organization and do what Palmer never could do and that is get the Bengals into the Super Bowl, speculation will flow all around. It also shows me as a fan I honestly don't want him if he isn't willing to commit to the Bengals, the team with the 1st pick in the draft that is most likely to pick him. He is great but he isn't saying the right things to make me want the Bengals to draft him.

I'm still waiting for the last minute Eli Manning move the day of the draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 11:28 AM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Until Burrow comes out and state, I want to play for the Bengals, they are a home team for me and I'm excited to be part of that organization and do what Palmer never could do and that is get the Bengals into the Super Bowl, speculation will flow all around. It also shows me as a fan I honestly don't want him if he isn't willing to commit to the Bengals, the team with the 1st pick in the draft that is most likely to pick him. He is great but he isn't saying the right things to make me want the Bengals to draft him.

I'm still waiting for the last minute Eli Manning move the day of the draft.

He said he’s willing to play for any team that wants to pay him to play football. What else do you want him to say? Why should he say he wants to play for any particular team before he’s actually drafted?

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 11:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He said he’s willing to play for any team that wants to pay him to play football. What else do you want him to say? Why should he say he wants to play for any particular team before he’s actually drafted?

If you want to go #1 and are more than likely going to go #1 and you know who is drafting #1, saying things such as "I WANT TO BE A BENGAL AND HELP TURN THIS TEAM INTO A WINNER" goes a long way to and show confidence as a player. 

How Burrow is acting and who he brought in to help train him, all players who have negative things to say about the Bengals, is telling a different story and that is not good IMO. Baker Mayfield said the right things before he got drafted. Burrow isn't saying those things, so why should I be all in as a fan on a player who isn't all in on the team most likely to draft him. 
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 12:04 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: If you want to go #1 and are more than likely going to go #1 and you know who is drafting #1, saying things such as "I WANT TO BE A BENGAL AND HELP TURN THIS TEAM INTO A WINNER" goes a long way to and show confidence as a player. 

How Burrow is acting and who he brought in to help train him, all players who have negative things to say about the Bengals, is telling a different story and that is not good IMO. Baker Mayfield said the right things before he got drafted. Burrow isn't saying those things, so why should I be all in as a fan on a player who isn't all in on the team most likely to draft him. 

Burrow to the Bengals is SO OBVIOUS at this point that it makes it a boring long 3-4 months until we finalize the pick, thus forcing the media's hand in creating bs stories while giving the Bengals as an organization major shit because it's easy to do... What you're hearing in the news about the Burrow not wanting to go to Cincinnati is false. His dad AGAIN recently said he doesn't know where these false rumor's are coming from.

I don't think it is an issue that Burrow hasn't come out and said "I'm all in on the Bengals". What IF we don't take him? That may be in the back of his mind too. I'm also betting he doesn't want to show that he has high hopes of going #1 overall just to be taken #2 or #3. Then he'd feel like a fool.

Don't overthink this situation. Joe is already a Bengal. And I'm sure he's happy to be one. I don't need him to have a press conference to tell the world he is dying to be a Bengal. These players who are training him who are ex Bengals are not in his ear everyday brainwashing him to hate the Bengals. I doubt Burrow even asks their opinion on the Bengals.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 01:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, he wants nothing to do with Cincinnati. That's why he's banging around with Sam Hubbard at the Super Bowl. They've probably already made plans about what they are going to do when Burrow gets into town....

Never mind that his girlfriend is from Mason.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 12:04 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: If you want to go #1 and are more than likely going to go #1 and you know who is drafting #1, saying things such as "I WANT TO BE A BENGAL AND HELP TURN THIS TEAM INTO A WINNER" goes a long way to and show confidence as a player. 

Housh hasn’t said anything negative about us, nor has Jordan. It’s just Carson.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 09:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Housh hasn’t said anything negative about us, nor has Jordan. It’s just Carson.

Exactly what I was about to say.

The only thing Housh has said is that you have to consider the offer if someone throws something ridiculous at you.
Reply/Quote

Ok. And if the Bengals end up trading the foa to another team,then he looks like a colossal idiot who got snubbed by the worst team in 2019.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 09:40 PM)Benton Wrote: Ok. And if the Bengals end up trading the foa to another team,then he looks like a colossal idiot who got snubbed by the worst team in 2019.

True, that would be dumb. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote