Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leftists panic over the possibility of having Thanksgiving with a Trump supporter
(11-13-2017, 09:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Can we agree that respect needs to be something that both sides of a conversation should be willing to give to further a civil conversation? Can you see how if someone states they are offended by a remark but it is repeated regardless that it causes a breakdown of this respectful dialogue?

I am all for mutual respect. But it’s earned from both sides of the coin. You don’t earn it by being passive aggressive or demeaning someone who doesn’t agree.

Also you getting offended is a you issue. Outside of knowingly attacking someone’s family which I know I have mentioned several times if someone here is a transgendered or has one in their family then please let me know and I will be more respectful on that topic.
(11-13-2017, 10:02 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think there needs to be a recognition of balance. If something is said that could be construed as prejudicially based, we ought to say just that. But labeling someone as an -ist doesn't provide much room for dialogue and is just aggressive. Honestly, the more I have thought about this after observing some of these conversations on here is that using the -isms puts people immediately on the defensive and so shuts down conversation. We need to be able to discuss how certain things being said are based in prejudicial attitudes and can be harmful, but without making it into the pissing match it tends to become.

Looks like your learning. I look forward to productive conversations
(11-13-2017, 11:21 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think if you need a tutorial on how to treat people who believe differently than you then you are beyond the help of a tutorial.

Thank you.
(11-14-2017, 02:06 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I am all for mutual respect.   But it’s earned from both sides of the coin.  You don’t earn it by being passive aggressive or demeaning someone who doesn’t agree.  

Mellow

(11-14-2017, 01:51 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You seriously need to have a word with yourself on this subject. There is no reason this topic should upset you this much. Unless you are a transgendered and if so that’s OK. I support your choice to change your gender.

If your not one of them then please reflect on if you should be Getting this upset over a message board subject that everyone is having a laugh.

I am pulling for you buddy. If I can help let me know, I’m here for ya.
Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-13-2017, 08:08 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No one is listening to the message that uses made up pronouns and calls normal people racists.  

Once leftists figure that out and just talk policies then they have a real conversation.

I don't hear or see "normal people" being called racist. 

I do hear/see right wing media talking about it all the time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-14-2017, 02:23 AM)Dill Wrote: I don't hear or see "normal people" being called racist. 

I do hear/see right wing media talking about it all the time.

Lol. Happens here all the time.
(11-14-2017, 02:17 AM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

Mellow

Am I not allowed to empathize?

Don’t worry I am pulling for you as well Dino.
(11-14-2017, 02:06 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I am all for mutual respect.   But it’s earned from both sides of the coin.  You don’t earn it by being passive aggressive or demeaning someone who doesn’t agree.  

Also you getting offended is a you issue.  Outside of knowingly attacking someone’s family which I know I have mentioned several times if someone here is a transgendered or has one in their family then please let me know and I will be more respectful on that topic.

Didn't you just post an article which does exactly that, which was reporting on a "leftist" article which doesn't do any of that?

Do you endorse the article you posted?
(11-14-2017, 02:26 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Am I not allowed to empathize?  

Don’t worry I am pulling for you as well Dino.

Mellow

(11-13-2017, 11:21 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think if you need a tutorial on how to treat people who believe differently than you then you are beyond the help of a tutorial.

I respectfully disagree with you on that, Michael.  I think everyone can learn from such "tutorials." 

Lots of people don't know how to treat people who believe differently, but can learn how.
(11-14-2017, 02:24 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lol.    Happens here all the time.

Right wing media talking about it happens here all the time.  That's what I mean.
(11-14-2017, 02:28 AM)Dill Wrote: Didn't you just post an article which does exactly that, which was reporting on a "leftist" article which doesn't do any of that?

Do you endorse the article you posted?

1. Which Article?

2. All I endorse is the ability to have an open discussion on the topic in the article that I post.

That goes for any thread I post on this forum.
(11-14-2017, 02:32 AM)Dill Wrote: Right wing media talking about it happens here all the time.  That's what I mean.

Feel free to search racist, homophobe, sexist, or anything else similar and you see loads of people here calling normal decent people these names.
(11-14-2017, 02:06 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I am all for mutual respect. But it’s earned from both sides of the coin. You don’t earn it by being passive aggressive or demeaning someone who doesn’t agree.

Also you getting offended is a you issue. Outside of knowingly attacking someone’s family which I know I have mentioned several times if someone here is a transgendered or has one in their family then please let me know and I will be more respectful on that topic.

Respect in conversation is not something that should be earned before being given. Respectful conversation should be the default.

As to the second part, there are at least two people that post regularly here that do have trans family members. It has been discussed in the past.

(11-14-2017, 02:07 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Looks like your learning. I look forward to productive conversations

You're*

Aside from that, though, I have tried for some time to talk about the forum poster saying it. I'm not perfect in this endeavor, but it is something I have tried to do. I have just not been hesitant to call things being said either racist or sexist when things being said fit that definition. I haven't fully decided how I feel about removing those words, though. If they are accurate descriptions of what is said or done, then I don't know if they should be set aside to nurture delicate sensibilities. I don't see the use of those terms when applied to something that could objectively be identified as such the same as some of the more inflammatory language used. At the same time, though, if someone infers something to be inflammatory then it is going to shut down discourse.

It's quite the conundrum. The main thing is that we all have a long way to go in here.
Considering the fact that in my family, the siblings do not have sex with one another, I have no worries about any of them being Trump voters.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(11-14-2017, 09:53 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Respect in conversation is not something that should be earned before being given. Respectful conversation should be the default.

As to the second part, there are at least two people that post regularly here that do have trans family members. It has been discussed in the past.

You're*

Aside from that, though, I have tried for some time to talk about the forum poster saying it. I'm not perfect in this endeavor, but it is something I have tried to do. I have just not been hesitant to call things being said either racist or sexist when things being said fit that definition. I haven't fully decided how I feel about removing those words, though. If they are accurate descriptions of what is said or done, then I don't know if they should be set aside to nurture delicate sensibilities. I don't see the use of those terms when applied to something that could objectively be identified as such the same as some of the more inflammatory language used. At the same time, though, if someone infers something to be inflammatory then it is going to shut down discourse.

It's quite the conundrum. The main thing is that we all have a long way to go in here.

1. Immediate family? Or like cousins? I have wondered for a while if we didn’t have a couple of transgenders in here or maybe they were married to a transgendered. Had someone just sent me a pm or tagged me in a post mentioning they were then I would be more careful. I am not going to blast someone or their wife because they are a transgender. I will hope they get the help they need.

2. Agreed. But if I see someone toss less of the labels around then I will treat those people with the same courtesy and a lot less sarcasm.
(11-14-2017, 10:48 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 1. Immediate family? Or like cousins? I have wondered for a while if we didn’t have a couple of transgenders in here or maybe they were married to a transgendered. Had someone just sent me a pm or tagged me in a post mentioning they were then I would be more careful. I am not going to blast someone or their wife because they are a transgender. I will hope they get the help they need.

One cousin (mine) and one father (apologies if this isn't an accurate description of the relationship). I will not say the person for the second one, but it has been posted before. If they choose to wade into this, I will let them on their own terms.
(11-14-2017, 10:48 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 1. Immediate family?  Or like cousins?   I have wondered for a while if we didn’t have a couple of transgenders in here or maybe they were married to a transgendered.   Had someone just sent me a pm or tagged me in a post mentioning they were then I would be more careful.    I am not going to blast someone or their wife because they are a transgender.    I will hope they get the help they need.  

2. Agreed.    But if I see someone toss less of the labels around then I will treat those people with the same courtesy and a lot less sarcasm.

That's about the third time this was written and my question is why?

Why can't you just be respectful without thinking that you're actually talking to someone you are "have a joke about"?
(11-14-2017, 10:55 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: One cousin (mine) and one father (apologies if this isn't an accurate description of the relationship). I will not say the person for the second one, but it has been posted before. If they choose to wade into this, I will let them on their own terms.

Well I typically don’t concern myself with worrying about offending someone over cousins but thank you for letting me know. As for someone’s father being one that is another matter. I steer clear of Parents, spouse, and children. All I can really tell you is that it’s not personal and even though it may seem so at times I have never attempted to attack anyone over this issue. I honestly just feel this is one of the most ridiculous issues of our time. If people want to live an odd life that’s on them, I don’t begrudge them for doing so, but I also don’t have to play along either. I think that is a fair social contract.
(11-14-2017, 10:55 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: One cousin (mine) and one father (apologies if this isn't an accurate description of the relationship). I will not say the person for the second one, but it has been posted before. If they choose to wade into this, I will let them on their own terms.

I have a serious question.  Can I tell people I don't like being referred to as cis? It sounds weird.   I mean who got to decide that for me?  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall