Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leftists panic over the possibility of having Thanksgiving with a Trump supporter
(11-14-2017, 10:40 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Considering the fact that in my family, the siblings do not have sex with one another, I have no worries about any of them being Trump voters.

Hell, I don't even ask siblings in my family if they have sex with each other. But I guess different families have different dinner conversations. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-14-2017, 11:28 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell, I don't even ask siblings in my family if they have sex with each other. But I guess different families have different dinner conversations. 

Why would you have to ask?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-14-2017, 11:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: That's about the third time this was written and my question is why?

Why can't you just be respectful without thinking that you're actually talking to someone you are "have a joke about"?

The list can’t be long there is only a couple of people here who gets overly riled up on this topic and Matt just mentioned his cousin is one.

I will certainly take that into consideration when replying to posts. I think it sheds light on the aggressive tone of responses. Which is something to consider and now I know why Matt is reacting that way. You can’t expect someone to be rational about their family. They will always defend them even the black sheep.

This also gives me the opportunity to see the debate from his life experience pov on this topic. Just as he could possibly see my life exp POV on the immigration topic. .
(11-14-2017, 11:30 AM)GMDino Wrote: Why would you have to ask?

I have no idea, but apparently it is important to some to know. 

(11-14-2017, 11:30 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The list can’t be long there is only a couple of people here who gets overly riled up on this topic and Matt just mentioned his cousin is one.  

I will certainly take that into consideration when replying to posts.  I think it sheds light on the aggressive tone of responses.   Which is something to consider and now I know why Matt is reacting that way.    You can’t expect someone to be rational about their family.  They will always defend them even the black sheep.  

This also gives me the opportunity to see the debate from his life experience pov on this topic.   Just as he could possibly see my life exp POV on the immigration topic.   .

So you'll be nicer/more respectful if you think someone might be offended but not take into account that if it's offensive in the first place?
(11-14-2017, 11:31 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I have no idea, but apparently it is important to some to know. 

But Johnny didn't say he asked.  Why would anyone think he asked?
(11-14-2017, 11:36 AM)GMDino Wrote: So you'll be nicer/more respectful if you think someone might be offended but not take into account that if it's offensive in the first place?

I will cut someone a break when it involves their immediate family. As I have said people can not be rational about their families. So now it’s now obvious why I am unable to have a rational discussion with him or possibly others on this topic. Knowing this now enables me to just gloss over this stuff because I know their view is skewed to protect those who are close to them.

It’s not about being “nicer” it’s about knowing why there is limitations on a discussion on this topic with him and someone else. I can just move on and discus this with others who are able to be rational.
(11-14-2017, 11:28 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell, I don't even ask siblings in my family if they have sex with each other. But I guess different families have different dinner conversations. 

You should try asking....just for shits n' gigs. 

I thought it was more of an out in the open thing though. Football @ 12:30, Dinner @ 3:00, More football @ 4:30, 13th annual sibling sex games @ 6:00, Leftovers @ 7:30.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(11-14-2017, 11:37 AM)GMDino Wrote: But Johnny didn't say he asked.  Why would anyone think he asked?
OK we can play this. 

I did not say he asked; that's an assumption you made for some unknown reason. I simply stated that my lack of asking leads me to not be certain of the sexual preferences of siblings in my family. Perhaps the siblings in JC's family voluntarily shared this information without prompt.  I suppose he could have surveilled  or simply assumed. It just seemed to be an unusual proclamation and one I could not make with certainty about siblings in my family.  

(11-14-2017, 11:46 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: You should try asking....just for shits n' gigs. 

I thought it was more of an out in the open thing though. Football @ 12:30, Dinner @ 3:00, More football @ 4:30, 13th annual sibling sex games @ 6:00, Leftovers @ 7:30.

Sibling sex games have never been much of a Thanksgiving tradition in the bfine household. We're more of a card game type extended family. 

BTW, tell Dino how you know. He seems intrigued. 

(11-14-2017, 11:48 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Sibling sex games have never been much of a Thanksgiving tradition in the bfine household. We're more of a card game type extended family. 

Pass the trash was our go to card game during the holidays. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-14-2017, 11:51 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Pass the trash was our go to card game during the holidays. 

Meh, that sounds more like the title of the sibling sex game instead of a card game.

(11-14-2017, 11:51 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Pass the trash was our go to card game during the holidays. 

Jesus.  I was a lot nicer to my sister than that.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Mind in the gutters...

(11-14-2017, 11:42 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I will cut someone a break when it involves their immediate family.  As I have said people can not be rational about their families.   So now it’s now obvious why I am unable to have a rational discussion with him or possibly others on this topic.   Knowing this now enables me to just gloss over this stuff because I know their view is skewed to protect those who are close to them.  

It’s not about being “nicer” it’s about knowing why there is limitations on a discussion on this topic with him and someone else.    I can just move on and discus this with others who are able to be rational.

This goes back to what I said in another thread about people who tiptoe around what they mean to say.

If someone thinks every transgender person has a mental illness they should be afraid to say it to a transgender or the family member of one.  Just say what you believe.  If they argue or disagree don't "gloss over" the response but engage in conversation and defend your statements.  

Like people who think "********" is ok as long as you don't say it to an "actually ******** person".  

Be a man.

Or just have conversations with people who agree with you*, whatever make you* feel better. 

*Universal "you"...not you specifically.  For clarity. 
(11-14-2017, 11:48 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Sibling sex games have never been much of a Thanksgiving tradition in the bfine household. We're more of a card game type extended family. 

Not one bit.  I accepted Johnny at his word without assuming he asked.  Because asking would be really weird.

Thank you.
(11-14-2017, 11:58 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Mind in the gutters...

I actually researched the game after you mentioned it and discovered it is also known as Anaconda; not sure that's any better. Our family's card game of choice at gatherings is Rook (sort like spades for old people). 

(11-14-2017, 02:06 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I am all for mutual respect. But it’s earned from both sides of the coin. You don’t earn it by being passive aggressive or demeaning someone who doesn’t agree.

Also you getting offended is a you issue. Outside of knowingly attacking someone’s family which I know I have mentioned several times if someone here is a transgendered or has one in their family then please let me know and I will be more respectful on that topic.

Really?

Quote:Saw this dude working at the Walmart check out this evening. He actually had a button on with his preferred pronoun lol. Her, she, and I can't remember the last one. Made sure to call him fella, buddy, and young man during my checkout.

Had he not had the ridiculous button I would have just avoided him as much as possible as everyone else was trying to do.

(11-14-2017, 11:20 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well I typically don’t concern myself with worrying about offending someone over cousins but thank you for letting me know. As for someone’s father being one that is another matter. I steer clear of Parents, spouse, and children. All I can really tell you is that it’s not personal and even though it may seem so at times I have never attempted to attack anyone over this issue. I honestly just feel this is one of the most ridiculous issues of our time. If people want to live an odd life that’s on them, I don’t begrudge them for doing so, but I also don’t have to play along either. I think that is a fair social contract.

I commend you for having the courage to admit the alleged Walmart encounter is another lie.
(11-14-2017, 12:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I actually researched the game after you mentioned it and discovered it is also known as Anaconda; not sure that's any better. Our family's card game of choice at gatherings is Rook (sort like spades for old people). 

lol, not any better at all. 

We also play a spades like game (betting and taking tricks based on high cards, etc) but without teams. Can't remember the name

(11-14-2017, 11:20 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well I typically don’t concern myself with worrying about offending someone over cousins but thank you for letting me know. As for someone’s father being one that is another matter. I steer clear of Parents, spouse, and children. All I can really tell you is that it’s not personal and even though it may seem so at times I have never attempted to attack anyone over this issue. I honestly just feel this is one of the most ridiculous issues of our time. If people want to live an odd life that’s on them, I don’t begrudge them for doing so, but I also don’t have to play along either. I think that is a fair social contract.

Honestly, for me it is just a matter of life experiences that have allowed me to know a bit more about this than a lot of people. My trans cousin only came out recently about it, but my knowledge and understanding is based more on my work and the people I know throughout the university at which I am employed including a psychology class in which I met two trans women that became good friends.

(11-14-2017, 11:21 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I have a serious question.  Can I tell people I don't like being referred to as cis? It sounds weird.   I mean who got to decide that for me?  

I don't see it as a problem. I have zero doubt that there would be people that would want to argue this, because there are people that like to argue everything. I know people that would be considered by definition trans but don't like to be labeled as such (just call them a woman or a man) and that courtesy is often extended to them, so it should be no different for you. I will just say that the term is becoming more prevalent in academic literature on the subject and is more and more commonly accepted in the social sciences, so you will probably see it much more.

The term cisgender (or shortened to cis) is only about 20 years old, based on a chemistry term. Cis and trans are used when discussing molecules and refer to placement of atoms on certain sides, and since cis and trans are opposites in that regard, I think this is why cis got picked up in common usage to be opposite of trans when referring to gender and sex. That being said, there are critics of the term within the LGBT+ community because of the cis and trans dichotomy excluding the intersex community. But that is a whole other conversation.