Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leon Hall
Love Leon for all he accomplished while here, but this dude must be asking for far too much money, wants something long term, or both. The bengals have said they were interested yet just went out and signed CB Corey Tindal, an I drafted FA they have already released once in the spring. On top of that, he's also visiting the Giants today. Is this Leon being greedy or does he deserve it at this point in his career?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/cin/cincinnati-bengals

"One day after learning first-round pick CB William Jackson III had a torn pectoral, the Bengals signed CB Corey Tindal. He was released just before camp started, and had been originally signed as an undrafted free agent this spring."

[url=https://www.facebook.com/dialog/share?href=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.com%2Fespn%2Fnow%3FnowId%3D21%2D0552501095994233759%2D4&app_id=116656161708917][/url]

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2016, 12:15 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Love Leon for all he accomplished while here, but this dude must be asking for far too much money, wants something long term, or both. The bengals have said they were interested yet just went out and signed CB Corey Tindal, an I drafted FA they have already released once in the spring. On top of that, he's also visiting the Giants today. Is this Leon being greedy or does he deserve it at this point in his career

[url=https://www.facebook.com/dialog/share?href=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.com%2Fespn%2Fnow%3FnowId%3D21%2D0552501095994233759%2D4&app_id=116656161708917][/url]

A 31 year old CB with a medical history of 2 achilles tears and a bum back isn't going to get a long term deal with anyone

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Corey is camp fodder.

If they sign Leon it would be with the intent to use him opening day. It isn't like he needs practice, and as a consummate professional he must still be in shape. If he isn't in shape then he gets no deal.

In other words, it makes no sense to sign Hall now, especially as a response to our first round pick going down. It makes all the sense in the world to sign camp fodder to make sure another veteran or more important Db doesn't get hurt as well.

Really.....I can't believe you actually asked this question. The teams actions make perfect sense to me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2016, 01:38 PM)Stewy Wrote: Corey is camp fodder.

If they sign Leon it would be with the intent to use him opening day.  It isn't like he needs practice, and as a consummate professional he must still be in shape.  If he isn't in shape then he gets no deal.

In other words, it makes no sense to sign Hall now, especially as a response to our first round pick going down.  It makes all the sense in the world to sign camp fodder to make sure another veteran or more important Db doesn't get hurt as well.

Really.....I can't believe you actually asked this question.  The teams actions make perfect sense to me.

The funny thing about your post is the lack of reading comprehension you demonstrated in attacking my question. Considering I never questioned the teams actions, it makes one believe you were a tad off base in your response. 

I don't fault the organization one bit for not running out and signing him, rather, I wonder where Leon's head is when it comes to his contract. You and I know damn well that Leon wants to be signed sooner rather than later, to not only have a sense of comfort knowing he has his chance but also to give himself an opportunity to prove himself worthy of a contract. If not, he wouldn't be sniffing around other teams while the bengals are making it public they are very much interested. Also, I think it is no coincidence that he seemingly started receiving calls after WJIII went down. Teams are not stupid and will pluck him out from under us if we aren't careful and You better believe he  wants it now, but my main question is what in the world does he want?

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2016, 02:14 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: The funny thing about your post is the lack of reading comprehension you demonstrated in attacking my question. Considering I never questioned the teams actions, it makes one believe you were a tad off base in your response. 

I don't fault the organization one bit for not running out and signing him, rather, I wonder where Leon's head is when it comes to his contract. You and I know damn well that Leon wants to be signed sooner rather than later, to not only have a sense of comfort knowing he has his chance but also to give himself an opportunity to prove himself worthy of a contract. If not, he wouldn't be sniffing around other teams while the bengals are making it public they are very much interested. Also, I think it is no coincidence that he seemingly started receiving calls after WJIII went down. Teams are not stupid and will pluck him out from under us if we aren't careful and You better believe he  wants it now, but my main question is what in the world does he want?

I personally think he ends up the first place that gives him a fair contract.  If I am him, and the Giants offer me a contract today, I take it.  He obviously wants to play this year, and cannot wait for the Bengals to decide if they want him and/or have another injury.  Yes, the Bengals were good to him, but it's a business and he has to do what is in his own best interest.

I liked Hall all the way back to his Michigan days, but really wonder about him after so many injuries.
Reply/Quote
I can see why they might go after Leon, but we're not looking too bad without him. I think he'd strengthen our depth. I'm really starting to worry about Dennard. Why can't he stay healthy?

Jones, Adam
Kirkpatrick, Dre
Dennard, Darqueze (?)
Lewis-Harris, Chris
Shaw, Josh
Brown, Chykie
Hillary, Darius
Tindal, Corey

Jackson, William (out)
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be surprised to see Leon not sign with a team until week 2. Since he is a vested veteran, if he is on an opening day roster his salary for the entire year becomes fully guaranteed. If he signs after week one the guarantee drops to something like 25% if I recall correctly. I'm not sure a team wants to take a risk given his recent injury history but who knows.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2016, 12:15 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Love Leon for all he accomplished while here, but this dude must be asking for far too much money, wants something long term, or both. The bengals have said they were interested yet just went out and signed CB Corey Tindal, an I drafted FA they have already released once in the spring. On top of that, he's also visiting the Giants today. Is this Leon being greedy or does he deserve it at this point in his career?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/cin/cincinnati-bengals

"One day after learning first-round pick CB William Jackson III had a torn pectoral, the Bengals signed CB Corey Tindal. He was released just before camp started, and had been originally signed as an undrafted free agent this spring."

You sure seemed to compare signing Tindal had some relationship with passing on Leon or Leon not signing yet with Bengals, Tindal has no baring either way.. he is just a body for camp.. has nothing to do with Hall's decision making from my perspective

(08-03-2016, 02:14 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: The funny thing about your post is the lack of reading comprehension you demonstrated in attacking my question. Considering I never questioned the teams actions, it makes one believe you were a tad off base in your response. 

(08-03-2016, 03:11 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I personally think he ends up the first place that gives him a fair contract.  If I am him, and the Giants offer me a contract today, I take it.  He obviously wants to play this year, and cannot wait for the Bengals to decide if they want him and/or have another injury.  Yes, the Bengals were good to him, but it's a business and he has to do what is in his own best interest.

I liked Hall all the way back to his Michigan days, but really wonder about him after so many injuries.

(08-03-2016, 03:25 PM)Shady Wrote: I can see why they might go after Leon, but we're not looking too bad without him. I think he'd strengthen our depth. I'm really starting to worry about Dennard. Why can't he stay healthy?

Jones, Adam
Kirkpatrick, Dre
Dennard, Darqueze (?)
Lewis-Harris, Chris
Shaw, Josh
Brown, Chykie
Hillary, Darius
Tindal, Corey

Jackson, William (out)

(08-03-2016, 05:52 PM)NKYRob Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised to see Leon not sign with a team until week 2.  Since he is a vested veteran, if he is on an opening day roster his salary for the entire year becomes fully guaranteed.  If he signs after week one the guarantee drops to something like 25% if I recall correctly.  I'm not sure a team wants to take a risk given his recent injury history but who knows.
Reply/Quote
Nah, maybe I didn't explain it as well as I should as I was at work at the time, but my point was, did they go get Tindal because Leon is playing hardball trying to get more than his age and health deserves? I certainly don't want them to overpay him due to panicking over WJIII going down. 
In fact, I could care less if they sign him at all considering he has been visibly declining and I believe he should be a last ditch effort for us. Which brings me back to my original point of, in short, is he possibly overvaluing himself? I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have gotten his shot somewhere by now if not. 

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2016, 07:47 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Nah, maybe I didn't explain it as well as I should as I was at work at the time, but my point was, did they go get Tindal because Leon is playing hardball trying to get more than his age and health deserves? I certainly don't want them to overpay him due to panicking over WJIII going down. 
In fact, I could care less if they sign him at all considering he has been visibly declining and I believe he should be a last ditch effort for us. Which brings me back to my original point of, in short, is he possibly overvaluing himself? I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have gotten his shot somewhere by now if not. 

No.  I think Leon had a visit scheduled for today, and we needed a guy to be in practice today.

Being down two guys for today's practice, SOMEBODY had to get in there and take reps.

Tindal could do just that.

The way I've read what has been said by the club, Leon is OK with us having him on speed dial, but it may not be until week two...
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2016, 08:18 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: No.  I think Leon had a visit scheduled for today, and we needed a guy to be in practice today.

Being down two guys for today's practice, SOMEBODY had to get in there and take reps.

Tindal could do just that.

The way I've read what has been said by the club, Leon is OK with us having him on speed dial, but it may not be until week two...

Today was an off day, but I do see what you're saying.

Reply/Quote
Hall had back surgery this offseason. I am guessing that he is not 100% healthy yet. It takes a while to get over back surgery.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2016, 08:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hall had back surgery this offseason.  I am guessing that he is not 100% healthy yet.  It takes a while to get over back surgery.

Back issues are pretty serious.  I would know.. 

As much respect as I have for Leon Hall, for all of his courage in coming back from devastating injuries, for all of the good things he has done on the field in a Bengal uniform, I can't see the value in any team paying him much more than the veteran minimum to play on a one year deal.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2016, 08:35 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Today was an off day, but I do see what you're saying.

Well damn.  I didn't realize that.

Here I was, excited that there were no injuries today...
Reply/Quote
With what I've been reading out there, it would appear Leon might not be 100%. He is older, yet a very proven CB for us. I would have moved him to Safety a couple seasons ago, but I'm nobody...

So here's something out of the box.

Many media outlets are worried about the Dallas Cowboys Depth at QB. Apparently if Romo goes down, they are back to scrambling for another vet|unsigned Free-agent QB.

Just throwing this out there, is sounded like an opportunity, I guess...would you:

Trade our QB McCarron for their 5th year LSU CB Morris Claiborne?

He played with/against Dre, they are obviously linked, age-wise we could be looking at a great option in that position for many seasons...(PLUS) he also wears #24. The fact that Dallas has been waiting for a breakout year from this kid, the trade might be welcomed, or since they moved up 8 spots to get him we might have to use a possible 2nd|3rd rd draft pick to sweeten the deal. It might be worth it for both camps. AGAIN- just preseason gibberish, something to ponder.

Thoughts?

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
No. Macaroni needs to stay.

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 12:26 AM)CINwillWIN Wrote: With what I've been reading out there, it would appear Leon might not be 100%. He is older, yet a very proven CB for us. I would have moved him to Safety a couple seasons ago, but I'm nobody...

Many media outlets are worried about the Dallas Cowboys Depth at QB. Apparently if Romo goes down, they are back to scrambling for another vet|unsigned Free-agent QB.

Just throwing this out there, is sounded like an opportunity, I guess...would you:

He played with/against Dre, they are obviously linked, age-wise we could be looking at a great option in that position for many seasons...(PLUS) he also wears #24. The fact that Dallas has been waiting for a breakout year from this kid, the trade might be welcomed, or since they moved up 8 spots to get him we might have to use a possible 2nd|3rd rd draft pick to sweeten the deal. It might be worth it for both camps. AGAIN- just preseason gibberish, something to ponder.

Thoughts?

AJ makes less than 1 million and Claiborne makes a ton more so no I would have no interest in virtually giving a very good NFL QB away. If we did and Andy gets hurt again, we would be screwed.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 12:43 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: AJ makes less than 1 million and Claiborne makes a ton more so no I would have no interest in virtually giving a very good NFL QB away. If we did and Andy gets hurt again, we would be screwed.

McCarron will ride that bench all season...if we are lucky.

Claiborne can start, and make an impact now. What is money? We (Bengals organization) is always under the cap. 

Thank you for your post. 

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 12:38 AM)jeremydc Wrote: No. Macaroni needs to stay.

Andy is this franchise's QB. ...Not McCarron.  If the Bengals can get something out of a player who could make a direct impact now? 

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 12:26 AM)CINwillWIN Wrote: With what I've been reading out there, it would appear Leon might not be 100%. He is older, yet a very proven CB for us. I would have moved him to Safety a couple seasons ago, but I'm nobody...

Thoughts?

Where do we sign up?

Reply/Quote