Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's talk DT's
(03-05-2016, 02:19 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: They are literally the only 2 major deals up in the next few years. 
And it's two of the lowest paid positions on offense. 

Zeitler shouldn't command too much money. I'd work towards something similar of Boling's deal. 

Eifert may be a little trickier because of the crazy TE money that has been handed out recently.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 02:35 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Zeitler shouldn't command too much money. I'd work towards something similar of Boling's deal. 

Eifert may be a little trickier because of the crazy TE money that has been handed out recently.

It's crazy but it isn't WR crazy. 
And his injury history will aid us. 

The fact that Z doesn't have a LTE right now is a joke. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 02:42 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It's crazy but it isn't WR crazy. 
And his injury history will aid us. 

The fact that Z doesn't have a LTE right now is a joke. 

Beat guys said the FO talked extension with Zeitler's camp before last season, but nothing materialized. AJ was the only approached player who signed an extension.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 02:42 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The fact that Z doesn't have a LTE right now is a joke. 

You shouldn't be so hard on Zeitler.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You shouldn't be so hard on Zeitler.

Huh? 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You shouldn't be so hard on Zeitler.

Hey, not everyone can have LTE coverage.

Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 06:40 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This little nugget is from the latest Hobson's Choice:
Sick

Frickin disgusting.

The best DT class in years and we are going to ignore it cause Peko had an "okay" year?!!! Shocked

Pathetic, i doubt we make the Playoffs next year if this is the org's thought process.
Reply/Quote
Take two DTs this year. Take the best available 1-technique (NT, run stuffer) in the first or second round and take a guy like Darius Latham in the 7th that can develop. Peko is nice, but this draft provides better for cheaper.

Don't forget the Bengals met with Odemeke or whatever his name is from Canada. Strong as an ox and 350 lbs, only played football the past few years. Wouldn't surprise me if the team took him.

That said, I expect the roster next year to carry 4 DTs: Atkins, "draft pick", Hardison and Williams. They'll cut Peko at the end and maybe Thompson sticks around on IR. They'll have one more DT on the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 10:46 PM)WrongVerb Wrote: Take two DTs this year. Take the best available 1-technique (NT, run stuffer) in the first or second round and take a guy like Darius Latham in the 7th that can develop. Peko is nice, but this draft provides better for cheaper.

Don't forget the Bengals met with Odemeke or whatever his name is from Canada. Strong as an ox and 350 lbs, only played football the past few years. Wouldn't surprise me if the team took him.

That said, I expect the roster next year to carry 4 DTs: Atkins, "draft pick", Hardison and Williams. They'll cut Peko at the end and maybe Thompson sticks around on IR. They'll have one more DT on the practice squad.

The way it sounds they dont even see DT as an early round need. I dont see any way peko is cut this season either way, he played much better last year when he was put back into a more even rotation. That said I want a DT in the first 2 rounds this year and I am all for grabbing two.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 11:33 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: The way it sounds they dont even see DT as an early round need. I dont see any way peko is cut this season either way, he played much better last year when he was put back into a more even rotation. That said I want a DT in the first 2 rounds this year and I am all for grabbing two.

Given their recent history I would grant the team a lot of leeway in personnel decisions. If they keep Peko they probably have a reason for doing so.

That said I also have a personal bias. I think NFL teams are built on the lines and at QB, so you should always take a OL, DL or QB in the first round. Talking of taking Lee or Doctson or a CB in the first leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That's just me though.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 10:46 PM)WrongVerb Wrote: That said, I expect the roster next year to carry 4 DTs: Atkins, "draft pick", Hardison and Williams. They'll cut Peko at the end and maybe Thompson sticks around on IR. They'll have one more DT on the practice squad.

No way in hell they cut Peko and keep Williams.

When we released Williams every team in the league passed on him before we re-signed him to our practice squad.  Meanwhile Peko played 50 percent of the snaps for a top 5 defense and had 5 sacks
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2016, 10:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No way in hell they cut Peko and keep Williams.

When we released Williams every team in the league passed on him before we re-signed him to our practice squad.  Meanwhile Peko played 50 percent of the snaps for a top 5 defense and had 5 sacks

Nor, according to Hobson will they cut Sims and Thompson
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2016, 12:40 PM)3wt Wrote: Nor, according to Hobson will they cut Sims and Thompson

What?

Sims and Thompson are FA's. And Thompson is recovering from injury so we currently have two roster spots open at DT. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sims back on a one year deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2016, 02:21 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: What?

Sims and Thompson are FA's. And Thompson is recovering from injury so we currently have two roster spots open at DT. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sims back on a one year deal.

Hobs said he thinks we migt bre-sign both.

But re-signing players does not mean they automatically make the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 11:33 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: The way it sounds they dont even see DT as an early round need. I dont see any way peko is cut this season either way, he played much better last year when he was put back into a more even rotation. That said I want a DT in the first 2 rounds this year and I am all for grabbing two.

Every year, I see a lot of fans wanting a DT in the 1st couple of rounds, and every year we get reminded of the Bengals approach at the position. Marvin has never drafted a DT in the 1st and only one in the 2nd. Of the 11 DT's he has drafted, 8 came after the 3rd round...

1st-(none)
2nd- Still
3rd- Sims, Thompson
4th- Askew, Peko, Atkins, Hardison
5th- Shirley
6th- Langston, Toeaina
7th- McDonald

I would expect that to continue this year, especially with a relatively deep DT class.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 03:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Every year, I see a lot of fans wanting a DT in the 1st couple of rounds, and every year we get reminded of the Bengals approach at the position. Marvin has never drafted a DT in the 1st and only one in the 2nd. Of the 11 DT's he has drafted, 8 came after the 3rd round...

1st-(none)
2nd- Still
3rd- Sims, Thompson
4th- Askew, Peko, Atkins, Hardison
5th- Shirley
6th- Langston, Toeaina
7th- McDonald

I would expect that to continue this year, especially with a relatively deep DT class.

Never drafted a guard in the first until we did.
Never drafted a TE in the first until we did (twice)

Peko and Atkins were drafted a long time ago. Since then no DL players have panned out, most of them burned out without even making the slightest whisper on the field. 

Their approach is garbage and is hurting the long term potential of this team. 
Got lucky in 2010 with Geno. 
Time to actually try and get some top talent back on the DL so 50% of your production isn't reliant on one guy being on the field. 

That's how teams exploit us and beat us. A team that can keep the base 4-3 defense on the field and throw the ball is one that gives us trouble. Why? Because it essentially eliminates the threat of half the DL in terms of pass rush. We need to stop allowing them to do that. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 03:43 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Never drafted a guard in the first until we did.
Never drafted a TE in the first until we did (twice)

Peko and Atkins were drafted a long time ago. Since then no DL players have panned out, most of them burned out without even making the slightest whisper on the field. 

Their approach is garbage and is hurting the long term potential of this team. 
Got lucky in 2010 with Geno. 
Time to actually try and get some top talent back on the DL so 50% of your production isn't reliant on one guy being on the field. 

That's how teams exploit us and beat us. A team that can keep the base 4-3 defense on the field and throw the ball is one that gives us trouble. Why? Because it essentially eliminates the threat of half the DL in terms of pass rush. We need to stop allowing them to do that. 

I agree with what you're saying, I just don't see them drafting one in the 1st two rds this year. Hopefully, I'm dead wrong about that...because there are some very talented DT's that will be had in the late 1st and 2nd. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 03:57 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I agree with what you're saying, I just don't see them drafting one in the 1st two rds this year. Hopefully, I'm dead wrong about that...because there are some very talented DT's that will be had in the late 1st and 2nd. 

This is the year to draft one.

A lot of very good players. 
We could potentially lose all 3 back up DTs from last year.
Gilberry
Sims
Thompson

Quite frankly, I wouldn't bring any of them back. We need some serious overhaul on the DL. 
Hardison and Williams should work out nicely but we need at least 2 more. 1 true DT and a DE/DT
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 03:59 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: This is the year to draft one.

A lot of very good players. 
We could potentially lose all 3 back up DTs from last year.
Gilberry
Sims
Thompson

Quite frankly, I wouldn't bring any of them back. We need some serious overhaul on the DL. 
Hardison and Williams should work out nicely but we need at least 2 more. 1 true DT and a DE/DT

A true speed rusher off the edge would be nice as well. I'm with you in thinking that the D-line needs some infusion of new talent. I thought Hardison was a nice addition last year. 

They really need to end the Hunt failed experiment as well. I still have some hope for Clarke, but he has to show some real progress this year.
Reply/Quote
We need to take at least 1 DT in the first 3 rounds.

As of right now we have Atkins, Peko, Williams, and Hardison. Peko is in the last year of his deal and needs fewer snaps to play with any of effectiveness. We know very little with Hardison and Williams. Thompson is recovering from a torn ACL and is visiting Seattle. I'm sure we'll bring Sims back at some point when we'll offer up another 1 year minimum deal.

This is the perfect year to draft a DT or two.
Reply/Quote