Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk Tee Higgins for a minute.
I think in time Tee Higgins is going to be a very very good WR.
I think the Bengals got a great value pick in him.

Before Burrow got hurt, him and Higgins were really getting in sync
With each other. They were developing trust and chemistry.

But since Burrow went down, Higgins has really struggled to make big plays
Downfield. Hes only averaging 40 yds a game recieving. (I could be wrong Im going
Off memory.) I know for fact his yards per catch is down since JB went down

One trend Ive noticed with him is Higgins is having concentration issues
And his routes are becoming predictable
Id like to see him.run more whip routes and deep post routes.
I see him run routes that DBs are just sitting on.
I hope he reaches 1000 yds this year.
But I dont think he gets it if ZT doesnt start using more of the route tree with him
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 11:30 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think in time Tee Higgins is going to be a very very good WR.
I think the Bengals got a great value pick in him.

Before Burrow got hurt, him and Higgins were really getting in sync
With each other. They were developing trust and chemistry.

But since Burrow went down, Higgins has really struggled to make big plays
Downfield. Hes only averaging 40 yds a game recieving. (I could be wrong Im going
Off memory.) I know for fact his yards per catch is down since JB went down

One trend Ive noticed with him is Higgins is having concentration issues
And his routes are becoming predictable
Id like to see him.run more whip routes and deep post routes.
I see him run routes that DBs are just sitting on.
I hope he reaches 1000 yds this year.
But I dont think he gets it  if ZT doesnt start using more of the route tree with him

When the QB only completed 7 passes and only 2 in the second half, it's hard for any receiver to establish big play potential. On Monday that was enough to win, but it hasn't been most weeks, which is why the Bengals haven't been winning.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I like Tee a lot. I just wish he had that extra gear to break away and take it to the house. He’s been extremely impressive for a rookie though. I do wonder if he’ll look as good once AJ is gone. AJ still draws a lot of attention.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 11:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I like Tee a lot. I just wish he had that extra gear to break away and take it to the house. He’s been extremely impressive for a rookie though. I do wonder if he’ll look as good once AJ is gone. AJ still draws a lot of attention.

I noticed that too. He just lacks that extra gear to leave guys in the dust. And I thought he looked faster at Clemson. 
I noticed alot of catches has him lined up on the right side of the formation
Reply/Quote
I'd agree that he doesn't have that breakaway speed.

Honestly, I think he's got something more important: placement. Several times this season with Burrow he's been exactly where he needs to be to make the catch. And they've mostly been solid catches, not just 'oh look, the ball is two feet over his head but he adjusted.' Over the shoulder, on the numbers, whatever, Tee has been where he's supposed to be. That's partly Burrow, but partly him.
Reply/Quote
How important is this extra gear when he's fairly physically imposing, has good hands, and clearly has a pretty good knack for the game? His production hasn't fallen off a cliff without Burrow. He's just lacking those bigger plays that he was making. He would've had a TD reception Monday if Finley could've hit him. No OTAs, no preseason, questionable coaching, and he's a rookie... That dude ain't too bad.

I think by year 3-4 in the league (barring catastrophe) his baseline is a "poor man's Julio Jones". I think he's a future top 10 receiver.

And of course he looked faster at Clemson... He was playing against guys that are sales reps now. But seriously, he was the most matchup proof receiver we had while we still had NFL QB play, and I don't think it had anything to do with AJ Green being on the field.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 12:57 AM)jason Wrote: How important is this extra gear when he's fairly physically imposing, has good hands, and clearly has a pretty good knack for the game? His production hasn't fallen off a cliff without Burrow. He's just lacking those bigger plays that he was making. He would've had a TD reception Monday if Finley could've hit him. No OTAs, no preseason, questionable coaching, and he's a rookie... That dude ain't too bad.

I think by year 3-4 in the league (barring catastrophe) his baseline is a "poor man's Julio Jones". I think he's a future top 10 receiver.

And of course he looked faster at Clemson... He was playing against guys that are sales reps now. But seriously, he was the most matchup proof receiver we had while we still had NFL QB play, and I don't think it had anything to do with AJ Green being on the field.

There were absolutely games where teams had their CB1 on AJ. The Browns did it with Ward, and Philly did it with Slay. AJ being on the field makes a difference. Tee is probably good enough no matter what, but it will be something I’m curious to see going forward.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 12:57 AM)jason Wrote: How important is this extra gear when he's fairly physically imposing, has good hands, and clearly has a pretty good knack for the game? His production hasn't fallen off a cliff without Burrow. He's just lacking those bigger plays that he was making. He would've had a TD reception Monday if Finley could've hit him. No OTAs, no preseason, questionable coaching, and he's a rookie... That dude ain't too bad.

I don't think he's a poor man's Julio.  Honestly, I think he's a poor man's AJ Green.  Big bodied, can go up and get it, but also shows good short area quickness and route running ability.  He has similar negatives with concentration drops and ball security, too.  Additionally, while AJ had average speed, Tee is on the slow side.  He's not Auden Tate slow, but even if he gets behind the defense, they can run him down and make the tackle.  That means DC's  don't have to respect him as much.  He'll be a good productive receiver for us, but we'll need a downfield threat to pair with him.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 01:20 AM)Whatever Wrote: I don't think he's a poor man's Julio.  Honestly, I think he's a poor man's AJ Green.  Big bodied, can go up and get it, but also shows good short area quickness and route running ability.  He has similar negatives with concentration drops and ball security, too.  Additionally, while AJ had average speed, Tee is on the slow side.  He's not Auden Tate slow, but even if he gets behind the defense, they can run him down and make the tackle.  That means DC's  don't have to respect him as much.  He'll be a good productive receiver for us, but we'll need a downfield threat to pair with him.

I agree. Julio is a physical freak in a league of physical freaks. Tee doesn’t have that kind of physicality to him. He has a similar skillset to AJ but is a gear slower than AJ was.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 01:20 AM)Whatever Wrote: I don't think he's a poor man's Julio.  Honestly, I think he's a poor man's AJ Green.  Big bodied, can go up and get it, but also shows good short area quickness and route running ability.  He has similar negatives with concentration drops and ball security, too.  Additionally, while AJ had average speed, Tee is on the slow side.  He's not Auden Tate slow, but even if he gets behind the defense, they can run him down and make the tackle.  That means DC's  don't have to respect him as much.  He'll be a good productive receiver for us, but we'll need a downfield threat to pair with him.

I don't disagree... I went with poor man's Julio because Higgins is a bit more stout than AJ. That part is hyperbole anyway. What matters is that with competent QB play, Tee Higgins was going to be a 1,000ish yrd, and 8ish TD (speculation of course) rookie WR. He was a non factor in weeks 1 and 2 as well... We got a player on our hands in Tee Higgins.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Yeah, Higgins didn't run the 40 at the Combine and his Pro Day results (always a faster-than-combine number) was 4.59, so that will always be a slight problem. He just needs to focus on routes/hands/physicality to keep improving. I know he was always compared to/considered a poor man's AJ Green, but he *should* be watching/studying Anquan Boldin film.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I like Tee a lot. It’ll be interesting to see how he develops. He obviously compares closely to AJ with his style of play.

If you’re looking for a poor mans Julio Jones, I think the Steelers have him in Claypool. I liked him a lot in the draft last year.
Reply/Quote
I liked him at Clemson and I'm really impressed with how he's doing as a rookie.  I think that Bicknell has helped him to hit the ground running and I don't think that he has come close to maxing out his potential.  His catch radius and connectivity to his QB have been impressive.  He can block on the perimeter.  He doesn't have to go out and break ankles every play in order to be effective.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 02:22 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, Higgins didn't run the 40 at the Combine and his Pro Day results (always a faster-than-combine number) was 4.59, so that will always be a slight problem. He just needs to focus on routes/hands/physicality to keep improving. I know he was always compared to/considered a poor man's AJ Green, but he *should* be watching/studying Anquan Boldin film.

I wanted to see if anyone made this comparison before I responded.  I am hoping this is the player he develops in to.  Knows how to use his body to sheild defenders, sure-handed, tough, great routes.  Jerry Rice (don't kill me) wasn't the fastest guy, either, but he was so smooth in his routes he simply got open and had great hands and savvy.  
Reply/Quote
Rookie wr lost his starting QB and can’t get that many balls tossed his way because the QBs we have aren’t really 2nd string worthy or can’t keep them upright. They had to sign Kevin hogan who hasn’t done anything in the nfl in who knows how long.

Think it’ll be ok.
Reply/Quote
I was stoked when we got him in the 2nd, and that hasn't changed.

Here's a comparison for ya...in 2011 we got our franchise WR in the 1st, and our QB in the 2nd. Nine years later.....we flipped it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Hes going to be a very important piece in reshaping
This franchise forging ahead.
In the off season he needs to work on his speed
And I think getting stronger in the upper body
So he can catch more contested balls
Reply/Quote

Tee is a great add and all we need is to pair him with a deep threat whos name isnt Diana Ross....
Reply/Quote
For those clamoring for Tee to have an extra gear, he just doesn’t have it, nor was that reason he was drafted. If they bring in a receiver they need to bring in a burner deep threat option, because as of right now the team does not have it. That said Tee and and Boyd are incredible receivers, we just need that one extra piece to blow the top off.
Reply/Quote
His hands are really inconsistent.
Reply/Quote