Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Let the cuts begin
I didn't get to see any of the preseason games. It seems like this year's draft class might be sticking around this season.
Do you think there will be any surprise cuts or UDFA making a showing on the 53s?
Reply/Quote
I was feeling sorry for that Samoan guy #53.

He missed like every 1 on 1 tackle he had and on a few he could’ve blew up runs if he made the tackle or at least didn’t totally whiff.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 12:39 AM)Housh Wrote: I was feeling sorry for that Samoan guy #53.

He missed like every 1 on 1 tackle he had and on a few he could’ve blew up runs if he made the tackle or at least didn’t totally whiff.

He had a couple good bull pushes in pass rush, but he isnt ready.  Just a rookie, not sure if makes the PS with Davis, Gunter, Johnson III, Carney all vying for 2-3 slots.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 12:54 AM)casear2727 Wrote: He had a couple good bull pushes in pass rush, but he isnt ready.  Just a rookie, not sure if makes the PS with Davis, Gunter, Johnson III, Carney all vying for 2-3 slots.

I wouldn’t even PS his ass. His tackling was atrocious
-Housh
Reply/Quote
The very interesting decision to watch is if they give DJ Ivey a spot on the roster. Would be very impressive for a 7th round pick to make this roster in my opinion. I think he squeaks on and Sidney Jones is the odd man out.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
I think there are very few real questions. In no particular order

1) does Stanley Morgan’s special teams play keep him on the team at WR7
2) does Mike Thomas’s special teams play keep him on the team at S4 or even 5
3) did Tanner Hudson beat out Mitch Wilcox for TE3 or do they keep 4 on the 53
4) did Raymond Johnson do enough to break into the DT ranks?
5) is Jake Browning QB2 or are they shopping the waiver wires?
6) are any of the injuries (Ossai-ankle, Smith-shoulder, Turner-hamstring) serious enough for a stint on IR?
7) did they see enough from Scharping for him to be C2?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 01:33 AM)pally Wrote: I think there are very few real questions.  In no particular order

6) are any of the injuries (Ossai-ankle, Smith-shoulder, Turner-hamstring) serious enough for a stint on IR?
Interesting Thomas might have made the team by his secondary play last nite, maybe a reminder the savvy veteran can still contribute on defense.
 I think DJ is in the running to make team. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 01:33 AM)pally Wrote: I think there are very few real questions.  In no particular order

All very good questions and I think your spot on.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 07:24 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Interesting Thomas might have made the team by his secondary play last nite, maybe a reminder the savvy veteran can still contribute on defense.
 I think DJ is in the running to make team. 

You may be right on Thomas. At first I thought he may have been off the team. But Battle seemed to struggle last night and some of those mistakes may have been in part due to mistakes Tycen made. Sucks because both of those guys had a great opportunity to really show out last night. Not feeling great about the safety room outside of Dax. One thing is for sure you have to respect how Thomas has handled this whole thing with the younger players definitely a class act.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure if the rules changed. It used to be you had to keep a guy on the original 53 man roster on cut down day. Then you can put him on IR the next day. And they will be eligible to return. Anybody know if that is still the case?
Reply/Quote

Mitchell Wilcox will make the 53. He's a solid backup and special teams leader. Hudson will have to force a case for 4 TEs. I would say Decin Asasi's bad pre-season play ends with him on waivers.

Scharping is interesting at Center because he got a ton of snaps there this pre-season. He was very bad week 1 but was better the last 2. I'm not a fan of Scharping but it says alot about how they feel about Hill and Brown. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 08:48 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I'm not sure if the rules changed. It used to be you had to keep a guy on the original 53 man roster on cut down day. Then you can put him on IR the next day. And they will be eligible to return. Anybody know if that is still the case?

Good point. I believe that's still the case it was last year and I don't think it changed. Gonna be some hard cuts on the Dline I think RJIII showed enough to make the team last night. Tufele with some good push against starters as well. I think a guy like Charlie Jones is probably a lock and while he looked better in the slot does not appear to give us anything special at least this year. I also think we probably go 4 RBs I think Evans probably showed enough on special teams and depth at RB.
Reply/Quote
It would've been interesting to see Jackson get some reps at punt returner. I'm sure they looked at him in camp in that role. He has looked quick throughout the preseason.
Reply/Quote
Believe Thomas makes the team and hoping they do keep 4 TE's

or release Sample and keep Wilcox and Hudson, but doubt it happens. Would feel much more comfortable with Hudson and Wilcox if Irv Smith gets hurt again.

Think Smith will be very good and expecting a great season just like the last two TE FA's added. Yet he seems jinxed when it comes to injuries

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 09:03 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe Thomas makes the team and hoping they do keep 4 TE's

or release Sample and keep Wilcox and Hudson. Would feel much more comfortable with Hudson and Wilcox if Irv Smith gets hurt again.

Think Smith will be very good and expecting a great season just like the last two TE FA's added. Yet he seems jinxed when it comes to injuries

I wonder if we can keep 4 TEs with the tough decisions in other spots. I also wonder with what RJ3 showed plus Ossai getting a little dinged up if he makes the team. Hudson is probably the guy I've been pulling for the most with the early camp reports of his play and he continued to show in preseason games. I think Sample is in with him not even playing yesterday.

Interesting on Smith you reminded me we haven't even seem him yet and it'll very interesting week 1 what kind of impact he will have on the offense week 1.
Reply/Quote
It will be interesting to see what they do on the Offensive and Defensive Lines. The Defensive line is stacked very little room to break in there. The Offensive Line no one has distinguished themselves to take a spot (maybe Scharping) Will they keep 10?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 09:23 AM)Synric Wrote: It will be interesting to see what they do on the Offensive and Defensive Lines. The Defensive line is stacked very little room to break in there. The Offensive Line no one has distinguished themselves to take a spot (maybe Scharping) Will they keep 10?

Maybe that's how they squeeze another spot some place else. I wonder if they only keep 9 OL with Collins on the PUP. That does mean he doesn't count on the 53 correct? I wonder if Smiths injury is serious and if that's changed anything as he was showing decently this camp. But with Adeniji, Carman, Scharping and whoever the 4th guy would be that seems like decent depth then have Collins coming back at some point.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 09:03 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe Thomas makes the team and hoping they do keep 4 TE's

or release Sample and keep Wilcox and Hudson. Would feel much more comfortable with Hudson and Wilcox if Irv Smith gets hurt again.

Hudson is the 2nd best receiver in the TE ranks. Wilcox still appears to be the better blocker and special teams player. What the team really needs is a Mitch Hudson or a Tanner Wilcox.

I think special teams wins out for this TE3. So do they go one more deep or does TE4 languish on the PS squad until needed. And based on Bengals history, he will be needed

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 09:41 AM)pally Wrote: Hudson is the 2nd best receiver in the TE ranks.  Wilcox still appears to be the better blocker and special teams player. What the team really needs is a Mitch Hudson or a Tanner Wilcox.

I think special teams wins out for this TE3.  So do they go one more deep or does TE4 languish on the PS squad until needed. And based on Bengals history, he will be needed

Has there any any talk about Irv Smith this camp? I literally can't remember any pod casts talking about him making any plays or doing anything. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 10:21 AM)TheFan Wrote: Has there any any talk about Irv Smith this camp? I literally can't remember any pod casts talking about him making any plays or doing anything. 

There has been some clips. From what little I've seen he may be used a little more down the field then we saw from Hurst. He seems to be having a good camp and probably a good indication of that is his lack of presence in the preseason games. 
Reply/Quote