Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Lets add more concern, DT is a real issue
We currently have zero DT's on the roster.  We do have 2 NG's in Reader and Shelvin.  

We have the option of sliding Sample inside and we could slide Hubbard inside with Ossai at end on passing downs.

The DT free agent market is very thin and the the draft is low with high quality 3 tech DTs.

BJ's stock is already on the rise.  He showed he could be a 3 down DT in the playoffs.

Ogunjobi suffered a very serious foot injury and he was very inconsistent, especially vs the run, but did make some splash plays.

Hicks and Campbell are old.

Other prospects are run stuffers only.

We desperately need at least one vet at this spot, I have no doubt they will draft one.  Dline was a great advantage this past season as we rarely had to blitz and became a great run stuffing defense.

I, like many, would love to see FA take care of the majority of our needs and draft BPA but...

Will we be forced to draft a DT early if we dont get a solid guy in FA?

Will be forced to draft a safety early with the Bates situation and Bell in his contract year?

Will we be forced to draft an OT early with options so limited in free agency?

I think CB would have been a nice option but with the availably in free agency it isnt as desperate.

We got lucky this past season with the Hill trade, with Awuzie and Hendrickson's great play.  

Maybe we can pull off the Tunsil trade this year?

Hill and Ogunjobi were very inexpensive this past season, I fear we will not have that luxury this season.

DT is a real concern and may not be cheap to fill, thus impacting Oline.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 02:50 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We currently have zero DT's on the roster.  We do have 2 NG's in Reader and Shelvin.  

We have the option of sliding Sample inside and we could slide Hubbard inside with Ossai at end on passing downs.

The DT free agent market is very thin and the the draft is low with high quality 3 tech DTs.

BJ's stock is already on the rise.  He showed he could be a 3 down DT in the playoffs.

Ogunjobi suffered a very serious foot injury and he was very inconsistent, especially vs the run, but did make some splash plays.

Hicks and Campbell are old.

Other prospects are run stuffers only.

We desperately need at least one vet at this spot, I have no doubt they will draft one.  Dline was a great advantage this past season as we rarely had to blitz and became a great run stuffing defense.

I, like many, would love to see FA take care of the majority of our needs and draft BPA but...

Will we be forced to draft a DT early if we dont get a solid guy in FA?

Will be forced to draft a safety early with the Bates situation and Bell in his contract year?

Will we be forced to draft an OT early with options so limited in free agency?

I think CB would have been a nice option but with the availably in free agency it isnt as desperate.

We got lucky this past season with the Hill trade, with Awuzie and Hendrickson's great play.  

Maybe we can pull off the Tunsil trade this year?

Hill and Ogunjobi were very inexpensive this past season, I fear we will not have that luxury this season.

DT is a real concern and may not be cheap to fill, thus impacting Oline.

Some cheap options I've found for 3T in FA:
- Sheldon Richardson
- Solomon Thomas
- Maurice Hurst

None of these guys are surefire elite, but you have to pay a premium for that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Some cheap options I've found for 3T in FA:
- Sheldon Richardson
- Solomon Thomas
- Maurice Hurst

None of these guys are surefire elite, but you have to pay a premium for that.

Sheldon may something left in the tank.

Thomas is a defensive end that moved inside and was productive played on a 1 year deal last year.

Hurst seems like a great option on paper, no idea why he isnt valued more? I know he had a calf injury.

Tim Settle may be an option?  He's huge for a DT, but athletic and only 24 yrs old.

Reply/Quote
Yep. I'm honestly kind of shocked that either Hill or Larry haven't been extended yet.

They will either have to draft interior DL or get a couple in FA. It's almost as big of a need as OL at this point.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Even with restructures the Saints will still need to make moves quickly to get under the cap by March 16th.

Two guys that are likely cap casualties for the Saints would be nice fits for the Bengals DT David Onyemata and CB Bradley Roby.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
BJ Hill will be on the roster 100% and this draft is deep at DT

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:30 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Sheldon may something left in the tank.

Thomas is a defensive end that moved inside and was productive played on a 1 year deal last year.

Hurst seems like a great option on paper, no idea why he isnt valued more? I know he had a calf injury.

Tim Settle may be an option?  He's huge for a DT, but athletic and only 24 yrs old.

Solomon Thomas I've always felt was a better fit as a 4-3 DT than a 3-4 DE. He doesn't have quite the length for DE.

Tim Settle is also a guy to possibly consider. He's someone that people pegged way more as a run stuffer than pass rusher coming into the league, but he's kinda been the opposite.

I'd be stoked if Bengals were able to retain Hill or Ogunjobi (pref. Hill) and then brought in one of these guys as a rotational piece.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:34 PM)Okeana Wrote: BJ Hill will be on the roster 100% and this draft is deep at DT

This is what I feel. We traded for BJ Hill and he should be very happy staying here and we will pay him for what he did for us.

We can draft a DT at 31 or even 63 that could be better than Ogunjobi. I absolutely love Devonte Wyatt DT Georgia and Travis
Jones DT UCONN. Jordan Davis sure blew everyone's mind with his forty but I need to see more of him on the football field to 
know if he would be a good pick or not.

Bottom line I think BJ Hill is back and we can get a cheap DT in the Draft relatively early and this is no longer a concern.

Take care of the OL in FA and bring back our own relatively speaking.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is what I feel. We traded for BJ Hill and he should be very happy staying here and we will pay him for what he did for us.

We can draft a DT at 31 or even 63 that could be better than Ogunjobi. I absolutely love Devonte Wyatt DT Georgia and Travis
Jones DT UCONN. Jordan Davis sure blew everyone's mind with his forty but I need to see more of him on the football field to 
know if he would be a good pick or not.

Bottom line I think BJ Hill is back and we can get a cheap DT in the Draft relatively early and this is no longer a concern.

Take care of the OL in FA and bring back our own relatively speaking.

Also Perrion Winfrey, Phidarian Mathis, and Matthew Butler in the draft.

Winfrey has jumped his way into the late 1st round convo.

Phidarian Mathis looks like a quintessential 2nd rounder. I think some are sleeping on him. Put up 9.0 sacks last year at Alabama. Some of those sacks were coverage sacks, but he should be very similar style player to BJ Hill, I think.

Butler is someone who intrigues me as a 3rd or 4th rounder. He's also well-rounded.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:34 PM)Okeana Wrote: BJ Hill will be on the roster 100% and this draft is deep at DT

Not sure we can say anything is 100% and several teams are looking at BJ.

This draft seems to be very top heavy as to DT3 that can compete immediately. Some decent NGs.

Reply/Quote
I’m actually not concerned at 3t, the FA class is actually flooded with guys who I’d be comfortable running out there. I’m actually of the belief we can get Hill/Larry production out of most guys in this FA class because it’s as much our situation as anything.
Reply/Quote
I'd still like to look at Calais Campbell on a 1-2 year deal with playing incentives like he had at the Ravens. Of course I'd like something much closer to 7-8M and not the 11M he was paid. We are going to have to develop some players; we can't afford FAs at every position. This might be a spot where we role the dice a little bit along with one of our OL positions and perhaps the TE spot.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Also Perrion Winfrey, Phidarian Mathis, and Matthew Butler in the draft.

Winfrey has jumped his way into the late 1st round convo.

Phidarian Mathis looks like a quintessential 2nd rounder. I think some are sleeping on him. Put up 9.0 sacks last year at Alabama. Some of those sacks were coverage sacks, but he should be very similar style player to BJ Hill, I think.

Butler is someone who intrigues me as a 3rd or 4th rounder. He's also well-rounded.

guys?

One guy I left off is Arden Key. Career DE slid inside this year, young and very tough.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 04:34 PM)casear2727 Wrote: guys?

One guy I left off is Arden Key. Career DE slid inside this year, young and very tough.

No offense, but I'm not having a 240 lb DT, especially in the AFC North trying to tackle Nick Chubb, JK Dobbins, and Najee Harris.
I'd be ok with him as a depth edge rusher though that on a very rare occasion rushes inside.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If you fix the OL, you can score 40 points on offense and the defense matters a bit less.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 04:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No offense, but I'm not having a 240 lb DT, especially in the AFC North trying to tackle Nick Chubb, JK Dobbins, and Najee Harris.
I'd be ok with him as a depth edge rusher though that on a very rare occasion rushes inside.

Key gained to over 260 with the Raiders, and gained weight again by the end of this season. 49ers are wanting him back, Jimmy G issue like every other FA for them. He’s an excellent athlete, I get the size for run stoppage but there are plenty of those, I’m looking for a pass rusher at that spot.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: I’m actually not concerned at 3t, the FA class is actually flooded with guys who I’d be comfortable running out there. I’m actually of the belief we can get Hill/Larry production out of most guys in this FA class because it’s as much our situation as anything.

I would like to have rhe consistency of BJ Hill back but like every year I expect teams to cut Defensive Tackles and Cornerbacks that are aging and getting to the high point of their cap hits.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 04:57 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Key gained to over 260 with the Raiders, and gained weight again by the end of this season.  49ers are wanting him back, Jimmy G issue like every other FA for them.  He’s an excellent athlete, I get the size for run stoppage but there are plenty of those, I’m looking for a pass rusher at that spot.

I get that but what do you do if Hill goes down?
You gonna start Shelvin next to Reader?

I just would rather add someone bigger than Key who can better handle run duties too if needed. I don't want Bengals to get into a habit of rotating between a clear run stopper and a clear pass rusher. It would easily give away what they're going to do.

EDIT - Also, when Key was with the Raiders, he had only 3.0 sacks across 3 years, 0 in his final season there. So I'm not sure the added weight helped him.
He had 6.5 for the 49ers this year but is listed at 240. He probably plays better with the lighter weight.
I just checked the 49ers depth chart from last year and Key was listed as DE for them.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 05:10 PM)Synric Wrote: I would like to have rhe consistency of BJ Hill back but like every year I expect teams to cut Defensive Tackles and Cornerbacks that are aging and getting to the high point of their cap hits.

Unless you're the Packers. Then you just start over the cap but still tag Adams and sign Rodgers to a huge extension lol.
NO CAP BRUH!
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 04:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If you fix the OL, you can score 40 points on offense and the defense matters a bit less.

And that's presumably the best way to attack this.
Reply/Quote