Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets give Marvin credit this season ....
It's a joke to defend Marvin Lewis as a good coach. Seriously stop.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 05:51 PM)yang Wrote: It's a joke to defend Marvin Lewis as a good coach.  Seriously stop.

He has a winning record despite playing for the worst owner in professional sports.

Hate all you want, but that is a fact.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 01:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Basically, the core of what people have dubbed "reboot 1.0" was already there, thanks to Duke Tobin...the guy who hasn't been getting enough credit for the turnaround.

Dillon, Warrick, and Simmons were part of the core of our playoff teams?

And if the talent was already here then why did they only win 4 games?  Coaching, maybe?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 05:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He has a winning record despite playing for the worst owner in professional sports.

Hate all you want, but that is a fact.

0-7 is not a winning record and it’s the only one I care about.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 06:17 PM)motoarch Wrote: 0-7 is not a winning record and it’s the only one I care about.

That's hilarious.  Another "fan" who would rather win 4 games and miss the playoffs than make the playoffs and lose.

Funny how these same fans that claim the regular season does not even matter to them start squealing when we lose regular season games.

Why are you even here now if the regular season is meaningless to you?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 05:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Coughlin only won Super Bowls because he worked for an owner that got him some help in free agency.  Just look at their '07 starting lineup....

Their leading receiver was Plaxico Burress who had multiple thousand yard seasons in Pitt before signing with the Giants. 
RT Kareem McKenzie was a three year starter with the Jets before signing with the Giants.  
OC Shaun Ohara was a two year starter for the Browns before signing with the Giants and going to 3 Pro Bowls. 
DT Fred Robbins was a 3 year starter with the Vikings before signing with the Giants. 
MLB Antonio Pierce was a starter in Washington before signing with the Giants and going to a Pro Bowl. 
LB Kawika Mitchell was a starter in Kansas City before signing with the Giants.  
CB Sam Madison was an All Pro with the Dolphins before signing with the Giants.

And how many Pro Bowl players ended up in Cincinnati because they refused to play for the team that rafted them and forced a trade to the Bengals. LOL

I don't even know if Coughlin would have won as many games as Marvin did here.  You can't just compare their records because Marvin was handicapped by working under Mike Brown.

But......Coughlin won division titles and playoff games with an expansion team.....and with no GM.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If from 2003-2017 Marvin Lewis had all of Bill Belichick's players, and vice versa... Marvin would still have 0 playoff wins and Bill would still have multiple Super Bowl rings.

Mike Brown is shit, but there have been a couple years where the Bengals had rosters talented enough to make SB runs. Marvin gets outcoached and his team looked unprepared in those situations every time.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Bottom Line.. Marvin Lewis sucks, Mike Brown sucks even more. Any questions?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 07:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If from 2003-2017 Marvin Lewis had all of Bill Belichick's players, and vice versa... Marvin would still have 0 playoff wins and Bill would still have multiple Super Bowl rings.

Mike Brown is shit, but there have been a couple years where the Bengals had rosters talented enough to make SB runs. Marvin gets outcoached and his team looked unprepared in those situations every time.

The loss to KC looked as if they didn’t even review film. Totally unprepared.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 08:11 PM)bengals73 Wrote: Bottom Line.. Marvin Lewis sucks, Mike Brown sucks even more. Any questions?

This guy gets it
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 08:27 PM)motoarch Wrote: This guy gets it

I don't hate Marvin.  He brought some respect back to Cincinnati -Which is great, but he just can't get over the hump and needs to go. 
Reply/Quote
I don’t hate him either I just go into every season hoping for the best but... eh you get it
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 08:31 PM)bengals73 Wrote: I don't hate Marvin.  He brought some respect back to Cincinnati -Which is great, but he just can't get over the hump and needs to go. 

I don't hate Marvin either In fact I'm sure he's a really good guy. But he's not a really good NFL HC, he's very average at best.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t even mind if he were in the front office because he has done a good job at time in selecting talent. The last few draft haven’t been as strong as some previous ones but overall I’m happy with the talent on the field over the last 16years. I just wish someone else was on the sidelines.
Reply/Quote
I don't hate Marv. He's a good coach, but has serious limitations. I appreciate his efforts, especially early on in his tenure. His teams never quit, and he brought the team back into some semblance of relevance. His talents are well suited to a gm vp position, but he has no interest in that it's past time for a new direction...
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
yang Wrote:It's a joke to defend Marvin Lewis as a good coach.  Seriously stop.

But he turned the culture of the team around in 2003 ! Can't we give him a 17th chance ? He's a defensive guru and we are have a great defense this year were 31st in the league. He also coaches his best in big games.  :giggle:
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 05:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Coughlin only won Super Bowls because he worked for an owner that got him some help in free agency.  Just look at their '07 starting lineup....

Their leading receiver was Plaxico Burress who had multiple thousand yard seasons in Pitt before signing with the Giants. 
RT Kareem McKenzie was a three year starter with the Jets before signing with the Giants.  
OC Shaun Ohara was a two year starter for the Browns before signing with the Giants and going to 3 Pro Bowls. 
DT Fred Robbins was a 3 year starter with the Vikings before signing with the Giants. 
MLB Antonio Pierce was a starter in Washington before signing with the Giants and going to a Pro Bowl. 
LB Kawika Mitchell was a starter in Kansas City before signing with the Giants.  
CB Sam Madison was an All Pro with the Dolphins before signing with the Giants.

And how many Pro Bowl players ended up in Cincinnati because they refused to play for the team that rafted them and forced a trade to the Bengals. LOL

I don't even know if Coughlin would have won as many games as Marvin did here.  You can't just compare their records because Marvin was handicapped by working under Mike Brown.

Be honest. Who had more talent to work with? Coughlin with the Giants or Marv with the Bengals?

Free agency or not, AJ Green and Chad were both better than Plaxico. Palmer and Dalton are both better than Eli. We've had more talent on defense. Better o-lines. 

(10-25-2018, 05:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dillon, Warrick, and Simmons were part of the core of our playoff teams?

And if the talent was already here then why did they only win 4 games?  Coaching, maybe?

Yes, Brian Simmons was a core part of the 2005 playoff team with 84 tackles, 4 sacks and 2 INTs + leadership.

Dillon and Warrick helped with the 8-8 turnaround in 2004. 

Nice cherry picking though. What about Palmer, Chad, Housh, Rudi, Justin Smith, Willie, Levi and Braham?

To answer your question with some common sense, they didn't win because (a) no Palmer yet and (b) those players were all young and not blossomed yet and c) Lebeau was a terrible coach.

(10-25-2018, 08:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't hate Marvin either In fact I'm sure he's a really good guy. But he's not a really good NFL HC, he's very average at best.

Ditto. I was a huge Marvin guy before the playoff losses started to mount. I've even said recently that I'd love to see him go on a playoff run to salvage his legacy. I don't hate Marvin Lewis, I just love my team. If my team can do better, you can go kick rocks.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 01:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Be honest. Who had more talent to work with? Coughlin with the Giants or Marv with the Bengals?

We've had more talent on defense. Better o-lines. 

Coughlin.

Just looking at the '07 team.

They had TWO WRs with multiple 1000 yard seasons in Plaxico Burress (4) and Amani Toomer (5)
RB Brandon Jacobs had 2 seasons where he gained 1000 yards and averaged 5 yards per carry
TE Jeremy Shockey was 3X Pro Bowl and 1 X All-Pro 
LT David was Pro Bowl player
OC Shaun O'Hara was a 3 X Pro Bowl selection
RG Chris Snee was 3 X Pro Bowl and 1 X All Pro
DE Strahan was 7 X Pro Bowl and 4 X All Pro
DE Osi Umenyiora was 2 X Pro Bowl and 1 X All Pro
DE Justin Tuck was 2 X Pro Bowl and 1 X All Pro
MLB Antonio Pierce was 1 X Pro Bowl
CB Sam Madison was 4 X Pro Bowl and 2 X All Pro
QB Eli Manning 4 X Pro Bowl

That is 10 players who accumulated 30 Pro Bowl appearances including 6 players who had 10 All Pro seasons and one Hall of Fame player.  And that does not include 2 WRs with nine 1000 yard seasons and a RB with two 1000 yd, 5.0 avg seasons

Their is no comparison.  Coughlin had MUCH more talent to work with than Marvin ever had.
Reply/Quote
Why does everyone keep ignoring what Coughlin did in JAX?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 07:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If from 2003-2017 Marvin Lewis had all of Bill Belichick's players, and vice versa... Marvin would still have 0 playoff wins and Bill would still have multiple Super Bowl rings.

Belichick would not have multiple Super Bowl rings under Mike Brown (if the Dalton and palmer injuries still occurred)

His record would probably be better than Marvin's but even Bill gets decent free agent signings to help him win.
Reply/Quote