Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets talk Defense
Line-heavy this draft. Offensive and defensive.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Few comments.

1. We have the rest of the year to evaluate Atkins.

2. It is also way too early to judge our rookie LBs who were 3rd and 4th round picks. If you believe in "re-building with young talent" then you have to be willing to give them time to develop.

3. With Alexander and Jackson both being free agents after this season CB is a crucial position. We have no idea what Waynes will look like in our system after his injury.

4. Hubbard and Lawson are both decent pass rushers, but we nee more. Lts of team without great edge rushers use blitz packages to get pressure. And the success of a blitz package has more to do with coaching and design than the physical skills of the LBs and/or DBs used on the blitz.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 09:55 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: We all know Lou sucks so I dont want this to turn into a fire Lou tread because we all want that. However I really like Covington. Someone forgot to tell him he is a fat guy and not suppose to be making play sideline to sideline. I also really like what I see from Wilson. He isnt on the field much but when he is he seems to make thing happen. You cant teach the instincts he has. I would love to see him get more reps. On his sack he had rb coverage in the flat but saw the rb blocking and rather than standing around he took off at the qb getting our only sack of the day.
We are also not getting any pass rush other than Lawson. Should we use the speedy new lbs more to get some pressure on the qbs? I think we need to dial up some more manufactured pressure.

Covington has been our best DT hands down IMO.

Agreed on Logan Wilson of course, think we have a very special player. He has been extremely solid for a rookie and has made game
changing plays already in his young career. I was trying not to be bias for him being us both being Wyomin' boys but he has really 
made me proud. Our Safeties Bell and Bates had a great game against the Titans.

We have had some poor play with Bynes and no pass rush but overall we are improving as the year goes on with these young players.

Bring in a vet DC like Wade Phillips in the Offseason and we might get back to elite once we get our pass rush back.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 01:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I thought WJ3 had a rough game to my eye test, but apparently the numbers weren’t that bad?

Anyone have his pff grade?

Gave up 4 catches on 6 targets for 69 yards (17.3ypc), gave up 21yac with a long of 27, gave up 1 TD with no picks for a qb rating of 145.1

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 04:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So it’s impossible to get a sack (or even a pressure) in 19 snaps? Interesting. I thought it only took one...

In those 19 snaps, Geno did get 2 hurries and a 68.6 pass rush grade.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Definitely Bell’s best game as a Bengal. I’ve been disappointed by him so far this season, but both safeties were lights out today.

(11-02-2020, 07:03 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: And as much as we have been waiting on it, this was the highlight of the defense for me...

Von Bell was the highest rated player on D, 89.7 with a coverage grade of 90.2
Shawn Williams was next with a 88.3 overall and Bates was third with a 82.7

lol. The next highest grade was Hunt with a 64.1

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2020, 12:42 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 47.8

Gave up 4 catches on 6 targets for 69 yards (17.3ypc), gave up 21yac with a long of 27, gave up 1 TD with no picks for a qb rating of 145.1

WJ3's tackling on the AJ Brown TD was terrible. He deserves that grade for that alone IMO.

Mackenzie actually put a decent shot on him.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2020, 12:59 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Von Bell was the highest rated player on D, 89.7 with a coverage grade of 90.2
Shawn Williams was next with a 88.3 overall and Bates was third with a 82.7

lol. The next highest grade was Hunt with a 64.1

Damn Lawson being in the neutral zone hurt our entire D. Don't know what he was thinking...
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It will be a tough decision to pay him or not. That would be a lot of money tied up in 2 CB’s. I could honestly go either way on it.

CB is a position worth paying.

In any case the alternative is spending a high pick on CB instead of plugging the holes on the lines, giving out another contract like Waynes' in free agency or promoting Darius Phillips, spending on Mackensie Alexander and still having to spend a mid-round pick(s) on depth. Plus the Bengals are supposedly a draft and develop team. Until they took Burrow, he was the most successful first round pick we've had since at least Eifert. You shouldn't let guys like that walk.
Reply/Quote
A pass rush helps the backend more than anything. We need someone that strikes fear in the opposing offense. We're the only team in this division without a pass rush and it shows. Whether that's draft or free agency I'm not sure, but that has to be priority #1B this off-season with getting Burrow an offensive line being #1A.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 12:51 AM)AlphaBengal Wrote: A pass rush helps the backend more than anything. We need someone that strikes fear in the opposing offense. We're the only team in this division without a pass rush and it shows. Whether that's draft or free agency I'm not sure, but that has to be priority #1B this off-season with getting Burrow an offensive line being #1A.

I agree.  If you have an good pass rush, you can make terrible DBs look average and average DBs look good.  I have always soured on teams that overpay DBs when they have jack for pass rush.  If you gave me a choice of a terrorizing DE or guided missile OLB or a shutdown corner, I'd take the DE or OLB any day.  I guess we gotta talk about OLBs since we using more 3-4 looks.
Reply/Quote
We will probably (over)pay Jackson. He is a decent player and should be paid accordingly.

Someone said 25th rated CB. Poor tackler. That is a really low end CB1. It's a tough call. Especially with Alexander a FA, Phillips whining, and the fact we have not gotten a look at Waynes yet.

The D is a mess. Lou sucks.

Bright spots: Bates, Reader.

Sunshine breaking through clouds: Covington, Wilson, Bell, Williams.
Reply/Quote
As for the draft, some winnable games at the bottom today. Washington play the Giants. Jags vs Texans. Falcons host Denver. Chargers have a winnable game. As do the Pats.

We have zero chance to be as bad as the worst (Jets, Jags, Giants), but outside of those 3, we could end up 4th through 15th.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 12:11 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: As for the draft, some winnable games at the bottom today. Washington play the Giants. Jags vs Texans. Falcons host Denver. Chargers have a winnable game. As do the Pats.

We have zero chance to be as bad as the worst (Jets, Jags, Giants), but outside of those 3, we could end up 4th through 15th.

You have to add the Cowboys now, too. They’re terrible.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 12:51 AM)AlphaBengal Wrote: A pass rush helps the backend more than anything. We need someone that strikes fear in the opposing offense. We're the only team in this division without a pass rush and it shows. Whether that's draft or free agency I'm not sure, but that has to be priority #1B this off-season with getting Burrow an offensive line being #1A.

Agreed have to get a pass rush going on, it IS our 2nd biggest weakness behind O-line IMO.

(11-08-2020, 05:25 AM)Yogo Wrote: I agree.  If you have an good pass rush, you can make terrible DBs look average and average DBs look good.  I have always soured on teams that overpay DBs when they have jack for pass rush.  If you gave me a choice of a terrorizing DE or guided missile OLB or a shutdown corner, I'd take the DE or OLB any day.  I guess we gotta talk about OLBs since we using more 3-4 looks.

Well said, nice post. Get an End or a terrorizing OLB and Draft trenches. This is the way to build the team around Burrow rather
than overpaying for a CB. Even though I do like WJ3 and I am a bit skeptical of Waynes if we get a good pass rush it will cover 
up our back end as Alpha says. Would rather pay Alexander and keep him around. Damn good Slot corner, I really like Alexander.
Reply/Quote