Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linderbaum
(04-17-2022, 07:08 AM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Tristan Whirfs has a bunch of pro bowls.  Very cool and all but the buckeyes have a ton of offensive lineman starting or on 53 man rosters throughout the league and there's never been a point in time this wasn't the case for many decades now.
Other than qb osu is a machine that produces so much nfl talent their olinemen get over looked but they're there, they always have been.
Ppl think other big ten schools who aren't factories like state have better linemen....no, its just that if Wisconsin puts a guy in the first round, its almost always an olinemen.
Which Hawkeye other than linderbaum coming out this year?  If petit frere was states only prospect you'd be more aware of him.  Wilson and Olave are the main buckeyes you're hearing about but Petit Frere might be going in the first round too.

Ohio State did not produce a single quality starting OL with Greg Studwara as OL coach and it finally cost him his job.  There are a couple of good starters from OSU in the league in Corey Linsley and Taylor Decker, but both entered the NFL before Studwara took over.  The next best OL from OSU you'll find is Andrew Norwell, who also predates Studwara.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 07:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: Ohio State did not produce a single quality starting OL with Greg Studwara as OL coach and it finally cost him his job.  There are a couple of good starters from OSU in the league in Corey Linsley and Taylor Decker, but both entered the NFL before Studwara took over.  The next best OL from OSU you'll find is Andrew Norwell, who also predates Studwara.  

Ain't much of a stud coach that Studwara lol
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2022, 01:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Baker is hardly a hot commodity at this point. To say the least. Jury is still out on Hurts, but I personally don’t think Philly is sold on him. Not exactly the most impressive list.

Again - when I think of a school that’s specifically known for producing certain positions (Iowa; OL, LSU/Alabama/Clemson; WR, OSU; DE, etc) I’m talking top players at said positions.

Baker, Kyler, and Hurts have all gotten their teams to the playoffs.  Kyler was ORotY and is a 2x Pro Bowler.  

I mean, Oklahoma has produced more starting QB's in the past 5 drafts(Kyler, Baker, Hurts) than Iowa has produced starting OL(Wirfs, James Daniels) and the same number of respective Pro Bowlers in that span.  
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 08:05 PM)Whatever Wrote: Baker, Kyler, and Hurts have all gotten their teams to the playoffs.  Kyler was ORotY and is a 2x Pro Bowler.  

I mean, Oklahoma has produced more starting QB's in the past 5 drafts(Kyler, Baker, Hurts) than Iowa has produced starting OL(Wirfs, James Daniels) and the same number of respective Pro Bowlers in that span.  

We just pretending Brandon Scherff doesn’t exist?

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 09:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We just pretending Brandon Scherff doesn’t exist?

Not in the last 5 drafts
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 10:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not in the last 5 drafts

Yeah, 2015 is obviously ancient history… :rollseyes:

It’s not like guys are bringing up Orlando Pace or Sam Bradford or anything.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 10:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, 2015 is obviously ancient history… :rollseyes:

It’s not like guys are bringing up Orlando Pace or Sam Bradford or anything.

Dude said last 5 drafts. Scherff wasn't in the last 5 drafts. Sometimes you can just go with "point taken". 

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 10:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Dude said last 5 drafts. Scherff wasn't in the last 5 drafts. Sometimes you can just go with "point taken". 

I guess that could have been an arbitrary cutoff, but it’s almost like it was intentional to leave off an All Pro OG that was drafted out of Iowa just a couple years before.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 10:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I guess that could have been an arbitrary cutoff, but it’s almost like it was intentional to leave off an All Pro OG that was drafted out of Iowa just a couple years before.

Yep, 5 years is pretty arbitrary. he should have went with a more common cutoff like 4 or 7. 

As I said you could have just went with "point taken" but you don't have to. 

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 10:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yep, 5 years is pretty arbitrary. he should have went with a more common cutoff like 4 or 7. 

As I said you could have just went with "point taken" but you don't have to. 

We could also just go with guys that are currently in the league, and playing at the highest level. But it’s all good. Iowa has elite players at both OT and OG right now. I guess bringing up the likes of Baker and Hurts means something compared to that. I’m just not sure what.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 11:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We could also with just go with guys that are currently in the league, and playing at the highest level. But it’s all good. Iowa has elite players at both OT and OG right now. I guess bringing up the likes of Baker and Hurts means something compared to that. I’m just not sure what.

Point Taken 

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 10:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I guess that could have been an arbitrary cutoff, but it’s almost like it was intentional to leave off an All Pro OG that was drafted out of Iowa just a couple years before.

It actually wasn't an arbitrary cutoff.  We're discussing Linderbaum as a 1st round pick and the contract length for a 1st rounder with the fifth year option is 5 years.

We can stretch it out to 7 years and include Scherff and arguably Austin Blythe (starter 3 of 6 years in the league, but was a backup last year and still an unsigned FA this year).  We're still talking 3 of 32 starting QB's in the NFL vs. 4 of 160 starting OL hypothetically being filled in that timeframe.  

One school putting out 3 of the 32 starting QB's in the league is an extremely impressive accomplishment.  For all of them to be good enough to at least be able to get their teams into the playoffs is pretty ridiculous.  
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 11:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We could also with just go with guys that are currently in the league, and playing at the highest level. But it’s all good. Iowa has elite players at both OT and OG right now. I guess bringing up the likes of Baker and Hurts means something compared to that. I’m just not sure what.

Is it really that good of an argument that Iowa has two top level OL currently while Oklahoma only has one top level QB when there are 5x as many OL in the league?

If we're going apples to apples, how many top level C's does Iowa currently have in the NFL?
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 11:39 PM)Whatever Wrote: It actually wasn't an arbitrary cutoff.  We're discussing Linderbaum as a 1st round pick and the contract length for a 1st rounder with the fifth year option is 5 years.

Still kinda sounds arbitrary.....You shoulda went with 7 years 3 months. 

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 11:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: Is it really that good of an argument that Iowa has two top level OL currently while Oklahoma only has one top level QB when there are 5x as many OL in the league?

If we're going apples to apples, how many top level C's does Iowa currently have in the NFL?

None. Yet… Wink

Anyway, idc enough about guys like Baker Mayfield (who isn’t currently even a starter btw) or Jalen Hurts to keep debating who has the stronger case for “XX U” between Iowa and Oklahoma. I just know that I’ve seen Iowa referred to as “OL U” whereas I’ve never heard “QB U” for the latter. But I guess you could make such a case.

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 12:32 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Still kinda sounds arbitrary.....You shoulda went with 7 years 3 months. 

Coincidentally, I found out after posting that Tim Polacek had taken the Iowa OL Coach job in '17 and left to take the Wyoming OC gig in '21.  Since Scherff came out in '16, he wouldn't have even had the same position coach as Wirfs or Daniels.  George Barnett took the job last year.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 12:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: None. Yet… Wink

Anyway, idc enough about guys like Baker Mayfield (who isn’t currently even a starter btw) or Jalen Hurts to keep debating who has the stronger case for “XX U” between Iowa and Oklahoma. I just know that I’ve seen Iowa referred to as “OL U” whereas I’ve never heard “QB U” for the latter. But I guess you could make such a case.

I have seen Wisconsin mentioned as the OL factory for quite awhile.  Iowa has had a good deal of success, as well.  
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 12:50 AM)Whatever Wrote: Coincidentally, I found out after posting that Tim Polacek had taken the Iowa OL Coach job in '17 and left to take the Wyoming OC gig in '21.  Since Scherff came out in '16, he wouldn't have even had the same position coach as Wirfs or Daniels.  George Barnett took the job last year.

Yeah, folks see what they want to see. I just have difficulty grasping the logic that Baker Mayfield and Jalen Hurts "don't count" but James Daniels does.

When I think Iowa I don't think OL-U I do think TE-U

Reply/Quote
Honestly I wasn’t even thinking about Daniels. It’s more Wirfs and Scherff. Two of the very best at their respective positions.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 11:39 PM)Whatever Wrote: It actually wasn't an arbitrary cutoff.  We're discussing Linderbaum as a 1st round pick and the contract length for a 1st rounder with the fifth year option is 5 years.

We can stretch it out to 7 years and include Scherff and arguably Austin Blythe (starter 3 of 6 years in the league, but was a backup last year and still an unsigned FA this year).  We're still talking 3 of 32 starting QB's in the NFL vs. 4 of 160 starting OL hypothetically being filled in that timeframe.  

One school putting out 3 of the 32 starting QB's in the league is an extremely impressive accomplishment.  For all of them to be good enough to at least be able to get their teams into the playoffs is pretty ridiculous.  

In 2 or 3 years maybe before that Hurts and Baker will both be backups so it won't matter.
Reply/Quote