Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Local News anchor fired for Facebook Comments
(04-02-2016, 06:09 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Having your IP addy compromised ?

Other than that, I don't remember anything specific enough.

I'm not Fred, but I'm eager to obtain his level of awesomeness.
ThumbsUp

Oh yes, that was a dark time. Seemed we used to have an admin that was not mature enough for the position; but most of his personas have been weeded out. 

I do agree that Fred is awesome.  Can you imagine going through your life and never once concuring with a widely held belief of a person or thing? I mean we are talking Buddha level enlightenment. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-02-2016, 06:45 PM)6andcounting Wrote: "There's someone in your life today -- a stranger you're going to come across -- who could really use that. A hand up. A warm word. Encouragement. Direction. Kindness. A Chance. We can't change what's already happened, but we can be a part of what's on the way. Speak up. Reach out. Dare to Care. Give part of You to someone else. That, my friends, can change someone's course. And then -- just maybe THEN -- I'll start feeling again like there's something nice to say.”

Unless the busboy is a stranger in my life, she wasn't referring to the busboy.

She was clearly referring to the busboy and how no one had ever told him he was special.

There is no other way to interpret it.  Otherwise when she used the pronoun "that" in the first sentence you quoted you would have no idea what she was talking about.

If she really thought the busboy came from a stable home why would she assume that no one had ever given him any encouragement or told him he was special?

Good thing a nice white lady like her came along to give him something he could never get from his black family, right?  Rolleyes 
Hey Dino I think your left wing site called Biden a racist in one of your highlighted paragraphs. Just saying.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-02-2016, 07:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: She was clearly referring to the busboy and how no one had ever told him he was special.

There is no other way to interpret it.  Otherwise when she used the pronoun "that" in the first sentence you quoted you would have no idea what she was talking about.

If she really thought the busboy came from a stable home why would she assume that no one had ever given him any encouragement or told him he was special?

Good thing a nice white lady like her came along to give him something he could never get from his black family, right?  Rolleyes 

His glowing reaction to the compliment and pat on the back is a pretry good indication it was a special moment for him.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(04-02-2016, 07:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If she really thought the busboy came from a stable home why would she assume that no one had ever given him any encouragement or told him he was special?

And this is why she was fired?

Gee, I remember back in the day when Mike Wallace was caught on tape taking about minorities being "too busy eating their watermelons and tacos" and a sincere apology would suffice.
http://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/12/arts/wallace-taped-in-ethnic-remark.html

Or more recent when Dan Rather said "Obama couldn't sell watermelons"...
http://www.essence.com/2010/03/10/dan-rather-obama-couldnt-sell-watermelon
(04-02-2016, 08:36 PM)6andcounting Wrote: His glowing reaction to the compliment and pat on the back is a pretry good indication it was a special moment for him.

So what?  I came from a stable home and I still would have been glad if I got a compliment at work.  Especially from a famous TV personality.

Or she could have just been exaggerating in order to give herself more credit for saving this poor black boy from his heartless black family who could never give him any support or encouragement.
(04-02-2016, 07:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I am a WASP male; what could I possibly be a victim of? 

...and you play the part so well!

(04-02-2016, 07:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good thing a nice white lady like her came along to give him something he could never get from his black family, right?  Rolleyes 

As long as we are working on stereotypes the bus boy could have offered to give her a caliber of lovin' her white husband just couldn't give.  You know, stereotypically and all!  I also believe we can infer that once this white lady has gone down that route she would "never go back" to her inferiorally-endowed white husband.
(04-02-2016, 08:52 PM)Vlad Wrote: And this is why she was fired?

Gee, I remember back in the day when Mike Wallace was caught on tape taking about minorities being "too busy eating their watermelons and tacos" and a sincere apology would suffice.
http://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/12/arts/wallace-taped-in-ethnic-remark.html

Or more recent when Dan Rather said "Obama couldn't sell watermelons"...

Wow, 100 year-old white guys say racist stuff?  Man, you're just full of new perspectives!
(04-02-2016, 08:52 PM)Vlad Wrote: Or more recent when Dan Rather said "Obama couldn't sell watermelons"...

1.  There is nothing racists about using the word "watermelon" in the same sentence with "Obama".

2.  Rather apologized anyway.

3.  Rather could not be fired because he did not have a job.
(04-02-2016, 09:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  There is nothing racists about using the word "watermelon" in the same sentence with "Obama".

Would it be racist if I said "I'll bet Obama can chuck a spear"?

(04-02-2016, 09:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote:

...and you play the part so well!

And here I thought you'd go the Blackie Lawless route.
(04-02-2016, 10:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Would it be racist if I said "I'll bet Obama can chuck a spear"?

Most likely, but it depends on the context.

The phrase "Couldn't sell watermelons if he had the police to flag down traffic" has nothing to do with race.  That is different from claiming he probably likes watermelon just because he is black.
(04-02-2016, 10:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Would it be racist if I said "I'll bet Obama can chuck a spear"?

That phrase in and of itself is not racist.

However the implication that goes with it makes it one of those "weighted" words.

But surely no one would say that without implying what it meant historically.

Right? ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-02-2016, 10:09 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: And here I thought you'd go the Blackie Lawless route.

I also think of that 1979 disco album Elton John made in like 15 minutes called Victim Of Love.
(04-02-2016, 11:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Most likely, but it depends on the context.

The phrase "Couldn't sell watermelons if he had the police to flag down traffic" has nothing to do with race.  That is different from claiming he probably likes watermelon just because he is black.

(04-02-2016, 11:59 PM)GMDino Wrote: That phrase in and of itself is not racist.

However the implication that goes with it makes it one of those "weighted" words.

But surely no one would say that without implying what it meant historically.

Right? ThumbsUp

You "two" are too much. Don't ever change,

(04-03-2016, 12:13 AM)bfine32 Wrote: You "two" are too much. Don't ever change,

Well enough about me...

Rock On
(04-03-2016, 12:20 AM)GMDino Wrote: Well enough about me...

Rock On

Telling that you didn't say us. 

(04-03-2016, 12:23 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Telling that you didn't say us. 

Wait...you think Fred and I are the same?

Hilarious

Good thing that we still don't...

(04-02-2016, 07:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ... have an admin that was not mature enough for the position; but most of his personas have been weeded out. 

Soooo....enough about me.

Solid post though.

Mellow
(04-03-2016, 12:32 AM)GMDino Wrote: Wait...you think Fred and I are the same?

Nah. You just have a propensity to answer for him and he never disputes the answer. Most likely just kindred spirits. 

Why do you ask questions like this and then never discuss the answers?