Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logan Wilson possibly done for season
Zach Cunningham cut by Texans. He would be a good pickup for LB depth.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 01:08 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Cunningham wouldn't play until next week at the earliest anyways, if he was picked up (and probably even a week after that, as Hargreaves has shown), so he wouldn't solve our problems for this week.

Bailey was supposed to be a 2/3 rounder, if not for injury; here's his chance to prove his worth and he won't even be burdened with calling the plays either, so let's see what he can do.

I read he got a stinger Sunday, which is why Wilson was covering punts, has he been practicing this week?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 02:02 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I read he got a stinger Sunday, which is why Wilson was covering punts, has he been practicing this week?

Indeed, was a stinger.

Stingers usually cause a removal from the game for precautionary reasons and RARELY do they result in missed time, but we'll know at 1:40, as that's when practice is, according to either Ben Baby or James Rapien.

I believe he will be practicing, as Zac never mentioned anything at his pressers, as to the status of Bailey.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 11:55 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah, watching him run around out there, he looks really small BUT he's pretty fearless and he throws himself around like a bigger dude. And he's super smart. Has plans to coach when he retires. 

Def silly to even mention him with LBs though. 

I like him as a role player but not at Mike LB...
Reply/Quote
Heard tell that Joe Burrow thinks he's a linebacker.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 02:30 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed, was a stinger.

Stingers usually cause a removal from the game for precautionary reasons and RARELY do they result in missed time, but we'll know at 1:40, as that's when practice is, according to either Ben Baby or James Rapien.

I believe he will be practicing, as Zac never mentioned anything at his pressers, as to the status of Bailey.

Cool, yeah, know a little about them....lol. I had a minor one, they'll scare the crap out of you as a teenager.

In an odd twist to the rarely part of your post, I played with a guy that got what was thought to be a stinger, but never got any better during the week. He went to have it looked at, turned out a nerve that runs through the shoulder and neck area had gotten stretched. I had never heard of that before or since. He wound up missing the rest of the season. 

Reply/Quote
the good and ugly concerning Cunningham

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 02:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Cool, yeah, know a little about them....lol. I had a minor one, they'll scare the crap out of you as a teenager.

I had one too.  At least that is what I thought it was.  It was like getting hit on the "funny bone".  Whole arm went numb and tingly. 

I also had an Acromioclavicular Separation of my shoulder at the start of my sophomore year when I was just playing special teams.  It was not that serious, but I was able to keep out of typing class for weeks by wearing the sling at school even after I went back to practicing football.  I eventually got busted by the teacher, but she let me slide.  I was a great student in high school and often a "pet" of the teachers.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 02:55 PM)pally Wrote: the good and ugly concerning Cunningham

If the Texans cut ya, that's got to be bad.....
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 02:55 PM)pally Wrote: the good and ugly concerning Cunningham

I play him at LB for early downs then move to a sub package with an extra safety or CB for 3rd and medium+
Reply/Quote
Nothing wrong with signing a guy off the streets.  I just don't expect to sign a guy to step in and start and play at a high level.

We have gotten lucky in the past (Spain, Wallace Gilberry, Chris Crocker) but those are the exceptions to the general rule.  Usually you sign a guy off the street because he is better than the guys at the bottom of the roster, not the top.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 04:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If the Texans cut ya, that's got to be bad.....

Think it was more about saving money. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 05:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Think it was more about saving money. 

Supposedly he was a behavioral issue, but not sure if I read into that too much as they sat their best defender the previous week in Reid for the same thing. Kind of feels like an old school coach trying to flex his "culture" in a tough season and it not going over well with some.
Reply/Quote
This is why I wasn't crazy about our LB core entering the season, I know our base D plays just 2, but these positions get nicked up like RB's, and the back of the end LB's are really just special teamers anyway. I'd like to find a way to keep another solid LB on the 52 in the future.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 11:14 PM)Tony Wrote: I wonder if O'Dell Thurman has any eligibility left?

Well if Josh Gordon is still in the league, why not?

(12-08-2021, 05:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nothing wrong with signing a guy off the streets.  I just don't expect to sign a guy to step in and start and play at a high level.

We have gotten lucky in the past (Spain, Wallace Gilberry, Chris Crocker) but those are the exceptions to the general rule.  Usually you sign a guy off the street because he is better than the guys at the bottom of the roster, not the top.

High level? Probably not. Better than your typical young practice squad guy? Probably, depending on who you sign. Just being a veteran with starting experience gives you a leg up over the young practice squad guy, who really is the bottom of the roster type you're talking about anyway.

We've also gotten by with vets signed off the street. Jeff Faine. Ced Benson. Larry Johnson. Dhani Jones. I also remember signing a vet LB off the streets several years ago and he filled in decent enough. Can't remember his name though.

Edit: I believe the player I'm thinking of was Lemar Marshall in 2007. Started 3 games for us in a pinch and totaled 9 tackles and a sack.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 02:17 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 5' 9" 185lb safety. Let's play him at linebacker. 

Solid take, champ. 

I mean, why not? He has a solos resume and has experience in hybrid roles. If not him, the put on Bell and have Allen take the open FS spot.

Not a permanent fix, but a good salvage.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 04:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: I play him at LB for early downs then move to a sub package with an extra safety or CB for 3rd and medium+

Yeah I'd pick him up for week 17 against the Browns if nothing else.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 07:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well if Josh Gordon is still in the league, why not?

High level? Probably not. Better than your typical young practice squad guy? Probably, depending on who you sign. Just being a veteran with starting experience gives you a leg up over the young practice squad guy, who really is the bottom of the roster type you're talking about anyway.

We've also gotten by with vets signed off the street. Jeff Faine. Ced Benson. Larry Johnson. Dhani Jones. I also remember signing a vet LB off the streets several years ago and he filled in decent enough. Can't remember his name though.

Edit: I believe the player I'm thinking of was Lemar Marshall in 2007. Started 3 games for us in a pinch and totaled 9 tackles and a sack.

Jeez, I don't even remember that last guy....

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 07:37 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: I mean, why not? He has a solos resume and has experience in hybrid roles. If not him, the put on Bell and have Allen take the open FS spot.

Not a permanent fix, but a good salvage.

I'd like to see Bell as the moneybacker in some special packages but i just can't settle my mind on if it's doable. Bates would have to move to SS with Allen Free. Problem is, i don't see the Bengals being the type of team to start this in the back half of the schedule with how their D has played, for the most part, this year. 

They're more apt to pick up a LB, or just go with people that are already on the roster to fill the spot Wilson was in, until/if he comes back. 

I don't focus enough on the schemes they've played to even know if they're capable of something like that or not.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 09:13 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Jeez, I don't even remember that last guy....

Well seeing how it was 14 years ago, that's probably why I couldn't remember his name. That and we only used him for 4 games (3 starts). He started 45 games for the Redskins between 04-06 though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote