Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logan Woodside arrested for DUI
(06-13-2018, 04:46 PM)Sweetness Wrote: To start the field sobriety test was made up like 50 years ago. There's numerous research studies indicating the poor validity of the test themselves. This doesn't even count in the fact that it's all based off what the police officers says or observes which is completely subjective. Someone can pass the test but all the officer has to say is they miss said a word or their eyes are glassy and they automatically fail. 
Theres no typical human error accounted for and if an officer makes up his mind you're going to fail before the tests he can make you fail. 

The police officer miss spelled a word in his report, does that mean he was not in the right mind to be conducting the test and determine if someone should be driving? 

And you received your training in field testing where?
Reply/Quote
Hopefully he’ll look at this as a blessing that he didn’t hurt anyone and hopefully he learned a valuable life lesson.
Reply/Quote
God Damned your drunk tests are hard! 
He was on his way to a cemetery ..
https://youtu.be/XRbZtCTzMg8
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2018, 08:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And you received your training in field testing where?

Actually, he's kinda right. Many sober people can't pass a field sobriety test.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2018, 03:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Actually, he's kinda right. Many sober people can't pass a field sobriety test.

Which is why you do not give just one. The divided attention tests have between an 80 and 90% accuracy, when done with a Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test.... not to mention the roadside Preliminary Breath Test. I can tell you in 20 years, I never had someone fail the tests and then pass the breathalyzer at the jail. Sometimes their BAC was  higher than I thought it would be, but never lower.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2018, 05:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Which is why you do not give just one. The divided attention tests have between an 80 and 90% accuracy, when done with a Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test.... not to mention the roadside Preliminary Breath Test. I can tell you in 20 years, I never had someone fail the tests and then pass the breathalyzer at the jail. Sometimes their BAC was  higher than I thought it would be, but never lower.

HGN is not even admissible in court.

Road side preliminary breath tests are fairly accurate.  

Field sobriety tests are somewhat accurate.  It is not as simple as an officer just saying "he looked drunk".  They have to be properly explained and each specific failure has to be noted (it takes more than one to find intoxication).  But I have seen people fail field sobriety tests that were not under the influence.
Reply/Quote
All good reasons to stay sober and not tempt fate when driving not to mention that killing someone when drunk really isn't defensible nor should it be. I can't say I miss driving drunk.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2018, 11:23 PM)grampahol Wrote: All good reasons to stay sober and not tempt fate when driving not to mention that killing someone when drunk really isn't defensible nor should it be. I can't say I miss driving drunk.. 

Yeah, I agree.  I didn't mean to sound like I was bragging in my previous post about the cop following me home.  Just showing how much more serious they are then when I was younger.  I wouldn't get behind the wheel now if I even had a sip.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2018, 05:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: HGN is not even admissible in court.

Really? You should have told that to all the defense attorneys and Judges that let me testify to it in court over a 20 year span......
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2018, 05:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: HGN is not even admissible in court.

Road side preliminary breath tests are fairly accurate.  

Field sobriety tests are somewhat accurate.  It is not as simple as an officer just saying "he looked drunk".  They have to be properly explained and each specific failure has to be noted (it takes more than one to find intoxication).  But I have seen people fail field sobriety tests that were not under the influence.

What I love is that almost every DUI report I've seen included "glassy eyes, slurred speech and odor of alcohol".

It's almost as if police are trained to list those things if they suspect a DUI.  Hmm

I mean, not every drunk sounds like Otis from the Andy Griffith show. Not every drunk has glassy eyes and reeks of alcohol.

Sometimes they smell like White Castle and mints.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2018, 12:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: What I love is that almost every DUI report I've seen included "glassy eyes, slurred speech and odor of alcohol".

It's almost as if police are trained to list those things if they suspect a DUI.  Hmm

I mean, not every drunk sounds like Otis from the Andy Griffith show. Not every drunk has glassy eyes and reeks of alcohol.

Sometimes they smell like White Castle and mints.

Depending on the level of BAC, you'd be surprised, which is why HGN is the standard for detecting the .08-.11 guys. Only a roadside PBT is better...
They say those things because that's what they see with intoxicated drivers. And if they are eating White Castles and mints, they will smell like White Castles and mints and reek of alcohol.... all the "light a cigarette, pop a mint crap really doesn't work. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Big Grin 
(06-21-2018, 02:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote:

all the "light a cigarette, pop a mint crap really doesn't work.

What about the ability of some guys to let out a perfectly timed, attention grabbing, obnoxiously smelling Fart ?

I have unfortunately been around a few of those that may have overpowered any scents of Alcohol. 
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 05:37 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Yeah, I agree.  I didn't mean to sound like I was bragging in my previous post about the cop following me home.  Just showing how much more serious they are then when I was younger.  I wouldn't get behind the wheel now if I even had a sip.

No need to apologize . I could give some interesting stories about drunk driving that I won't. As a young man I tempted fate far too often and got away with it until I didn't and even that wasn't enough. Lost jobs, cars, fines, license and respect weren't enough. It wasn't until I just lost the taste for alcohol and sobered up enough to realize just how badly I'd mucked up my life. Absolutely nothing to be proud about.  The  only good thing I can say about my dui convictions is I never harmed another person.  If I had to find even the slightest justification it would probably be my mothers death and myself trying to drink it out of my memory, but it didn't work. She still died and I still have the ugly record that will haunt me the rest of my days.. 

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2018, 01:56 AM)grampahol Wrote: No need to apologize . I could give some interesting stories about drunk driving that I won't. As a young man I tempted fate far too often and got away with it until I didn't and even that wasn't enough. Lost jobs, cars, fines, license and respect weren't enough. It wasn't until I just lost the taste for alcohol and sobered up enough to realize just how badly I'd mucked up my life. Absolutely nothing to be proud about.  The  only good thing I can say about my dui convictions is I never harmed another person.  If I had to find even the slightest justification it would probably be my mothers death and myself trying to drink it out of my memory, but it didn't work. She still died and I still have the ugly record that will haunt me the rest of my days.. 

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Most everyone has shit their not proud of in their past. Everyone handles things differently. We are imperfect. I sometimes get a flashback of something stupid I did last week, or even 20 years ago that makes me cringe in a thought of “wtf were you thinking?” Accept the imperfection for what it is and live today for what it is.

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2018, 07:43 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Don’t be so hard on yourself. Most everyone has shit their not proud of in their past. Everyone handles things differently. We are imperfect. I sometimes get a flashback of something stupid I did last week, or even 20 years ago that makes me cringe in a thought of “wtf were you thinking?” Accept the imperfection for what it is and live today for what it is.

Good advice.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 01:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Really? You should have told that to all the defense attorneys and Judges that let me testify to it in court over a 20 year span......

Yep.  State case instead of federal.

It is not admissable in Tennessee.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2018, 10:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yep.  State case instead of federal.

It is not admissable in Tennessee.

Too bad for Woodside he was arrested in Kentucky.....lol.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2018, 10:32 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I got pulled over by a cop who was a friend of my dad's one time.  I was fairly buzzed, but he just followed me home.  No ticket or anything.  You're right gramp's, times have changed.

As for Woodside, probably not a smart move considering he obviously wasn't trashed at .11 especially with his size.  But still a dumb move!

I got REAL lucky once, when they had me dead to rights in my college days.  A friend and I had just left the bar and were on our way to a party across town.  I wasn't smashed, but I was clearly too buzzed to drive anywhere far....or really anywhere.  Anyway, as the officer is speaking to us while we're still in the car, someone comes through that IS smashed and sideswipes the cruiser.....no shit LMAO .  He had pulled us over about a block from the apartment we were headed to.  He had already asked us where we were headed, as he's running back to his car, he yells "you guys better get to that apartment and stay there!".  LMAO, thank you, whoever that other guy/gal was!

I was very fortunate that night, and a couple others.  I have counted my blessings and learned my lessons.  If I'm out and about drinking, it's Uber or a cab......or a sober driver.  No more putting others at risk.  I never drove when I was hammered nor went very far, but I did when I was on, or slightly over the borderline.  That's still not cool.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
It is easy for EVERYONE to agree not to drive drunk when they are sober, but when you are drunk your judgement is clouded. That is what I keep telling my daughters. Don't ever put yourself in a position where you may have to drive drunk, because even though you know it is stupid right now you might not when you are drunk.

I drove many times when I should not have. I was busted twice back when they had a lower level "Adult Driving While Impaired" for BAC between .008 and .010. I never had to go to jail, but had my license revoked.

I was pulled over one time when I was drunk as hell and the cop let me go. No idea what happened that night. I was so drunk I hit a curb and blew out a tire. When I tried to change the tire I did not put the jack under the frame and just crumpled my fender instead of jacking up the car. I then passed out on my car for a while woke up and changed the tire. As soon as I pulled out of the parking lot I was pulled over. I was ready to stick out my hands for the cuffs, but the cop just ask me a few questions and let me go. He must have gotten a more serious call or something. It was like 4 in the morning and I had to been reeking of whisky.
Reply/Quote
Have only received one DUI in my life and was not drinking at all and coming home from work.

But a roach in the ashtray was enough to send me to jail and get DUI conviction.

Moral of the story ? Throw your roaches out the window fools !

Or maybe just not driving impaired could be a better option.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote