Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Longmont valedictorian silenced over speech disclosing he was gay
(05-31-2015, 02:03 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Why are we even comparing homosexuality with incest?  It's a weak argument.  I can't think of a single group of people promoting incest.

Why do I always get asked questions, instead of receiving answers?

We are comparing the 2 to inquire is it OK for a speaker to expound on his or her sexual practices, beliefs, feelings, compulsions, (whatever term is OK that I use). 

I'm not sure the fact that there are no groups promoting incest is relevant. 

Let me try again: Would it be appropriate for him to expound on his sexual feelings toward classmates of the opposite gender in his farewell speech? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-31-2015, 02:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: "Answered" 1 question with 3 questions.

1. Depends on the state (but we are talking feeling here as opposed to actions)

2. Who knows and I'm not sure of the relevance of the question

3. No, because the speech should not be about the speaker.

I only wish more people had the internet forum etiquette book that you wrote.  Mellow

Should I have answered with an equal number of questions?
Or is it just wrong to want clarification of an obtuse question before answering it?

Please...enlighten us all.

Oh and #3 is your opinion...not a rule.  You can look up the definitions of both.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-31-2015, 02:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why do I always get asked questions, instead of receiving answers?

We are comparing the 2 to inquire is it OK for a speaker to expound on his or her sexual practices, beliefs, feelings, compulsions, (whatever term is OK that I use). 

I'm not sure the fact that there are no groups promoting incest is relevant. 

Let me try again: Would it be appropriate for him to expound on his sexual feelings toward classmates of the opposite gender in his farewell speech? 

Because that is one of your favorite tricks.

You are asking if its alright to speak on an illegal act vs a person's personal experiences.  Why? Because you don't like gay people.

I suppose if this young announced he was gay and in a relationship with a classmate it would be quite a shock.

I do wonder if you would have a problem with a straight graduate proposing to his gf from the stage.  

That's not a question.  ThumbsUp
(05-31-2015, 01:04 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So how is any valedoctorians sex life relevant to their graduation speech? 

Its not his "sex life" any more than if he mentioned he had a girlfriend that he loved and who had supported him.

Sexual preference =/= sex.
(05-31-2015, 02:03 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Why are we even comparing homosexuality with incest?  It's a weak argument.  I can't think of a single group of people promoting incest.

[Image: jessa-duggar.jpg?l=50&t=40]

Too soon?
Ninja
(05-31-2015, 01:14 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: In addressing the actual topic of the thread, I will say it probably wasn't the best place to "come out".  As others have stated it's not just about "you", the commencement speech is for everyone. However that being said it could've been handled better by the principle and staff.

In fact I think it would've been better if people already knew he was openly gay, and then proceeded to give a great speech as their valedictorian without any reference to his sexual orientation.  I think that would've been more powerful for him and his classmates.

Could've been handled better by staff though.
Answering your question in bold here /\/\/\
(05-31-2015, 02:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote:
Quote:Why do I always get asked questions, instead of receiving answers?
Alright then, no questions, comparing homosexuality with incest is ridiculous.

Quote:We are comparing the 2 to inquire is it OK for a speaker to expound on his or her sexual practices, beliefs, feelings, compulsions, (whatever term is OK that I use). 
My answer above would address this as well.

Quote:I'm not sure the fact that there are no groups promoting incest is relevant. 
Anything having to do with incest in this conversation irrelevant.

Quote:Let me try again: Would it be appropriate for him to expound on his sexual feelings toward classmates of the opposite gender in his farewell speech? 
Answered above.
(05-31-2015, 02:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: Because that is one of your favorite tricks.

You are asking if its alright to speak on an illegal act vs a person's personal experiences.  Why? Because you don't like gay people.

I suppose if this young announced he was gay and in a relationship with a classmate it would be quite a shock.

I do wonder if you would have a problem with a straight graduate proposing to his gf from the stage.  

That's not a question.  ThumbsUp

What is the illegal act? Because incest is not illegal in all states. There are age limits, but this holds true for all forms of sexual activity.

I would find it a poor farewell speech if the speaker focused on himself in any aspect to include a marriage proposal, religion, sexual activity.

But that's just me 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-31-2015, 02:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: jessa-duggar.jpg?l=50&t=40]

Too soon?
Ninja

Haahaha...
Right now one of the biggest issues in the national spotlight is equal rights for homosexuals. To act like this issue is not relevant is like sticking your head in the sand. If his issues with his own homosexuality have shaped his high school experience then he should be allowed to discuss it in his valedictorian speech. And I am not talking about sexual experiences or relationships. I mean his struggle with being in the closet and dealing with prejudices. That is what Valedictorians do in their speeches.

But if he was just wanting to use to occasion to "come out" it may not have been appropriate.
(05-31-2015, 12:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: How is you being gay relevant to the graduating class?   With a prayer or thanking God at least the significant majority of the class can relate.   Plus as a leader you taking the conversation off you and PF putting it back on the class.  

Side note:  I don't understand why "coming out" is a thing.   Your gay who cares.   I don't come out about liking women.   Everyone acts like we should throw them a parade for announcing they are part of a fringe group.   

I explained this whole post in the post that you quoted. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-31-2015, 01:00 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lol yeah cause that's what we need more high achievement people choosing a lifestyle where they cant have kids.   Let's just let the low achievement group populate ....  Idiocracy coming to life.  

Gay people have kids all the time. That's what surrogates are for. 

(05-31-2015, 01:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If the kid had thoughts of incest would it be appropriate in a Valedictorian (Farewell) speech?

I also feel it would have been inappropriate to expound on his religious beliefs in the speech.

No, that's illegal in almost all states. His drug use or any date rape he committed would also he inappropriate. 

If religion was part of his life journey and he wasn't calling for a prayer, it would be relevant. 

(05-31-2015, 12:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The people claiming that a valedictorian speech is never about the valedictorian's personal journey have obviously never attended a graduation ceremony.

Clearly a lot of GED guys here.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with speaking on the personal journey as well as the group. I've been going back and forth, not sure if it's necessary/right to come out in his speech. 

It's hard to deny the polarizing nature of a topic like that and doing it during a graduation speech probably isn't the best time to do it. More for how it would effect his family and the relationships than anything else. That is a very personal thing and he should probably come out to parents/family/friends in a more personal setting before announcing it in a public forum like that. Even if he did it a day or two ahead of the speech. 

As far as whether the school should have allowed him...they could have handled it better. At worst, they could have worked with him to present it in a way that was acceptable to both sides.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."