Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looking for a tackle after round 2
Passing on a tackle at #5 makes me uneasy. Theoretically let’s assume Sewell and Chase will both be good pros. I know it’s a deep tackle class but there’s a crazy run on tackles every year in round 1 and at the top of round 2. We’ve been victim to this run before. If you take a look at the tackle needy teams that pick after us in round 1 and before us in round 2 there’s a lot. There’s some team that have multiple picks before we pick again. I feel like it’s easier to find good wide receivers later than tackles.

Dolphins 3 picks
Jets 2 picks
Jags 2 picks
Chargers
Chiefs
Raiders
Vikings
Lions
Colts
Bears
Titans
Cardinals
Reply/Quote
If there is a run on tackles then we should get a good guard or edge rusher fall to us in rd 2. I would argue guard is a bigger need. If reiff performs well he can be resigned next year.

Or trade back in 2 and get another mix rounder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2021, 10:22 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: If there is a run on tackles then we should get a good guard or edge rusher fall to us in rd 2. I would argue guard is a bigger need. If reiff performs well he can be resigned next year.

Or trade back in 2 and get another mix rounder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True I’m not opposed to getting a good guard just feel like there easier to find in later rounds vs. tackles. We’ve been trying to fix the tackle spots for the last 6 years just figured we could do it now. If things go well hopefully we won’t pick in the top 5 again. Reiff is 33 I know Whit played till like 40 but the dudes a unicorn lol most tackles start declining mid to late 30’s.
Reply/Quote
We could always draft a guard or center in round 2 and 3 Davis from Ohio State good guard or Dickerson Center from bama.
Reply/Quote
I think there will still be intriguing tackle prospects after round 2. Walker Little and James Hudson are two names that come to mind.
Reply/Quote
I'm a big fan of D'Ante Smith out of ECU size length athletic wrestling background. Josh Ball out of Marshall will probably go day 3 hes talented but had off field issues Florida State. Stanford's Walker Little is a forgotten man I'm not his biggest fan but he is talented enough to go early but hasn't played football in like 2 years. Little will probably go 3rd round ish.

2022 Free Agent RT looks like a better group too though I'm sure some will be resigned. Taylor Moton, Ryan Ramczyk, Brian O'Neil, Mike McGlinchy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
After Sewell, I don't particularly care about T, it's all about G/C in both rd2 & rd3.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2021, 10:55 PM)Mark123 Wrote: We could always draft a guard or center in round 2 and 3 Davis from Ohio State good guard or Dickerson Center from bama.

Wyatt Davis is a very poor fit for a wide zone scheme that Pollack runs. Then again, ZT could be sent packing after the year and the Bengals would be back at square one maybe with a new line coach yet again.

Landon Dickerson is probably my favorite prospect in the draft. He would probably be getting Top 20 consideration if he didn’t have 4 season ending injuries in 4 years. Two of them ACL’s.
Reply/Quote
If we don't go OT in Rd1 (Sewell/Slater), then I do not see much point in going OT later.

We need help at guard. And WR. And LB. And DE. And DT.

An OT pick has to either be good enough to bump Reiff or Williams inside (Rd 3 OT won't be), or be able to play guard AND be a clear upgrade on Spain/XSF (possible but doubtful for a Rd3 tackle, but not impossible). If he isn't, then he can't help protect Burrow this year.

I just think things are pretty clear.

Rd 1: OT good enough to immediately start at OT or OG (Sewell or Slater in trade down) or receiver (Chase, Pitts, or Smith/Waddle in trade down).

Rd2: WR if we go OT in Rd1, IOL is we go receiver in Rd 1, though I suppose an OT might be an option here (Leatherwood?) if they can play inside too.

If we trade down & get an extra pick, then we can deviate with one of the seconds (LB, DE, DT).
Reply/Quote
If we take Sewell, Jonah should be moved to guard. That would help some.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I like Spencer Brown as a developmental player. He probably isn't a day 1 NFL starter, but with Reiff on board you could give him a redshirt year. You could probably even wait til the 3rd to get him. He's a nasty player with great length.
Reply/Quote
The guard I am very high on is Aaron Banks from ND. The kid is thick and light on his feet. He always seemed to be at the 2nd and 3rd level when watching him. He is just nasty as a run blocker and great at picking up stunts and blitzes in pass pro.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 09:32 AM)WhodeyRay Wrote: The guard I am very high on is Aaron Banks from ND. The kid is thick and light on his feet. He always seemed to be at the 2nd and 3rd level when watching him. He is just nasty as a run blocker and great at picking up stunts and blitzes in pass pro.

I feel Notre Dame produces some pretty tough kids and great linemen I.E. Quentin Nelson and Zach Martin.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2021, 10:14 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Passing on a tackle at #5 makes me uneasy. Theoretically let’s assume Sewell and Chase will both be good pros.  I know it’s a deep tackle class but there’s a crazy run on tackles every year in round 1 and at the top of round 2.  We’ve been victim to this run before. If you take a look at the tackle needy teams that pick after us in round 1 and before us in round 2 there’s a lot. There’s some team that have multiple picks before we pick again. I feel like it’s easier to find good wide receivers later than tackles.

Dolphins 3 picks
Jets  2 picks
Jags 2 picks
Chargers
Chiefs
Raiders
Vikings
Lions
Colts
Bears
Titans
Cardinals

Thank you for posting this.

The Bengals have had a lot of success drafting WRs in the second round- Collinsworth, Johnson, Pickens, Scott, Boyd , and Higgins come to mind. I think that is another reason that I think they should draft Sewell at # 5 if he is available.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 10:11 AM)bwh Wrote: Thank you for posting this.

The Bengals have had a lot of success drafting WRs in the second round- Collinsworth, Johnson, Pickens, Scott, Boyd , and Higgins come to mind. I think that is another reason that I think they should draft Sewell at # 5 if he is available.

Agree , there’s a ton of good wide receivers that have been drafted after round one recently. I feel like it’s easier to find a good WR later than a good quality tackle. And we’ve had more success lately drafting WR than tackles. Wide receivers drafted after round 1. DK Metcalf, Micheal Thomas, Tyree Hill , Tyler Body, Tee Higgins, Chris Goodwin, Allen Robinson , Kenny Golloday, Chase Claypool , Ju Ju Smith, Terry Mclaurin, Stephon Diggs , Keenan Allen, AJ Brown, Kooper Kupp, Robert Woods, Debbo Samuel, Tyler Lockett, Curtland Sutton, Curtis Samuel, D.J. Chark.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2021, 10:14 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Passing on a tackle at #5 makes me uneasy. Theoretically let’s assume Sewell and Chase will both be good pros.  I know it’s a deep tackle class but there’s a crazy run on tackles every year in round 1 and at the top of round 2.  We’ve been victim to this run before. If you take a look at the tackle needy teams that pick after us in round 1 and before us in round 2 there’s a lot. There’s some team that have multiple picks before we pick again. I feel like it’s easier to find good wide receivers later than tackles.

Dolphins 3 picks
Jets  2 picks
Jags 2 picks
Chargers
Chiefs
Raiders
Vikings
Lions
Colts
Bears
Titans
Cardinals

I have been thinking a lot about a guy like Jackson Carmen from Clemson.  He might struggle early on if asked to play OT, but I think he could be a great option at RG.  If he develops well and shows that he might be able to move to RT in a year, great.  But he is a massive mauler that we haven't had at RG since Bobbie Williams.  

I think there will be another developmental OT, Spencer Brown, that could be available in the top of Rd 3 as a projected OT that might need a "redshirt season". 

As much emphasis has been on the defensive side of the ball in Free Agency, should the Bengals pull off signing Kerrigan, I have no problem with the Bengals going WR, OT(but start at G), and OT in the first three picks.  
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 09:47 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I feel Notre Dame produces some pretty tough kids and great linemen I.E. Quentin Nelson and Zach Martin.

Ronnie Stanley is a stud as well and Mike Mcglinchey is good. Liam Eichenberg is coming out this year from Notre Dame he could be a target for us after round 1.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 01:55 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: If we don't go OT in Rd1 (Sewell/Slater), then I do not see much point in going OT later.

We need help at guard. And WR. And LB. And DE. And DT.

An OT pick has to either be good enough to bump Reiff or Williams inside (Rd 3 OT won't be), or be able to play guard AND be a clear upgrade on Spain/XSF (possible but doubtful for a Rd3 tackle, but not impossible). If he isn't, then he can't help protect Burrow this year.

I just think things are pretty clear.

Rd 1: OT good enough to immediately start at OT or OG (Sewell or Slater in trade down) or receiver (Chase, Pitts, or Smith/Waddle in trade down).

Rd2: WR if we go OT in Rd1, IOL is we go receiver in Rd 1, though I suppose an OT might be an option here (Leatherwood?) if they can play inside too.

If we trade down & get an extra pick, then we can deviate with one of the seconds (LB, DE, DT).

Leatherwood didn't do agility (probably because he is coming off injury) but his other testing at his pro day was amazing.  He is a guy that could start his career at G and be developed to move outside.  I view Jackson Carman as the same way, with less outside potential.  

You pretty much summed up the draft for me now.  Those are the two scenarios given how they have addressed CB in FA and especially if they get Kerrigan.  And I am leaning toward the WR in the first (Chase) because I feel the drop off from him to the next tier of WRs is greater than what we lose getting a guy like Slater compared to Sewell.

There is a very good chance the first three picks could be on offense.  
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 02:51 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If we take Sewell, Jonah should be moved to guard. That would help some.

Reiff already said he would play anywhere.  I actually like the idea of leaving Jonah at LT and starting Sewell at RT.  Remember the breakdown of the pass rushers in our division?  And a guy like Watt might struggle against a beast like Sewell....which would be just fine with me. 

Either way, an offensive line that has Sewell, Jonah, and Reiff is a nice start.  

I am still leaning toward taking Chase, and drafting the OT in Rd 2 and having him start at RG.  Guys like Carman and Leatherwood would be nice candidates.  
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 09:32 AM)WhodeyRay Wrote: The guard I am very high on is Aaron Banks from ND. The kid is thick and light on his feet. He always seemed to be at the 2nd and 3rd level when watching him. He is just nasty as a run blocker and great at picking up stunts and blitzes in pass pro.

ND has quietly became a new Wisconsin...churning out offensive linemen.

I would love him in the third round.  If the Bengals were able to walk away from the first three rounds with Chase, Leatherwood, and Banks, I would be on cloud 9....especially if they sign Kerrigan soon.
Reply/Quote