Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like Vigil, Gilberry and Dennard will get more playing time
(11-10-2016, 10:43 AM)samhain Wrote: "Our good players are expected to play good, but if they don't, screw it.  We'll keep playin' em' anyway until our season is completely buried."

Counter that by saying    Putting in these young guys just to get them reps is something you do when your season is basically over. not when your 1/2 game out of first in the division.  Now if they are out preforming the starters in practice then they should have already been starting.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2016, 10:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What have you seen that makes you think the guys on the bench are better?

If you give players reps without earning them then they have no reason to work hard in practice.

He undermined a lieutenant's authority in public.  That's leadership 101 to not do that.  

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2016, 09:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He obviously sees younger players who are not yet as good as the struggling vets.....at any rate, hopefully Guenther's statement was enough to wake them up....

Yep, like Geathers starting over Dunlap for so long...Geno not playing.  Houshmanzadeh not playing.  Rudi Johnson not playing.  Some of the best players in recent history under Marvin didn't get a chance for some time and some only got a chance because of injury.  

It just mirrors conservative Marv in the way he strategizes.  Don't throw punches...just duck and cover.  

I love the man for turning this team around and helping to build a talented roster, but the way he manages a game drives me crazy. 
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2016, 10:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What have you seen that makes you think the guys on the bench are better?

If you give players reps without earning them then they have no reason to work hard in practice.

See my response to Sled (#63).  And I further disagree with your assesment.  You ride them in practice and you squeeze the best talent out of your roster.  And how do you know that getting an opportunity might bring out MORE of the player, instead of assuming he has nothing more.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 09:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yep, like Geathers starting over Dunlap for so long...Geno not playing.  Houshmanzadeh not playing.  Rudi Johnson not playing.  Some of the best players in recent history under Marvin didn't get a chance for some time and some only got a chance because of injury.  

It just mirrors conservative Marv in the way he strategizes.  Don't throw punches...just duck and cover.  

I love the man for turning this team around and helping to build a talented roster, but the way he manages a game drives me crazy. 

Or maybe those players were as good as they were because Marvin kept them on the bench until they were ready instead of just throwing them out there to be run over as rookies....
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 09:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yep, like Geathers starting over Dunlap for so long...Geno not playing.  Houshmanzadeh not playing.  Rudi Johnson not playing.  Some of the best players in recent history under Marvin didn't get a chance for some time and some only got a chance because of injury.  

Rudi didn 't play because he was behind a Hall of Fame RB in Dillon.

Housh did not play early because he was always injured.

Geathers started over Dunlap because he was better against the run, but Dunlaps always played plenty of snaps.  That is why he was able to get 10 sacks his rookie season.

And Geno atkins did not arrive with the bengals as the most dominate DTR in the league.  He was a 4th round pick that did not even dominate in college.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2016, 04:46 PM)BengalChris Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Defensive-changes-stir/ffe8256a-25f5-47a3-bd48-8b4ddfd95254

Dennard over Shaw surprises me most.

Vigil seems to have skills Ray M lacks.

Gilberry mixed in with Michael Johnson and Clarke.

Thoughts?
I'm sure over the 2 weeks they have looked at a lot of things.....What was one of the best defenses in the NFL is now one of the worst. ....That has to change back if there are any hopes of having a good second half.....Not that far behind, but defense MUST improve. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 12:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rudi didn 't play because he was behind a Hall of Fame RB in Dillon.

Housh did not play early because he was always injured.

Geathers started over Dunlap because he was better against the run, but Dunlaps always played plenty of snaps.  That is why he was able to get 10 sacks his rookie season.

And Geno atkins did not arrive with the bengals as the most dominate DTR in the league.  He was a 4th round pick that did not even dominate in college.

Not to mention Dunlap came in with a bad habit of taking plays off and not giving 100%. It took him awhile to mature, and be coached out of that.....
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 08:18 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So Lewis stated that Guenther should not have made that statement, and the young guys still need to earn the snaps...

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-Says-Not-So-Fast-To-Defensive-Changes/0bd02342-ee05-4186-b20f-3177142b2f64

Last week, defensive coordinator Paul Guenther told reporters that some changes could be coming after the bye.

“We have a lot of guys here who have been fixtures in our system for a long time,” said Guenther. “But it’s like I told them, it’s a production business. Even though you’ve been that kind of guy that’s been around here, if I think there is a younger player or somebody else that can do it better at this point, whether it be for 15 snaps, I have to look at that.”

Well, in the immortal words of ESPN’s Lee Corso, “Not so fast my friend.”

Here’s how Marvin Lewis responded on his weekly TV show when I asked him if he anticipated some of the younger players getting more snaps on defense.

“I don’t,” Marvin told me. “Paul shouldn’t have…you have to be careful doing that. We’re going to keep working and guys will earn opportunities as we go. But you’ve got to earn opportunities. We’re not going to just make a wholesale change and so forth. Our good players are expected to play good and I think that’s part of it. They have to play up to a certain level all the time. We have guys doing that on offense but we have to get the same throughout the football team in every area. And we have to continue to coach better – that’s part of the responsibility as well.”

In other words, some of the younger players might earn more snaps in the second half of the season. But the key to significant improvement on defense is for the core players to perform up to their capabilities.

This is the problem with this team right here, the Head Coach.

Fire the SOB. I am sick of this thought process. Geunther was right and i honestly would rather have him as the HC right now.

Atleast he is owning up to the poor play of the Defense and trying to adjust. That is what good coaches do, adjust.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2016, 08:18 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So Lewis stated that Guenther should not have made that statement, and the young guys still need to earn the snaps...

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-Says-Not-So-Fast-To-Defensive-Changes/0bd02342-ee05-4186-b20f-3177142b2f64

Last week, defensive coordinator Paul Guenther told reporters that some changes could be coming after the bye.

“We have a lot of guys here who have been fixtures in our system for a long time,” said Guenther. “But it’s like I told them, it’s a production business. Even though you’ve been that kind of guy that’s been around here, if I think there is a younger player or somebody else that can do it better at this point, whether it be for 15 snaps, I have to look at that.”

Well, in the immortal words of ESPN’s Lee Corso, “Not so fast my friend.”

Here’s how Marvin Lewis responded on his weekly TV show when I asked him if he anticipated some of the younger players getting more snaps on defense.

“I don’t,” Marvin told me. “Paul shouldn’t have…you have to be careful doing that. We’re going to keep working and guys will earn opportunities as we go. But you’ve got to earn opportunities. We’re not going to just make a wholesale change and so forth. Our good players are expected to play good and I think that’s part of it. They have to play up to a certain level all the time. We have guys doing that on offense but we have to get the same throughout the football team in every area. And we have to continue to coach better – that’s part of the responsibility as well.”

In other words, some of the younger players might earn more snaps in the second half of the season. But the key to significant improvement on defense is for the core players to perform up to their capabilities.

Paul Gunther getting in there upsetting Marvin's "seniority rules the starting line up" policy. Can't have that. Actual production be damned.

I wonder if anyone ever unearns an opportunity with Marvin. I'm pretty sure it's possible to unearn an opportunity out in the real world.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2016, 04:46 PM)BengalChris Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Defensive-changes-stir/ffe8256a-25f5-47a3-bd48-8b4ddfd95254

Dennard over Shaw surprises me most.

Vigil seems to have skills Ray M lacks.

Gilberry mixed in with Michael Johnson and Clarke.

Thoughts?

I am all for mixing things up to try and get different results. 
Reply/Quote