Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like they young Wideouts will have to wait.
(03-28-2018, 04:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Seriously?

On Dec 6 Ross admitted to Lewis that he had been suffering from a shoulder injury for a few weeks that he was trying to hide.  He told Lewis it was getting worse instead of better and it was hampering his ability to reach and make catches.  He was then placed IR.

Ten days AFTER he was placed on IR he posted the practice video that came from an unknown date.

You can't blame Marvin for not playing Ross when he was healthy because Ross admits that he was not healthy.  How is he going to block or fight off press coverage with a shoulder so sore he can not even extend to make catches?

I recall reading this as well that Ross tried to keep his injuries hidden which I can't really blame him. He's a young man who wants to be a big star. Players don't become big stars sitting on the bench. 
That kind of left them holding the bag and Marvin getting accused of trying to sabotage the team which makes zero sense. What could he possibly stand to gain by sabotaging the offense? 
Some of our board members seem to think they can read minds by watching a game on TV. I wish I had a dime every time someone has commented on what is going through players minds when watching a tiny image of players on TV. In my 58 years plenty of people have tried to tell me what's going on in my mind . My wife does it all the time.  "I know what you're thinking  ...." and I have to tell her she's 100% wrong.  No, I wasn't thinking about banging the girl on TV.. I was thinking about getting another cup of coffee if you must know . lol  She never believes it.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 02:59 AM)grampahol Wrote: I recall reading this as well that Ross tried to keep his injuries hidden which I can't really blame him. He's a young man who wants to be a big star. Players don't become big stars sitting on the bench. 
That kind of left them holding the bag and Marvin getting accused of trying to sabotage the team which makes zero sense. What could he possibly stand to gain by sabotaging the offense? 
Some of our board members seem to think they can read minds by watching a game on TV. I wish I had a dime every time someone has commented on what is going through players minds when watching a tiny image of players on TV. In my 58 years plenty of people have tried to tell me what's going on in my mind . My wife does it all the time.  "I know what you're thinking  ...." and I have to tell her she's 100% wrong.  No, I wasn't thinking about banging the girl on TV.. I was thinking about getting another cup of coffee if you must know . lol  She never believes it.. 

I know what you were thinking..... you were thinking about banging the girl on TV in the kitchen, with a little cream and sugar, while you were getting another cup of coffee....
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 07:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ok then. I have you down as Ross will suddenly "get it" if he goes from so hopeless he can't buy a snap to successful in one year.

If you mean "get healthy" instead of "get it" then yes.

And I guess I can put you down as one who reads minds and knows that Ross was not slowed by injury this year and instead a victim of Marvin intentionally making the team worse for petty eprsonal reasons.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 04:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Seriously?

On Dec 6 Ross admitted to Lewis that he had been suffering from a shoulder injury for a few weeks that he was trying to hide.  He told Lewis it was getting worse instead of better and it was hampering his ability to reach and make catches.  He was then placed IR.

Ten days AFTER he was placed on IR he posted the practice video that came from an unknown date.

You can't blame Marvin for not playing Ross when he was healthy because Ross admits that he was not healthy.  How is he going to block or fight off press coverage with a shoulder so sore he can not even extend to make catches?

Key word: unknown date. Again, while completely opposed to the manner in which he handled it, Ross went public with that because he was doing that in practice and was still not getting a shot in games.

Right after his fumble, he really never got another shot. Good thing the Chiefs didn’t give up on Kareem Hunt after his fumble.

And way to dodge the Dalton information that related to WR separation....(red hands)
Reply/Quote
Makes no sense to bring Lafell back. And I dont mean to belittle Lafell, because he did a solid job imo under the circumstances. But when you have a top 10 draft pick at the position from just a year ago and AJ Green with needs elsewhere, it really wouldnt make sense to bring him back.

Basically if he does come back, that is just screaming to me they just dont have full confidence in Ross being as good as a first round receiver should be, let alone a top 10 pick.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I side with Shake. Hard for anyone to argue Ross wasn't in Marvin's dog house. Have we ever heard him slam a rookie so coldly to the media for a fumble/wrong route? I mean really?

He blamed the loss of a game on him. A GAME! Something he's never done with Burfict/Jones/Dalton/Green or his Oline.

Hell Mixon fumbled and never missed a snap.

Something was up, and there's no denying that.

I believe Marvin didn't want the pick. Rightfully thought Ross would never be able to hold up health wise (as he was off many boards), and wasn't the pick needed to "save" his job and help the Bengals get to the playoffs.

The pick was forced on him, and he "tried" to make it work, but as soon as it didn't, he was quick to throw him under the bus in unprecedented fashion (public), and treated him like a red headed stepchild not letting him get away with not nearly he let his other players and rookies get away with any given Sunday.

All that may change this season, but as for now, as it relates to last season and the enigma that was the Ross situation. Shakes points are legit.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 11:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Right after his fumble, he really never got another shot.  Good thing the Chiefs didn’t give up on Kareem Hunt after his fumble.

He did not get another shot because he was injured.

Why do you keep bringing up Hunt when he was not injured?  There is no comparison between the two

(03-29-2018, 11:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And way to dodge the Dalton information that related to WR separation....(red hands)

Don't know what this even means.  What did Dalton say about WRs getting separation?  What is "red hands"?
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 12:14 PM)jj22 Wrote: I side with Shake. Hard for anyone to argue Ross wasn't in Marvin's dog house. Have we ever heard him slam a rookie so coldly to the media for a fumble/wrong route? I mean really?

He blamed the loss of a game on him. A GAME!  Something he's never done with Burfict/Jones/Dalton/Green or his Oline.

Hell Mixon fumbled and never missed a snap.

Something was up, and there's no denying that.

I believe Marvin didn't want the pick. Rightfully thought Ross would never be able to hold up health wise (as he was off many boards), and wasn't the pick needed to "save" his job and help the Bengals get to the playoffs.

The pick was forced on him, and he "tried" to make it work, but as soon as it didn't, he was quick to throw him under the bus in unprecedented fashion (public), and treated him like a red headed stepchild not letting him get away with not nearly he let his other players and rookies get away with any given Sunday.

All that may change this season, but as for now, as it relates to last season and the enigma that was the Ross situation. Shakes points are legit.

Marvins actions with Ross may very well have been justified because Ross was the biggest babay he evr coached.

How many players have tried to post film from practice to make a coach look bad?

If we are going to play "make believe" and claim we know what was going on I have just as much proof that ross was the biggest babay Marvin ever coached as you do that Marvin hated Ross more than any other rookie.

Here is what it comes down to for me.  I have watched Marvin coach for 15 years.  He has had lots of rookies who did not see much playing time.  Not a single on of them ever acted like as big of a baby as Ross did.  I think it is highly unlikely that a guy who9 has been coaching for 15 years would just suddenly change and become a petty a-hole who would rather hurt the team than play some guy he does not like.  People don't just change that dramatically overnight.  Ross, on the other hand, is a guy with no track record and he has already done the most childish thing I have ever seen a rookie do.  I guarantee that Carson Palmer was making some incredible passes on the practice field in '03 but he didn't go all crybaby and post video.

The people taking Marvins side on this are ignoring 15 years of history just because they hate Marvin and want to blame him for everything.  They just can not understand any reason Marvin might treat a guy who acted like a bigger baby than any rookie ever differently from all the rookies he has coached before.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 11:42 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Basically if he does come back, that is just screaming to me they just dont have full confidence in Ross being as good as a first round receiver should be, let alone a top 10 pick.

Why would they have full confidence in a guy who's screwed up every time he saw the field? It's not just the fumble, it's stopping in the middle of routes on critical plays, etc. I hope by the end of preseason we have all the confidence in the world in him and he shines, but he hasn't shown that yet.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 12:14 PM)jj22 Wrote: Something was up, and there's no denying that.

Yeah, it's called a rookie lying to his coach and team about injuries.....
Reply/Quote
Marvin attacked him in the media well before that tho. So no that wasn't it. As far as Marvin knew, he was attacking a healthy rookie.

Blaming a loss on him.

And Fred, I'm not really sold he was hurt (or any more hurt) after the fumble. So his benching wasn't because of that, and the practice footage came weeks after that. So he was already in the doghouse. I believe. I could be wrong. Can't say what really went down tho. You are right about that.

I'm not taking sides against or for Marvin. Heck I didn't like the Ross pick and doubt he ever lives up to the hype. But Marvin's actions were a little odd to me. Especially the extent he went to slam Ross publicly, while ignoring other rookie mistakes (Mixon fumbles). It was just a new Marvin. Maybe he was emboldened by thinking it was his last season.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 03:36 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Why would they have full confidence in a guy who's screwed up every time he saw the field? It's not just the fumble, it's stopping in the middle of routes on critical plays, etc. I hope by the end of preseason we have all the confidence in the world in him and he shines, but he hasn't shown that yet.

Then why not bench other rookies for making a mistake. And we've seen plenty of wrong/lazy/poor routes over the years (some by our Hall of Fame players, I won't mention any names), but Marvin has never blamed them on losing a game.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 04:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: Then why not bench other rookies for making a mistake. And we've seen plenty of wrong/lazy/poor routes over the years (some by our Hall of Fame players, I won't mention any names), but Marvin has never blamed them on losing a game.

He does. Will Jackson sat and watched Pacman every time he made a mistake in zone coverage. The results were Willow learned to be better in zone coverage, which is where he struggled. (he has always been a beast in man)
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 11:46 AM)jj22 Wrote: For MB who gets paid the most starts and gets the most snaps. Thought we knew this? Ask aging players like Peko, MJ, Jones, Bodine etc. They aren't paying him to be inactive on Sundays. Which means he will be active while one of the young wideouts aren't, and taking snaps away from the other young wr who are active.

Veteran minimum is nearly a million. I agree with you for the most part, but I hardly think Mike would let 1 million keep lafell on the field. As of right now, Lafell is still effective, so I have no problem keeping him here for insurance.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 08:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He does. Will Jackson sat and watched Pacman every time he made a mistake in zone coverage. The results were Willow learned to be better in zone coverage, which is where he struggled. (he has always been a beast in man)

Sure took a long damn time to bench Og when he pretty much single handedly lost us a season.

Bodine was never benched even though he played terrible lots of games.

Ross wasn't even given a chance, nearly any player would of fumbled on that play. Gotta give the guy more chances.

I understand if the guy is not healthy, don't play him but he was listed as a healthy scratch multiple games where we
could of used his speed and quicks. Cannot wait to see this guy have a full Offseason to get his shoulder ready and get
in game shape. He will open a lot of eyes around here.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 04:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: Then why not bench other rookies for making a mistake. And we've seen plenty of wrong/lazy/poor routes over the years (some by our Hall of Fame players, I won't mention any names), but Marvin has never blamed them on losing a game.

Probably because of Ross's attitude at practice.

Again, I have seen Marvin coach hundreds of rookies.  If he suddenly treats one different from all of the others I am generally going to believe it is because of the actions of the player and not Marvin.  Especially when that player ends up pulling the most childish stunt I have ever seen form a rookie.

If Marvin was that petty we would have seen it before, and Ross's actions show how immature he is.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2018, 04:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure took a long damn time to bench Og when he pretty much single handedly lost us a season.

Bodine was never benched even though he played terrible lots of games.

Ross wasn't even given a chance, nearly any player would of fumbled on that play. Gotta give the guy more chances.

I understand if the guy is not healthy, don't play him but he was listed as a healthy scratch multiple games where we
could of used his speed and quicks. Cannot wait to see this guy have a full Offseason to get his shoulder ready and get
in game shape. He will open a lot of eyes around here.

Well, to play Devil's Advocate, I'm not sure we had anyone better than CO or Bodine to promote in front of them. And again, I don't think it was the fumble that sealed Ross as much as it was running the wrong routes and stopping in the middle of a route at a critical point in a game. And, if I remember right, Core got benched for awhile after running the wrong route and blowing up the play in our own backfield....
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 08:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I know what you were thinking..... you were thinking about banging the girl on TV in the kitchen, with a little cream and sugar, while you were getting another cup of coffee....

Well that's all true ,but don't tell that to the old woman. She still believes that I have a shred of decency left in me . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 10:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, to play Devil's Advocate, I'm not sure we had anyone better than CO or Bodine to promote in front of them. And again, I don't think it was the fumble that sealed Ross as much as it was running the wrong routes and stopping in the middle of a route at a critical point in a game. And, if I remember right, Core got benched for awhile after running the wrong route and blowing up the play in our own backfield....

Winston came in at the end of the 2016 season and played RT much better than Og.

TJ Johnson came in on one series against the Ravens and we went right down the field and scored a TD.

Then right after they put Bodine back in and the Offense stalled.

Also, i believe that when Ross stopped on that route it was the beginning of the game. Wasn't a critical point.

The coaches have screwed up a lot around here and i believe the Ross situation was another.

Just happy we got some new coaches that have been successful in the NFL.

PA, Zampese, Paulie G, Urban just were not getting the job done.

Merv wasn't either but cannot get everything we want i guess. Still it is a start. Have high hopes for these new coaches.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 03:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Also, i believe that when Ross stopped on that route it was the beginning of the game. Wasn't a critical point.

It was 3rd down. All 3rd down conversions are critical to a team struggling to win....
Reply/Quote