Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like they young Wideouts will have to wait.
(03-20-2018, 08:06 AM)fredtoast Wrote: All you saw was Ross running a basic route that LaFell could have repeated at any time.

And since Ross was the film editor he removed all of his mistakes.

And since you are the film critic, you cherry picked the negatives and ignored what he was doing in those clips...and there were a lot of them for one practice.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 08:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And since you are the film critic, you cherry picked the negatives and ignored what he was doing in those clips...and there were a lot of them for one practice.  

I did not ignore anything.

EVERY WR in the league could put together a practice tape where he looks great.   No reading defenses, no adjusting routes, and just edit out any drops or mistakes.

Its not like he made any amazing leaping diving one handed catches or anything.  He just ran some basic routes and managed to catch the ball.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 04:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: Not sure why there's more faith in Malone then Core based off of what we've saw. Both late round picks.

Rookie years.

Core - 17 receptions 200 yards, on 261 snaps.
Malone - 6 receptions for 63 yards 1TD on 247 snaps.

I think if you add Core to the overhyped list. Malone should be on there as well.

But I'm sure we all want them to succeed, I'm just arguing they need more snaps so we know for sure what we have in them.

Because Core was supposed to PROgress, not REgress, which he seemed to do.
Going from 261 snaps to 65 snaps is not cause for optimism.

We can (and should) add Malone to the overhyped list too if he follows the same path.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 07:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Cutting Lafell would help with finances and it would give Core, Malone, and Ross the opportunity to show they are better.  You can't show it when you aren't given the chances.  

Why even keep Core and Malone?  If we want to make sure Ross gets the opportunity to shine we need to make sure there are as few warm bodies between him and the field as possible.  Core, Malone, and Lafell all got more snaps than Ross last year so as far as I see it they're all in the way of our top 10 pick shining his arse off.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 11:25 AM)jj22 Wrote: Bad news for Boyd, Erickson, Malone, Core etc.

Reports (Katherine ESPN), Bengals paid Lafell 1m roster bonus due today. Nearly guaranteeing he's on the team in 2018.

Katherine Terrell
‏Verified account @Kat_Terrell 1h1 hour ago

Brandon LaFell has a $1 million roster bonus due today (5th day of the league year)

Worst case hes a veteran backup..  If no one else can push him for snaps. its better to have him than not.

Ross probly makes more them him if that's your worry
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 09:25 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Because Core was supposed to PROgress, not REgress, which he seemed to do.
Going from 261 snaps to 65 snaps is not cause for optimism.

We can (and should) add Malone to the overhyped list too if he follows the same path.

Do you say the same about Boyd who produced more than LaFell did this year as a rookie but it got him nowhere.

Fewer snaps his sophomore year. You guys can keep saying the young wideouts have to prove they can produce like Lafell. Boyd did and it got him nowhere. So you have to come better than that line keep being repeated in this thread to sell me. Facts matter.

Fact is Boyd showed he could produce on LaFell's level and he got rewarded by sitting the bench most of his sophomore year.

Core showed in his limited time his rookie year he could get close to Lafell's 548 yards (200).

Lafell got 548 yards in 860 snaps. Only 348 more yards then Core. And it only took Core only 1/6th of the snaps.

I'm just not in the camp LaFell's 548 yards can't be matched by any other wideout on our roster not named AJ.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:01 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Why even keep Core and Malone?  If we want to make sure Ross gets the opportunity to shine we need to make sure there are as few warm bodies between him and the field as possible.  Core, Malone, and Lafell all got more snaps than Ross last year so as far as I see it they're all in the way of our top 10 pick shining his arse off.

Or we can cut the 31 year old needing 860 snaps to get an otherwise (outside of the jungle I guess) measly 548 yards.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:23 AM)jj22 Wrote: Do you say the same about Boyd who produced more than LaFell did this year as a rookie but it got him nowhere.

Fewer snaps his sophomore year. You guys can keep saying the young wideouts have to prove they can produce like Lafell. Boyd did and it got him nowhere. So you have to come better than that line keep being repeated in this thread to sell me. Facts matter.

Fact is Boyd showed he could produce on LaFell's level and he got rewarded by sitting the bench most of his sophomore year.

Core showed in his limited time his rookie year he could get close to Lafell's 548 yards (200).

Lafell got 548 yards in 860 snaps. Only 348 more yards then Core. And it only took Core only 1/6th of the snaps.

I'm just not in the camp LaFell's 548 yards can't be matched by any other wideout on our roster not named AJ.

Point-blank, I think Malone out-performed Core to take his snaps. They are similar players. Core's rookie year didn't have a deep threat on the roster, so he was slotted right into that role.
Boyd is not the same style player as either of them, and Boyd has not outproduced LaFell either year.
So it makes sense (to me anyway) that Boyd is LaFell's backup and Core is Malone's backup as a deep threat.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:34 AM)jj22 Wrote: Or we can cut the 31 year old needing 860 snaps to get an otherwise (outside of the jungle I guess) measly 548 yards.

Or we could replace Marvin with one of those little league coaches who gives every little tyke a chance to play.

Let me say that I fully believe one fine day that Ross will be higher up on the depth chart than Lafell...I just don't think he should be higher on the depth chart because we want him to be. He has to earn it. My god, what blasphemy!
Reply/Quote
So is this your rule for every position group or just wide receivers? Legit question. Because we've all seen rookies start before. Without producing more than a vet in front of them. Hopefully you don't say that about our new Center if we draft him. What would he have proved over TJ Johnson who has taken reps and game snaps.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:23 AM)jj22 Wrote: Do you say the same about Boyd who produced more than LaFell did this year as a rookie but it got him nowhere.

Without looking at numbers and going on what I witnessed. 

Boyd seemed to have regressed at beginning of the year and was actually about to right him off as well. 

Yet he seemed to come on in second half of season. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

boyd missed time due to legal issues this past year
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:49 AM)jj22 Wrote: So is this your rule for every position group or just wide receivers? Legit question. Because we've all seen rookies start before. Without producing more than a vet in front of them. Hopefully you don't say that about our new Center if we draft him. What would he have proved over TJ Johnson who has taken reps and game snaps.

Not sure this was directed to me since you didn't quote anyone, but I'll assume it's me.
I think there will be an open competition at C including TJ Johnson. And Johnson is the incumbent, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it as his job to lose, at least at the start of mandatory mini-camp in June.
You and I both know a rookie (even a first-rounder) will not just be given the starting job upon being drafted. They will have to earn it in camp or throughout the season.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 12:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: boyd missed time due to legal issues this past year

This!! Good add Xeno. I was about to mention it, before I read your post. He had some personal things that he had to address. I think this could be a very good year for him. Light switch seemed to flip on down the stretch. 

Beat a division rival and knocked them out of the PO with one nice catch and run. Those kind of things give players second chances and more opportunities.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 09:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I did not ignore anything.

EVERY WR in the league could put together a practice tape where he looks great.   No reading defenses, no adjusting routes, and just edit out any drops or mistakes.

Its not like he made any amazing leaping diving one handed catches or anything.  He just ran some basic routes and managed to catch the ball.

Incredibly inaccurate.  Very few WRs in this league get separation from our DBs.  And quit dancing away from the subject.  You say he isn't better than Lafell because he isn't better in practice.  He did things on that tape that Lafell has not and can not do.  Those basic routes you refer to left our DBs in the dust.  Keep searching.  
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:35 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Point-blank, I think Malone out-performed Core to take his snaps. They are similar players. Core's rookie year didn't have a deep threat on the roster, so he was slotted right into that role.
Boyd is not the same style player as either of them, and Boyd has not outproduced LaFell either year.
So it makes sense (to me anyway) that Boyd is LaFell's backup and Core is Malone's backup as a deep threat.

Excellent point about Core not having AJ Green to draw coverage.  
Reply/Quote

Great point about Core's rookie season and he did that without AJ Green on the other side.  You could see the Baltimore DBs playing off him and he took full advantage.  Based on his totals in the 2017 season, people immediately assume he sucks, despite so many positive reviews coming out of practice.  But he was injured to start the 2017 season and he never really got back in to the good graces to get another shot.  I hope he, Ross, and Malone explode this year and we have a bevy of options outside of AJ Green.  

https://stripehype.com/2017/06/17/cody-core-injury-cincinnati-bengals-season-perspective/
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:23 AM)jj22 Wrote: Fact is Boyd showed he could produce on LaFell's level and he got rewarded by sitting the bench most of his sophomore year.

Fact is that the number of targets that Boyd got his rookie season WHILE LAFELL WAS ON THE TEAM destroys your claim that Marvin just plays vets over young guys no matter what.

Jeremy Hill rushed for 100 yards his rookies season.  Do you blame his decline in carries over the next two seasons on Marvins reluctance to give young players a chance?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 09:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Fact is that the number of targets that Boyd got his rookie season WHILE LAFELL WAS ON THE TEAM destroys your claim that Marvin just plays vets over young guys no matter what.

Jeremy Hill rushed for 100 yards his rookies season.  Do you blame his decline in carries over the next two seasons on Marvins reluctance to give young players a chance?

With all due respect Fred, I don't think Marvin NOT preferring his seasoned vets over untested rookies is a winning argument.

I think to your above point we have to remember AJ being out much of that year.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 07:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Incredibly inaccurate.  Very few WRs in this league get separation from our DBs.  And quit dancing away from the subject.  You say he isn't better than Lafell because he isn't better in practice.  He did things on that tape that Lafell has not and can not do.  Those basic routes you refer to left our DBs in the dust.  Keep searching.  

So you are saying that have 100% proof that we have an amazing WR on the bench that our HC simply refuses to play.  Damn, Marvin Lewis is actively making this team worse...I can't believe the players haven't staged a mutiny to protest the fact that he never loses his job.

Oh wait, they have.  Hmm, maybe there is merit to all this.
Reply/Quote