Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loss that hurt the most in Bengal history
(03-22-2017, 05:01 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: That doesn't sound strange at all. In fact, it makes perfect sense. Very good post   ThumbsUp

I never understand Bengal fans who hold a grudge against the 49ers. Granted, I wasn't born until 1988 and was a mere suckling at the time they played their second super bowl but still, why the frustration with the 49er franchise? They won both Super Bowls fair and square. Sure, they had plenty of breaks go their way but that's not their fault. And plus, we only play them. What... Every 4 years on average? They're not anything like that disgusting franchise in PA.  There's nothing to hate, and plenty to respect IMO. 

That's because your too young to understand we had both of those super bowls won we blow them they didn't win them we gave it to them!
If Tim Krumrie. doesn't break his leg we would have crushed them, plus INT's dropped there was more than one just the one that stands out is the one right before the John Taylor winning TD, also if we played defense the way we played it until that last drive we went into a prevent defense they would have never have been able score on us!
Then on the other super bowl 1st and goal on the one with Big Pete Johnson with the best offensive line in the NFL should have never been stopped four times in a row! 
We blew both of those games!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 04:00 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Damn SF hung another notable loss on us.  Sept 20th, 1987 at Riverfront.  

Bengals lead late 26-20 with the ball on their own 30 with six seconds left.  Bengals try to run the ball on 4th down to run out the clock, but the play only takes four seconds.  San Fran takes over and sure enough Montana hits Rice in end zone.  SF kicks extra point and wins 27-26.

I cited that one in my post. It was awful- but not like the Steeler meltdown .

upon reflection, losing the second super bowl was also really hard- but again we did not hand the game away like we did against the Steelers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 04:30 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I just threw up.  Literally.  Right here at work. All over my desk. My BP is thru the roof.  I think I may be having a stroke or a heart attack.

I thought the Billups drop occurred on the TD before they scored the winning TD. BUt it was Goid awful when it happened.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 04:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This may sound strange, but zI do not remember the two Super Bowl losses hurting as much as the '15 playoff loss.  I mean I was devastated by the SB losses, but I was still young and full of hope.  Fellow Bengal fans did not burst into laughter after the Super Bowl losses if someone said "There is always next year".  

Also the way we just gave away the '15 game was absolutely sickening.  When the Niners came back to win those Super Bowls they pretty much earned it.  But we just handed the game to the Steelers out of sheer stupidity.

And finally, no matter how much I hate the Niners I hate the Steelers more.  Back in the 80's we were not getting beaten down twice a year almost every year by the Niners.

That is the way I see it also. Cry
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 04:28 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: 1) Super Bowl XXIII v. San Francisco (Joe Montana broke my young heart again).
2) 2016 Wild Card game v. Pittsburgh (enough said).
3) 1987 v. San Francisco (first time Joe Montana broke my heart on a last second touchdown to Jerry Rice).
4) 2014 Wild Card game v. San Diego (choke job plain and simple).
5) 2009 opener v. Denver (my worst experience at Paul Brown Stadium).

This pretty much hits most of the bad moments.
Reply/Quote
1a. First Super Bowl loss
1b. 2nd Super bowl loss

2a. 2015 Steeler playoff loss
2b. 2005 Steeler playoff loss

Honorable Mention - Charger playoff loss

Everyone has pretty much covered reason why. I'd only add the 2005 loss with me stings just as much as 2015 because we had finally become relevant again..... only to have the rug jerked out on the 2nd play..... to not being relevant anymore.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 02:19 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I just think we had a shot at a super bowl in 05.  Not sure we were winning the next game last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about that.  The Steelers went on to beat the Colts.  We couldn't beat Manning's Colts.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 06:18 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I thought the Billups drop occurred on the TD before they scored the winning TD. BUt it was Goid awful when it happened.

The Billups drop was before the Rice TD early in the 4th quarter, not the final drive. Still probably cost the game.

I agree that the 2 SB losses and the 2 Pittsburg playoff losses were the worst.

Going way back, the Bengals had key late  losses in 1976 (steelers, raiders) & 1977 (Oilers) that cost the playoffs, gut wrenching!
Reply/Quote
You guys know my Packers haven't beaten you since the 1990s? I can say you guys own us right now.
Reply/Quote
I feel terrible for you guys after that Steelers game. They were very lucky.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 05:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is kind of an obscure loss that hit me really hard.

After three games of the '06 season we were 3-0 with huge road wins against the Chiefs (wildcard team that year), and the defending Super Bowl Champion Steelers. We had won 20 of our last 28 regular season games and Sports Illustarted had us ranked #1 in their power rankings. Palmer had made a miraculous recovery after some predicted that he would not even be ready to play by the start of '06. We seemed to be on top of the world. Then in week 4 the Patriots came into PBS and rolled us 38-13. Serious reality check. At that time watching that game hurt me more than the '05 playoff loss. Once Palmer went down I did not expect us to win, but I was confident we would be back next year contending for a championship. But that beat down by the Pats showed how overrated we really were.

Little did I know that after winning 20 of 28 regular season games we would fall off a cliff and only win 16 of our next 44.

We seemed to repeat history with the "we're on to Cincinnati" game. 3-0 (I think), media showing love, then we get smacked by the New England freight train. It sucked because I thought we stood a serious chance after beating them in 2013.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 07:39 PM)packerbacker Wrote: I feel terrible for you guys after that Steelers game. They were very lucky.

Another loss that always stuck in my gut,

Was when you guys got us 1992. We were 2-0 and seemed to be 3-0 and off to the races. Up by like 20 starting the 4th qtr, seemed it was in the bag. Your starter, I forget his name went out hurt and here came a basically unknown backup who reeled off 3 TD drives I believe to win the game.

Brett Favre
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 05:49 PM)The_WiseOne Wrote: That's because your too young to understand we had both of those super bowls won we blow them they didn't win them we gave it to them!
If Tim Krumrie. doesn't break his leg we would have crushed them, plus INT's dropped there was more than one just the one that stands out is the one right before the John Taylor winning TD, also if we played defense the way we played it until that last drive we went into a prevent defense they would have never have been able score on us!
Then on the other super bowl 1st and goal on the one with Big Pete Johnson with the best offensive line in the NFL should have never been stopped four times in a row! 

Exactly. That's what I meant when I said they had a lot of breaks go their way but that it wasn't their fault. It's our own fault. Our boys blew it several times in both games but the 49ers also made several key plays to win. But why hold a grudge against them for that? 

Yes, they won two Super Bowls at our expense by capitalizing during crucial moments when our guys failed to do so. It's not like they were cheap shotting our players all game long and having their coaches get involved. They won, we lost. No reaason to let it hurt our feelings 3 decades later. Gotta have thicker skin than that.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 08:18 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Exactly. That's what I meant when I said they had a lot of breaks go their way but that it wasn't their fault. It's our own fault. Our boys blew it several times in both games but the 49ers also made several key plays to win. But why hold a grudge against them for that? 

Yes, they won two Super Bowls at our expense by capitalizing during crucial moments when our guys failed to do so. It's not like they were cheap shotting our players all game long and having their coaches get involved. They won, we lost. No reaason to let it hurt our feelings 3 decades later. Gotta have thicker skin than that.

I can't speak for the quoted poster.....but I kind of expectrd the 2015 implosion....but we had SB XXIII WON.  A Super Bowl.  I don't hate the Niners as bad as I used to....and hate the Stoolers much more....but 34 seconds was all that stood between us and a world championship.  It was a gut punch.  So bad in fact....that I became a borderline Saints and Falcoms fan in the late 80s...early 90s because those teams were giving them a run for their money in the NFCWest...and potentially neliminating them from PO contention....lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
The 2005 loss was really bad. I saw Palmer throw a beautiful bomb and me and my friend were in the middle of celebrating that great play only to find Palmer grimacing in pain seconds later. I thought we had a decent chance to at least make the Super Bowl that year. I've never went from complete elation to devastation so quickly. Until....

The 2015 playoff game. That one was worse because the game was in the bag and it was just a complete and total meltdown. Even though I figured our season was shot when Dalton went down.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 05:49 PM)The_WiseOne Wrote: That's because your too young to understand we had both of those super bowls won we blow them they didn't win them we gave it to them!

We never had the first SB won.  We were down 20-0 at halftime.  The four times from the one, Ronnie Lott stealing the ball from Collinsworth on the long completion, etc--they were better in the moment more times than we were.  And they had the greatest SB QB of all time and we didn't.  Both SB's.  No shame in losing either one, if you ask me.  Sure, they hurt like hell.  You'll have that.

Both times we ran into that vicious beast known as Bill Walsh's Revenge.  It could have all been ours.   Bill was just as smart and creative as Paul and Paul couldn't handle that.  Ego changed our whole history.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
I hope you guys win it all if we don't. That would be awesome.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 08:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: I can't speak for the quoted poster.....but I kind of expectrd the 2015 implosion....but we had SB XXIII WON.  A Super Bowl.  I don't hate the Niners as bad as I used to....and hate the Stoolers much more....but 34 seconds was all that stood between us and a world championship.  It was a gut punch.  So bad in fact....that I became a borderline Saints and Falcoms fan in the late 80s...early 90s because those teams were giving them a run for their money in the NFCWest...and potentially neliminating them from PO contention....lol.

I think the 2015 game was more "won" (in the super bowl the :34 remained after the 49ers scored, not when they started the drive) but that's irrelevant. The 2015 implosion didn't surprise me either. Once Hill fumbled I knew, I had that familiar sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that we were going to blow that one. I just didn't know how... 

Anyway, I know the super bowl losses weren't easy. I was a mere 3 months old when it happened but I've seen the full game replay a few times. Again, what did the 49ers do wrong? Honestly, it looked to me like they won against our BS "prevent defense" strategy. If anything I'm more pissed with how our coaches handled the lead in that game. Very reminiscent of our current Marvin Lewis era. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 08:37 PM)McC Wrote: We never had the first SB won.  We were down 20-0 at halftime.  The four times from the one, Ronnie Lott stealing the ball from Collinsworth on the long completion, etc--they were better in the moment more times than we were.  And they had the greatest SB QB of all time and we didn't.  Both SB's.  No shame in losing either one, if you ask me.  Sure, they hurt like hell.  You'll have that.

Both times we ran into that vicious beast known as Bill Walsh's Revenge.  It could have all been ours.   Bill was just as smart and creative as Paul and Paul couldn't handle that.  Ego changed our whole history.

Like I said, if they punch that ball in from the 1, history is much different.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 08:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Like I said, if they punch that ball in from the 1, history is much different.

That's for sure.

Reply/Quote