Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next whipping Bengal?
(03-26-2017, 09:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hey if you're not sold on him, I totally get and respect that. I just didn't think he was nearly as bad as people claimed last year. Yeah the fumble was bad, but one play can't define a career. Especially in a regular season game.

....yeah, but it's unfortunate that if Williams doesn't improve substantially, he got paid based on a good game against Pitt.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 12:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: ....yeah, but it's unfortunate that if Williams doesn't improve substantially, he got paid based on a good game against Pitt.

According to spotrac, his contract has an out for next year. We're close to agreeing. I don't think Williams has THAT far to go, but I would like to see some improvement. Even though $5 million per for a starting safety isn't all that much these days.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: According to spotrac, his contract has an out for next year. We're close to agreeing. I don't think Williams has THAT far to go, but I would like to see some improvement. Even though $5 million per for a starting safety isn't all that much these days.

True....I'm probably just a tad salty about thinking that coin would have been better spent on extending Nelson a couple years.  He didn't drop off a cliff last season in Oaktown on a totally new team/philosophy.  He even saved a couple games for them.  Williams wasn't terrible, but it just seemed that he was picked over Reggie based on picking off Piggy.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: True....I'm probably just a tad salty about thinking that coin would have been better spent on extending Nelson a couple years.  He didn't drop off a cliff last season in Oaktown on a totally new team/philosophy.  He even saved a couple games for them.  Williams wasn't terrible, but it just seemed that he was picked over Reggie based on picking off Piggy.

I understand your stance, but the reality for team it was either/or option because they could not pay the old vet and the young vet. They chose younger which teams are faced with all the time. I love(d) Reggie, but I understand why they chose the guy more likely to be playing in 3 years at a higher level than the older vet.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 07:50 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Here's a new one.

PJ Dawson. 3rd rounder.

not sure why?  hes not done anything on the field so hard to place any blame on him....  
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: True....I'm probably just a tad salty about thinking that coin would have been better spent on extending Nelson a couple years.  He didn't drop off a cliff last season in Oaktown on a totally new team/philosophy.  He even saved a couple games for them.  Williams wasn't terrible, but it just seemed that he was picked over Reggie based on picking off Piggy.

Piggy (2 million in 2016 alone extra for Nelson) and age versus youth. 1 year seems Bengals lost, but not huge loss. Next couple of years will determie smart or bad move by the Bengals. Let's face it Reggie was not worth 4 game swing so either way no playoffs.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I understand your stance, but the reality for team it was either/or option because they could not pay the old vet and the young vet. They chose younger which teams are faced with all the time. I love(d) Reggie, but I understand why they chose the guy more likely to be playing in 3 years at a higher level than the older vet.

(03-27-2017, 10:49 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Piggy (2 million in 2016 alone extra for Nelson) and age versus youth. 1 year seems Bengals lost, but not huge loss. Next couple of years will determie smart or bad move by the Bengals. Let's face it Reggie was not worth 4 game swing so either way no playoffs.

Loved Reggie as well, but I also agree with your take. Williams showed promise and I understood moving on from the (much) older player. Even if there was sure to be some drop off initially. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I wish we had Reggie back. Williams looks lost in coverage. I dislike his game
Reply/Quote
Mikey Boy
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:22 PM)Wyche Wrote:   Williams wasn't terrible, but it just seemed that he was picked over Reggie based on picking off Piggy.

It is the same move every other team would have made.  Isn't it supposed to be better to let a player walk a year early than pay him for a year when he drops off?  Especially when you have a good looking young player waiting to fill his spot.

Some people don't realize how much Shawn played in '15.  He played over 30 snaps (not counting special teams) in 8 games.  He played over 70% of the defensive snaps in 5 games (four starts).  So there was a lot more than just "one game against the Stealers" for the coaches to judge him.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 07:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Peko gone, Rey M. gone. Who will be targeted next to hate on?

I think Og will improve, Bodine won't. So Bodine until he is gone is the easy choice.

Shawn got a lot of flack around here last year and i think somewhat unfairly, he could be the next whipping boy if he doesn't play well.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think Og will improve, Bodine won't. So Bodine until he is gone is the easy choice.

Shawn got a lot of flack around here last year and i think somewhat unfairly, he could be the next whipping boy if he doesn't play well.
Bodine is a target of many. 

I hope we are just so great we have no whipping boys................ Sarcasm

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 12:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Some people don't realize how much Shawn played in '15.  He played over 30 snaps (not counting special teams) in 8 games.  He played over 70% of the defensive snaps in 5 games (four starts).  So there was a lot more than just "one game against the Stealers" for the coaches to judge him.

Yeah, that is true, but the game that sticks into memories is the Pitt game.  The others were solid, if not unspectacular, games.  Nelson didn't really fall off in Oaktown, and he could very well be one of those guys that ages well.  I'm not sure every team in the league would let the NFL leader in INTs just leave to sign a somewhat unproven commodity for similar dough.  I don't think I would, anyway.

Reply/Quote
I think that the hate for Bodine is a fan established law; like, the sun arising.  So that is a given.  But, I think Hill is a good candidate for hate and even Eifert.  Hill is the "2.7 yard" man of the year, and Eifert is made of glass. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Bodine is a target of many. 

I hope we are just so great we have no whipping boys................ Sarcasm

Contrary to Fred's belief almost all of us "haters" hope for the same.

No whipping boys please.

I would be extremely happy if Bodine all of a sudden played like a Probowler, i just find it highly unlikely.
Reply/Quote