Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lou Anarumo VS 2021 VS a replacement DC
As I watch the Vikings struggle in 2020, I'm convinced this is probably the last season for Mike Zimmer in Minnesota. As I watch the Bengals defense struggle in 2020, I'm also convinced this should be the last season of Lou Anarumo in Cincy.

Here's the million dollar question:

If you could have your realistic dream hire at DC for the Bengals, who would it be?

(I still remain a Mike Zimmer fan.)
Reply/Quote
Zimmer is one of the very few X Bengal coaches I'd take back.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If Zimmer becomes available I wouldn't mind if they gave him a shot as the HC.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Biememy HC
Jackson OC
Zimmer DC
Marvin Lewis or John Dorsey GM.
Reply/Quote
I’d fire Lou today if Zimmer was available and wanted the job. Hell I’d fire him today anyway
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 06:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Biememy HC
Jackson OC
Zimmer DC

Hue Jackson?  Are you serious, Clark?

Marvin Lewis as GM?  Good God, no.

There's a reason one of these guys has been on his couch for the last two years, and the other guy is an assistant DC for the powerhouse that is Arizona St.

Set your sights higher, man.  Let's build something new and great.  Not bring in nothing but people that have histories with this team.

I'd love Bienemy.  I'd even be open to Zimmer.  But filliing out your entire staff with former coaches here, who we never even won a playoff game with, seems like pure laziness.
Reply/Quote
Problem with a Bienemy hire is that KC will go deep into the playoffs, and again he won't be able to pick his staff, just like ZT couldn't. ZT isn't a great coach (or so results indicate so far), but I do think the fact that assistants were already picked over is a big part of the problem.
Reply/Quote
I think they'd be nuts to get rid of Zimmer.

He's never won less than 7 games and has a .600 winning percentage there. Not to mention he's been to an NFC Championship. Hell, they lost in the Division round last year in OT. He almost most a 2nd conference championship.

If they were to get rid of him, it just shows how much higher the expectations and standards are elsewhere around the league. Marvin accompished way less and was given 16 years.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 06:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Biememy HC
Jackson OC
Zimmer DC

No.

"The best rookie CB I have ever seen." - Marvin Lewis on Darqueze Dennard
"One of the best pass rushers I have ever worked with." - Marvin Lewis on Michael Johnson
etc

Over many years and many picks, despite being a "guru", he couldn't draft a single good LB. The only good LB he got was one that everyone knew was good, but came with enough red flags that nobody took (Burfict).

He also had a love of turning OL into DT and DT into OL with poor results.

Real GM, not Marvin.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 05:59 PM)P W Wrote: As I watch the Vikings struggle in 2020, I'm convinced this is probably the last season for Mike Zimmer in Minnesota. As I watch the Bengals defense struggle in 2020, I'm also convinced this should be the last season of Lou Anarumo in Cincy.

Here's the million dollar question:

If you could have your realistic dream hire at DC for the Bengals, who would it be?

(I still remain a Mike Zimmer fan.)

Are you not at all concerned that in both games so far, Zim's defense has gotten beaten like a red headed stepchild?  They have given up 71 points and the Bengals have given up 46.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 06:42 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: ZT isn't a great coach (or so results indicate so far), but I do think the fact that assistants were already picked over is a big part of the problem.

Yeah, but what about this year?

If Taylor had to rush and grab assistants that weren't up to snuff, only because of the timing, then why didn't replace them this offseason?

I don't think it's simply coincidence that the best coaches that were still out there just happen to be guys he had a history with.  These are the guys he wanted.  He chose Captain Lou over Jack Del Rio.  That's on him.
Reply/Quote
Zimmer was just given a 3 year extension in July. He is not going anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 06:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yeah, but what about this year?

If Taylor had to rush and grab assistants that weren't up to snuff, only because of the timing, then why didn't replace them this offseason?

I don't think it's simply coincidence that the best coaches that were still out there just happen to be guys he had a history with.  These are the guys he wanted.  He chose Captain Lou over Jack Del Rio.  That's on him.

The Bengals wanted someone from the Saints' defensive staff but were turned down.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 06:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No.

"The best rookie CB I have ever seen." - Marvin Lewis on Darqueze Dennard
"One of the best pass rushers I have ever worked with." - Marvin Lewis on Michael Johnson
etc

Over many years and many picks, despite being a "guru", he couldn't draft a single good LB. The only good LB he got was one that everyone knew was good, but came with enough red flags that nobody took (Burfict).

He also had a love of turning OL into DT and DT into OL with poor results.

Real GM, not Marvin.

I love how Duke Tobin is the "de facto GM", and has been essentially running things for awhile.  But before many of the same things were said about Marvin. 

So which one is it?  Was Marvin essentially the GM, or was Duke Tobin?

The real answer is neither.  The front office's fingerprints can still be found on a lot moves (Cough, Bobby Hart). 

Marvin was just a head coach that had to wear many hats due to a small front office.  Just because he did some scouting and had some say over players doesn't mean he was like a GM.

And even if people want to say he has the experience and background necessary for the job (he doesn't), the fact is his teams never won a single playoff game.

Why would you hire a guy whose experience consists of helping to build teams that didn't win one single playoff game in 16 years.  It makes no sense.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 06:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Zimmer is one of the very few X Bengal coaches I'd take back.

I’d take Jay back in a heartbeat. At least at OC.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 06:45 PM)McC Wrote: Are you not at all concerned that in both games so far, Zim's defense has gotten beaten like a red headed stepchild?  They have given up 71 points and the Bengals have given up 46.

they have major player issues on defense. lost several key players on defense. also have a couple of injury issues on defense. think they have 3 defensive starters from opening day 2019 vs opening day 2020.

Quote:jfkbengals

Zimmer was just given a 3 year extension in July.  He is not going anywhere.

It may not be his choice. They could fire him. The 2020 Vikings are really going to have to do an about face to even sniff a wildcard spot. If they go 6-10 or worse, don't think Zimmer is going to complete that 3 year extension. And I can not believe how bad they look on both sides of the ball. Maybe they turn it around starting around week 5/6 when some of the players could come back, or they don't. And Zimmer being out of work at the end of the season under that circumstance, is not that far of leap.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 06:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yeah, but what about this year?

He didn't decline Del Rio.  All reports stated BOTH sides did not feel the philosophies matched.  At that point, the Saints shunned us from talking to Dennis Allen.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 07:03 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: He didn't decline Del Rio.  All reports stated BOTH sides did not feel the philosophies matched.  At that point, the Saints shunned us from talking to Dennis Allen.

And Aaron Glenn.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 06:45 PM)McC Wrote: Are you not at all concerned that in both games so far, Zim's defense has gotten beaten like a red headed stepchild?  They have given up 71 points and the Bengals have given up 46.

I prefer to go with track record.  He's a proven commodity, with a lot of history to support that he's a great defensive mind.

Their DC left in the offseaon to go to Dallas.  They now have two Co-Coordinators.  And they lost a ton of talent in the offseason.

I think he'll get it figured out.  They may not be as good as they were last season, but I don't think their defense will continue to look this bad.  They got a lot of new players they're trying to work in right now.

What really hurt them today was their offense, and specifically Kirk Cousins.  The dude was 11-26 for 113 yards, with no TD's and 3 picks.  He had a 15.9 QB rating.

I don't care how good your defense is, that kind of play from your QB is going to lead to points.  They still only gave up 28, and held Rivers to 215 with 1 TD and 1 INT.  They didn't do great on the ground (151 yards) but were far from abysmal.  Had the offense stayed on the field more, and had they not turned it over, I think the defensive numbers would have actually been pretty strong.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 07:03 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: He didn't decline Del Rio.  All reports stated BOTH sides did not feel the philosophies matched.  At that point, the Saints shunned us from talking to Dennis Allen.

Which could just be a nice way of saying "Thanks for your time, but we're going with someone else."

Of course, maybe it's true.  Maybe Del Rio even stepped away from a potential offer.

The point is, there had to be better candidates that Lou.  Again, I don't think it's any coincidence that  he ultimately selected a guy he had history with.

I refuse to believe he was the best option.  Familiarity drove the hiring more than timing.  To each their own though...
Reply/Quote