Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lou Interviewing for NYG HC Position
(01-24-2022, 12:22 PM)jason Wrote: I mean I wouldn't be excited about this hire if I were a Giants fan. There are zero HC with a defensive background still standing right now... But not my problem.

If I was going to take an unproven coach I’d probably look at Byron Leftwich or Kellen Moore myself.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 11:15 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: This is just krap rt here.  How you figure?  Cuz Vontaze and Pac Man got disgusted with an obvious screw job by the refs in 15, immediately following the heart break of that doosh rocket Jeremy Hill fumbling away a playoff win.

It was Zimmer's defenses even more than AJ that found a way to carry Andy "oh gosh darn it, we lost in the playoffs again" Dalton to the post season 5 years in a row.

As a HC, he got a medium talent Vikings team to an NFC championship game.

But yea, we're the friggin patriots now right?  We just re-hire Josh McDaniels and everything is fine right?

Hell no.  I say bring in Zimmer, or someone like him, if need be ofc, cuz i'm totally loving Anarumo right now lol.

It might help if you knew Bengal's history before using it as an argument.  Mike Zimmer wasn't DC when that meltdown happened.  In fact, he wasn't DC for most of Dalton's or Green's careers or Burficts either.  He left the Bengals after the 2012 season. 

I base my opinion on watching his Vikings teams. Despite making the playoffs and even having some success in them, his teams often underperformed.  Under his tenure, the Vikings had more losing or .500 seasons than they did winning seasons.  And the drama surrounding his teams leads to bad play.  Locker room drama, unhappy players, leaked stories, on-field penalties, and bad effort...we don't need that here.  Zimmer's time with the Bengals is in the past.  Let everyone remember his time with fondness.  If Lou leaves bring in someone who will fit in with this coaching staff and these players

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And why aren't we a 2-14 team anymore? Could it be..... oh, I don't know....COACHING????

Gee, we're successful now and heading for the AFCCG and possibly the Super Bowl. Let's change coaches and throw the defense into a turmoil next year. Brilliant!!!

Come on, Burrow and Chase are here now and we are somehow no longer a total joke...amazing how that works.  
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:14 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: No way man!  Lol...as an average fan im qualified to talk about Zimmer as though him being an actual successful coach in thus league is nothing compared to expertise i possess.

I already know Zimmer is a bad fit for our personnel cuz I thought about it between bong rips so his actual real life success pales in comparison to my knowledge yo!!

Wow.  Nice to have you back now that the sun is shining again and you got a wild hair.  Don't recall you being this big of a loudmouth before, but we all change.  You're knowledge is that you like Zimmer and you're mad that someone doesn't think he'd be a fit.  My counterpoint made an actual point.  You're only point is "nuh uh, I like him".

I get that you like the guy, but the point is valid.  Different players thrive in different systems.  This is not really a controversial statement.  Unless you want to get emotional about a bygone coach that you're n love with.  Keep flaunting you're ignorance now that you're comfortable posting here again.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:06 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: No defense in the NFL relies on man coverage. The NFL is dominated by zone. It is uncommon to find a team that even plays 50% man. The Vikings play a lot of zone with some man mixed in. 

But Zimmer's will ask his corners to cover alone more than Lou's.  There was capable personnel here before Lou arrived and it took him a couple of offseasons to get the right guys. 

Zimmer's defense went directly into the shitter when he lost the corners that he drafted when he arrived to free agency. He's not a magician. He's not going somewhere and implementing the 2011 or 2012 Bengal defenses with Lou's handpicked guys.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And why aren't we a 2-14 team anymore? Could it be..... oh, I don't know....COACHING????

Gee, we're successful now and heading for the AFCCG and possibly the Super Bowl. Let's change coaches and throw the defense into a turmoil next year. Brilliant!!!

As you likely understand, this is painful for me to say.  Here goes:

You're right.

There.  I said it.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 01:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Come on, Burrow and Chase are here now and we are somehow no longer a total joke...amazing how that works.  

I wasn't aware Burrow and Chase played defense. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 01:31 PM)samhain Wrote: But Zimmer's will ask his corners to cover alone more than Lou's.  There was capable personnel here before Lou arrived and it took him a couple of offseasons to get the right guys. 

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Zimmer's teams ran a significant amount of cover three and cover two, while Cincinnati has favored cover 1 and blitzing when it comes to high pressure situations. They still run that but have been more conservative on the blitz this season, but Minnesota hasn't been a blitz heavy team under Zimmer. They generally sit in their zones. Their defenses really aren't all that different. Zimmer would be able to step in and work just fine with the personnel this team has. 
Reply/Quote
Zim is plenty smart enough to run any scheme he wants, and if he did come here, he would not try to make this round defense fit in a square hole.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 01:40 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by this. Zimmer's teams ran a significant amount of cover three and cover two, while Cincinnati has favored cover 1 and blitzing when it comes to high pressure situations. They still run that but have been more conservative on the blitz this season, but Minnesota hasn't been a blitz heavy team under Zimmer. They generally sit in their zones. Their defenses really aren't all that different. Zimmer would be able to step in and work just fine with the personnel this team has. 

We don't blitz that much either.  It was like pulling teeth getting Lou to to blitz until mid season, and it was always in a specific situation.  When Zimmer was here he definitely wanted guys that could cover in man, which is why Newman played til he was 90 and Pacman followed him here.

It might work eventually, but I'd much rather have someone on the staff from Lou's school of thought.  I dislike the idea of switching horses in the middle of a race when one is running pretty well.  

If Zimmer came on board, I'd rather see it as a front office guy in waiting so he could at least have a feel for things before taking the reigns.  

It will be a moot argument anyway, as I don't see Lou going anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:09 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Like you even have any semblance of a clue.  What a joke.  You have no idea at all wtf you're talking about bro.

I’m just going by what I see. The defense was in bad shape in Lou’s first two years, probably because of the transition from what we ran under Lewis and Zimmer to what we are now. Bengals have invested tons of $ into players that fit into this new scheme. It doesn’t make much sense for us to go back to what we painfully transitioned away from just two years ago.

I get it. Zinmer was really good when he was DC with us. He probably would’ve made a slightly better HC than Marvin. But that doesn’t mean he’s a good fit for the Bengals right now.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 01:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I wasn't aware Burrow and Chase played defense. 

Well they are why we aren't 2-14 and why teams might make our last choice DC into a HC, of course the Giants aren't a very wise organization.

We are at least in the AFC Championship game, if Lou leaves we won't be stuck getting a 17th choice DC like we were last time.  
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 11:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can get behind this.  We aren't a 2-14 team anymore, so Burrow and ZT should be able to bring a top-tier DC in now.  I'm not worried about any of our coaches leaving, because we went from one of the least interesting places to be to one of the most.

Yes, they should be able to attract a top name DC, but I'm kinda hoping that they don't have to.  After watching all of the scheme changes and roster development over the past couple of years, it seems like things are headed in the right direction defensively.  I'd like to see how things turn out at their current trajectory, before having to watch another DC come in and have to customize everything to his preferences.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Why, you don't like winning? GTFOOH with that crap...

if I needed your opinion I'd ask you for it, now move along!!!! Whatever

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 02:34 PM)RASCAL Wrote: if I needed your opinion I'd ask you for it, now move along!!!! Whatever

Your post was screaming for my opinion.... Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 02:36 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Your post was screaming for my opinion.... Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

whats so funny??? absolutely nothing!!!

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:32 PM)pally Wrote: It might help if you knew Bengal's history before using it as an argument.  Mike Zimmer wasn't DC when that meltdown happened.  In fact, he wasn't DC for most of Dalton's or Green's careers or Burficts either.  He left the Bengals after the 2012 season. 

I base my opinion on watching his Vikings teams. Despite making the playoffs and even having some success in them, his teams often underperformed.  Under his tenure, the Vikings had more losing or .500 seasons than they did winning seasons.  And the drama surrounding his teams leads to bad play.  Locker room drama, unhappy players, leaked stories, on-field penalties, and bad effort...we don't need that here.  Zimmer's time with the Bengals is in the past.  Let everyone remember his time with fondness.  If Lou leaves bring in someone who will fit in with this coaching staff and these players

2013* Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Are people forgetting that the Bengals literally signed two of Zimmer's CBs in 2020 to be starters in Wayne's and Alexander? Saying that Zimmer couldn't coach this group is a bit odd.

I think one of the reasons why they signed Lou was because he is so similar to Zimmer. From a personality and scheme point not view.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 03:00 PM)J24 Wrote: Are people forgetting that the Bengals literally signed two of Zimmer's CBs in 2020 to be starters in Wayne's and Alexander? Saying that Zimmer couldn't coach this group is a bit odd.

I think one of the reasons why they signed Lou was because he is so similar to Zimmer. From a personality and scheme point not view.

One that can't get on the field even when healthy and banking huge checks and another that they returned to the sender.
Reply/Quote
Congrats Lou, Good Luck if its what you want.
Reply/Quote