Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lou Interviewing for NYG HC Position
(01-23-2022, 10:00 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: In what way?  We have 43 base personnel.  If I'm not mistaken, Zimmer is versed in 34 or 43 base schemes anyway but leans toward 43 preferentially.

I'm not seeing how a dude who's universally recognized as an outstanding DC, and a decent HC to boot, would be a "bad fit" for our personnel.

Because we have corners that have skills geared toward zone coverage that Lou hand-picked for that reason.  Zimmer's schemes rely on man coverage.  We'd be wasting the gold we found with Awuzie.  He's one of the best in the league as a zone corner, but not so great in tight man.  

If we're being literal, our defense is a 4-2-5 even in it's base form.  
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:56 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: This, exactly.  Lou built this defense (assistants, free agents and draft choices) to fit his system.  Changing coaches isn't like changing a light bulb.  I love Zim, but IF we lose Anarumo his successor -- if at all possible -- needs to come from within.

PS, good for Lou

No.  Hell no.

That's the type of approach Mikey Boy employed for literally decades that failed miserably.

In house he says....I don't think so pal.

This whole narrative just got fast forwarded big time by Burrow and the freak shows.

We're winning now, one dub from the Super Bowl.  We're not hibernating or incubating and honing our craft hoping that in 2 or 3 years we can make a run.

We're making a run rt now.  If you lose a key contributor like your DC after this season, you don't just take the cheap easy option of promoting a position coach you already have.

If it comes to it, you absolutely take a long hard look at a guy like Zimmer.  There is familiarity with a guy who's already been successful in Cincy, proven stud of a DC who wasn't a bad HC either....when you've got the talent on the field to potentially attract a coach of his pedigree, you look into it for sure.  Ya don't necessarily do it, ya gotta do your due diligence for something this important in real time....but you def look...and you certainly don't just assume the position coaches you could get at a discount will be just as good as other coaches with more experience and better resumes.

This franchise's entire history is different if the Bengals had the foresight to promote the right guy when Paul Brown retired.  They went with tenure, and Tiger Johnson had been on staff longer then Bill Walsh at the time.

Promoting from within/sticking with a coach who's long since proven ineffective as often as the Bengals have over the years, seems to me like Mike Brown doubling down on his old man's stubborn refusal to promote the better man back in the day.  Paul Brown went with the guy who had more tenure.  Mike Brown treated that abomination of a hiring decision as a "hold my beer" moment for decades as he proceeded to hire/not fire the Dave Shula's, Dick LeBeau's and Marvin Lewis' of the world.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 06:31 PM)Watersider Wrote: No way to bringing Zim back. He was with the Bengals when we were in that phase of good but not very good. His defenses would underperform too often in big games and he never seemed to win the big moments. I'm baffled by many things Lou does, but this defense has largely played well when it matters most in games. I also think it's just a really bad move to revisit the frustrating recent Bengals past when this team has done so much to create new tracks.

Zimmer's teams and players are undisciplined and his locker room, at least publically, was chaotic.  No way would Zac bring that onboard regardless of how potentially good it could be 

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 10:05 PM)samhain Wrote: Because we have corners that have skills geared toward zone coverage that Lou hand-picked for that reason.  Zimmer's schemes rely on man coverage.  We'd be wasting the gold we found with Awuzie.  He's one of the best in the league as a zone corner, but not so great in tight man.  

Yea, I'm aware that a nickel back has all but replaced a third LB'er on most snaps going back several years now due to the evolution of the rules and how the game is called by the refs.  43 or 34 at this point is a reference to which type of edge rushers a team employs (Lawerence Taylor or Reggie White) and of course whether or not your nose tackle plays a one or a zero tech.

I'm not sure if Zimmer is so married to man coverage that he would insist on it with corners who can't play it.  I kindly doubt it.  Although I know he prefers it.  At any rate, you can determine that in interviews with the guy.

We're hiring from a position of strength.  We've got a ton of young talent in their prime or approaching it.  We're clearly good enough to win it all already.  If we lose Anarumo in the same year that an outstanding defensive coordinator/decent HC who we're already familiar becomes available and just write it off.....nah man.  Zimmer is a solid and deserving candidate that you absolutely consider should it become necessary.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 10:50 PM)pally Wrote: Zimmer's teams and players are undisciplined and his locker room, at least publically, was chaotic.  No way would Zac bring that onboard regardless of how potentially good it could be 

This is just krap rt here.  How you figure?  Cuz Vontaze and Pac Man got disgusted with an obvious screw job by the refs in 15, immediately following the heart break of that doosh rocket Jeremy Hill fumbling away a playoff win.

It was Zimmer's defenses even more than AJ that found a way to carry Andy "oh gosh darn it, we lost in the playoffs again" Dalton to the post season 5 years in a row.

As a HC, he got a medium talent Vikings team to an NFC championship game.

But yea, we're the friggin patriots now right?  We just re-hire Josh McDaniels and everything is fine right?

Hell no.  I say bring in Zimmer, or someone like him, if need be ofc, cuz i'm totally loving Anarumo right now lol.
Reply/Quote
Hope he gets hired, and GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 11:42 PM)RASCAL Wrote: Hope he gets hired, and GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!

I can get behind this.  We aren't a 2-14 team anymore, so Burrow and ZT should be able to bring a top-tier DC in now.  I'm not worried about any of our coaches leaving, because we went from one of the least interesting places to be to one of the most.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 04:32 PM)Stewy Wrote: As 3-4 other posters have said, both defenses are DB focused, but Zimms relies upon man cover DBs, whereas, Lou's relies upon zone cover DBs.  We have exactly the wrong types of DBs to run Zimms schemes.

This.... which is exactly why the defense was not very good until they got the personnel to fit that scheme. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:14 PM)Housh Wrote: Zimmer would have an absolute field day with Hendrickson, Ossai coming back, Logan, Hilton, Bates, Bell and whatever guys we sign in FA. If we got Zimmer i predict we’d become the best blitzing team in the league within 2 off seasons

Eww.

Going from Lou’s scheme to Zims is a terrible idea with how much the Bengals have invested into Lou’s. It took the defense 2 seasons to transition from Marv/Zim to Lou. Would take time to transition back.
Reply/Quote
....wait a minute, I thought all these guys were bums. Ninja

Reply/Quote
Torn on whether I care or not.

Depends on whether Lou can get production from draft picks.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 04:15 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I hear that guy Stink Fartindale is available Hilarious
but seriously....I would like to know what are our options if sweet Lou bolts. I agree with another poster that we dont need an old school guy like Zimmer but  a younger more relatable one seems a better fit.  

So "younger and more reliable" are your qualifications?

Thats awesome,  what evidence do you know of that points to Zimmer not being either one of those things.

Pretty wild to me how cocky ppl are who know nothing of the game first hand but speak nonchalantly about a guy like Zimmer who gas forgotten more football than they'll ever know.

Dude was in the NFC championship but message board posters just dismiss him as if they have a ***** clue.  Lmao ?
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 10:05 PM)samhain Wrote: Because we have corners that have skills geared toward zone coverage that Lou hand-picked for that reason.  Zimmer's schemes rely on man coverage.  We'd be wasting the gold we found with Awuzie.  He's one of the best in the league as a zone corner, but not so great in tight man.  

No defense in the NFL relies on man coverage. The NFL is dominated by zone. It is uncommon to find a team that even plays 50% man. The Vikings play a lot of zone with some man mixed in. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 11:42 PM)RASCAL Wrote: Hope he gets hired, and GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!

Why, you don't like winning? GTFOOH with that crap...
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 11:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can get behind this.  We aren't a 2-14 team anymore, so Burrow and ZT should be able to bring a top-tier DC in now.  I'm not worried about any of our coaches leaving, because we went from one of the least interesting places to be to one of the most.

And why aren't we a 2-14 team anymore? Could it be..... oh, I don't know....COACHING????

Gee, we're successful now and heading for the AFCCG and possibly the Super Bowl. Let's change coaches and throw the defense into a turmoil next year. Brilliant!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:06 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: No defense in the NFL relies on man coverage. The NFL is dominated by zone. It is uncommon to find a team that even plays 50% man. The Vikings play a lot of zone with some man mixed in. 

No way man!  Lol...as an average fan im qualified to talk about Zimmer as though him being an actual successful coach in thus league is nothing compared to expertise i possess.

I already know Zimmer is a bad fit for our personnel cuz I thought about it between bong rips so his actual real life success pales in comparison to my knowledge yo!!
Reply/Quote
It's well known that the Brown family consider Zimmer "the one that got away." That said, I don't know that they will hire a recently fired head coach as a coordinator and have him come in still carrying a HC attitude and clashing with Taylor. Not saying Zim would do this, but the possibility for disruption is there. I want to keep Lou, but if he leaves, I sure would welcome Zim back.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And why aren't we a 2-14 team anymore? Could it be..... oh, I don't know....COACHING????

Gee, we're successful now and heading for the AFCCG and possibly the Super Bowl. Let's change coaches and throw the defense into a turmoil next year. Brilliant!!!

When coaches do a good job, they get promotions.  Successful teams have to solve that issue by making making smart hires.

You and anyone else who thinks dismissing out of turn a guy like Zimmer makes any ***** sense are quite frankly delusional.

Yall don't know shit.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 03:04 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: ....wait a minute, I thought all these guys were bums. Ninja

I mean I wouldn't be excited about this hire if I were a Giants fan. There are zero HC with a defensive background still standing right now... But not my problem.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:22 PM)jason Wrote: I mean I wouldn't be excited about this hire if I were a Giants fan. There are zero HC with a defensive background still standing right now... But not my problem.

I was more referring to these guys getting interviewed, but your point stands. 

Reply/Quote