Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lou Interviewing for NYG HC Position
(01-23-2022, 02:03 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is awful. I hope Lou Anarumo completely tanks the interview and stays in Cincinnati…

…but I’ve heard Lou talk and he will interview very well.  If he gets hired by the Giants as head coach I want Mike Zimmer back as defensive coordinator in Cincinnati.  This defense is freaking loaded and full of talent and Zim would have so much fun making them into the best in the league.

I would gladly take Zimmer back!! Not sure if he would want to come back to Cincy as a DC tho. He might try and get a HC job elsewhere. 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:53 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I hope everyone stays. I know it's tempting to "chase the money," and prestige... but the Bengals have something special brewing... don't f**k it up, now.

The money difference is probably a lot.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think that Lou will get the job. He's a good DC, but I don't see a team that's as far into the shitter with it's fan base as the Giants being able to sell him as a franchise savior.

Again, he's done a fine job this year, but would you want the guy to be your team's head coach? I would not.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:49 PM)samhain Wrote: I'd love to have him, but the personnel doesn't fit very well.

I agree.. Zimmer is at his best with under performing guys who need the push from a disciplinarian.. These guys don't need grampa yelling at them.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 02:11 PM)grampahol Wrote: I agree.. Zimmer is at his best with under performing guys who need the push from a disciplinarian.. These guys don't need grampa yelling at them.. 

It's more about the actual scheme.  Man vs. zone corners, Lou's reluctance to blitz, etc.  Both are DB-oriented coaches, but they have very different ideas about a db's role in the defense.  

Not long ago, it was rumored that Lou was a real a-hole to his players, too.  The front office spent 2 years accumulating personel to fit Lou's scheme.  All but Waynes have been damn near home-run signings.  No way they rebuild it again in the middle of what looks like a potential championship window for this team.  
Reply/Quote
I'm with samhain. Even now, Lou doesn't have the best resume. As position coach, his secondaries never lit it up. As DC, we were kinda middle of the road this year. It certainly wouldn't be a thrilling hire for any fanbase.

That said, if we lose him (hopefully we don't), I agree with Speedy Thomas. It has to be somebody who can keep the system going. We completely rebuilt this defense around that system.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
He was a Giants position coach a few years ago. Now they want him back? I think this is revenge for stealing BJ Hill from them. Shame that Billy Price didn’t work out. Thought he would improve by now.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Wink Martendale is available if we lose Lou. he seems to get the best out of Burrow
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I was definitely in the who is the guy, he’s gotta camp to onboard with him since last year. Never thought I’d day hope he stays but I do.

Not sure he’s ready for a hc gig but maybe he is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 02:10 PM)samhain Wrote: I don't think that Lou will get the job.  He's a good DC, but I don't see a team that's as far into the shitter with it's fan base as the Giants being able to sell him as a franchise savior.  

Again, he's done a fine job this year, but would you want the guy to be your team's head coach?  I would not.

This. I listen to 660 AM sports radio in New York. The fans will be extremely angry if Lou is hired. They wanted someone established as a head coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 02:07 PM)magikod Wrote: I would gladly take Zimmer back!! Not sure if he would want to come back to Cincy as a DC tho. He might try and get a HC job elsewhere. 

Don't see it happening, as I would think that would negate the remaining contract he is due from the Vikings.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 02:15 PM)samhain Wrote: It's more about the actual scheme.  Man vs. zone corners, Lou's reluctance to blitz, etc.  Both are DB-oriented coaches, but they have very different ideas about a db's role in the defense.  

Not long ago, it was rumored that Lou was a real a-hole to his players, too.  The front office spent 2 years accumulating personel to fit Lou's scheme.  All but Waynes have been damn near home-run signings.  No way they rebuild it again in the middle of what looks like a potential championship window for this team.  

I hear that guy Stink Fartindale is available Hilarious
but seriously....I would like to know what are our options if sweet Lou bolts. I agree with another poster that we dont need an old school guy like Zimmer but  a younger more relatable one seems a better fit.  
Reply/Quote
Lance McAllister opined that LB coach Al Golden would be the most likely choice to move up to DC if Lou gets the new gig

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: If Lou accepts the Giants HC job, might be the Bengals hire Mike Zimmer as DC?

If he would be willing I would love this move.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:49 PM)samhain Wrote: I'd love to have him, but the personnel doesn't fit very well.

I don't know. We'd really just need to draft a LB somewhat high maybe in the 2nd? Or get someone in free agency. That seems to be the only thing. Unless your thinking Zim wants to run more man coverage?
Reply/Quote
Echoing a couple posters above, he would be a very, very tough sell in New York. I just don't see it. A few more years with us, maybe a Super Bowl, then New York can have him.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:23 PM)M.W. Wrote: I think just keeping what we have on defense is really enough.  Yeah draft a couple defensive players but in FA you have to be insane not to hold the OL as they most important improvement opportunity.  

Zimmer could do wonders with this D though.

Yeah I'm thinking you open the wallet and keep all the pieces you can. Then try and get one of the best olineman available in free agency. Then in the 1st if the right olineman is there take him. 2 LB 3 DE/DT then in the 4th go WR and maybe another lineman. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 02:58 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: He was a Giants position coach a few years ago. Now they want him back? I think this is revenge for stealing BJ Hill from them. Shame that Billy Price didn’t work out. Thought he would improve by now.

I saw something a while back that Price was rated one of the top centers in the league the latter half of the season. Maybe someone can tell us his PFF ranking.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 04:20 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I don't know. We'd really just need to draft a LB somewhat high maybe in the 2nd? Or get someone in free agency. That seems to be the only thing. Unless your thinking Zim wants to run more man coverage?

As 3-4 other posters have said, both defenses are DB focused, but Zimms relies upon man cover DBs, whereas, Lou's relies upon zone cover DBs.  We have exactly the wrong types of DBs to run Zimms schemes.
Reply/Quote