Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
MJ Cut, Barkley IRed
(09-02-2018, 08:56 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: It was because they trusted him to not sign anywhere else.  They probably told him when they cut him they had to keep 2 guys to get them on ir and told him they would sign him back at full salary after they sneak their guys to the ir without losing one of them the full season.  It was simply a roster move to get our guys to ir by cutting a veteran they trusted to be loyal and come back.

Bingo!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 08:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If i'm MJ, i'm not sure if i'm happy or sad that the Bengals cut me because they knew no one would pick me up and they could just re-sign me without taking a chance of losing someone else on the roster.

Probably both.  A little sad for the reason you said but happy cuz you're still making great money.

He can make this his retirement year.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Guess that's why when people called MJ to say sorry to hear the news, he just said don't you worry about me. I'll be juuuust fine. And they all thought, wow, he's really taking it well.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
This is one of those 1 step forward, 1 step back sorta things...
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Ugh. They could have replaced him with an orange cone with the vet minimum and saved money. This guy parlayed a good season into 10 years. Impressive.
Reply/Quote
Not sure why everyone is so against this move...we've been grabbing DEs off the scrap heap the last few years. Johnson is 1) A team leader 2) Still a decent player 3) A one year deal. Only reason it would bother me is if Willis didn't get a healthy share of snaps. I'd like to see MJ at 20 or so and Willis at 30
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 08:56 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: It was because they trusted him to not sign anywhere else.  They probably told him when they cut him they had to keep 2 guys to get them on ir and told him they would sign him back at full salary after they sneak their guys to the ir without losing one of them the full season.  It was simply a roster move to get our guys to ir by cutting a veteran they trusted to be loyal and come back.

Exactly! They had to cut a vet for a day so they could stash guys on IR. He was trustworthy enough and a big enough team player to do this, which is why none of them put anything on Twitter. Good deal.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 07:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How bizarre, it's not like another team was going to snap him up at that pay rate.  I'm a bit curious as to how that works.  If he's cut, isn't he a free agent, making his previous contract null and void?  

It's not hard to understand, it was a roster ploy. ML says "Mike, we need to cut a vet or two so that we can stash a couple of guys on IR. Would you be ok if we cut you for a day, then resigned you to the same contract you had to facilitate this? MJ says "Sure thing coach, whatever it takes to help the team, see you Sunday"
Reply/Quote
I’m not against having him for one final year, remember that he’s gonna play some DT too.
Reply/Quote

^^^^^

I've been saying it since he and Hewitt were cut.  They are not subject to waivers, so it's easy to do a handshake deal of we are going to re-up you tomorrow after we get the IR guys done. The alternative was waive Tate for now and see if he went unclaimed. The easier option is what they did with MJ...
Reply/Quote
Glad to see him back, gives us more versatility upfront. , still decent against the run on the edge, which we need, then also play tackle on obvious pass downs we might have the best overall pass rush if we can stay healthy.. MJ Geno up the middle, Lawson and Dunlap at the edges.. we can drop 7 most of the time and just keep the pressure on up front
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 09:00 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I saw they saved money cutting him and resigning him. Where is everyone seeing this about the same contract!?

Reported by PDJ.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/09/02/bengals-stay-put-ink-10-practice-squad-michael-johnson/1181428002/Bengals re-sign Michael Johnson, ink 10 to practice squad

Quote: According to league sources, other teams did jump in the mix for his services, but Johnson opted to return on a one-year deal. It was essentially the same contract he was on the prior contract, which was in its final year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 07:27 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=DEFENSIVE_LINEMAN&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2017&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=1&role=

This is interesting and I never would have guessed it.  Notable rankings to look at: 20 and 31.

Maybe there is something I’m missing but the more I look at this, the more I don’t understand.

I pointed out in training camp that MJ had a better year last year than others made it out.. his ability to move to tackle is a plus for this team on passing downs.. plus just adds to the rotation even more... 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 11:08 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Glad to see him back, gives us more versatility upfront. , still decent against the run on the edge, which we need, then also play tackle on obvious pass downs  we might have the best overall pass rush if we can stay healthy.. MJ Geno up the middle, Lawson and Dunlap at the edges.. we can drop 7 most of the time and just keep the pressure on up front

The least he can do is accomplish what Peko did for years. Get no pressure but make the tackle after a simple 3 or 4 yard gain because he left a hole where Geno shoved the center/guard back. 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 11:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Reported by PDJ.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/09/02/bengals-stay-put-ink-10-practice-squad-michael-johnson/1181428002/Bengals re-sign Michael Johnson, ink 10 to practice squad

Is the link not working for anyone else?
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 08:55 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Rewarding an (almost) life long Bengal for his veteran locker room presence,and contributions throughout his tenure. I like it. It actually shows some integrity by MB,ML,& the FO. Nothing wrong with this imho.

Nothing wrong with it as long as you never want to truly compete for a SB. This is about the dumbest
reason to over pay a player
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 12:22 AM)Sweetness Wrote: Is the link not working for anyone else?

Probably because I posted from my phone. Just copy the whole text and paste it in a browser

Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 12:20 AM)Sweetness Wrote: The least he can do is accomplish what Peko did for years. Get no pressure but make the tackle after a simple 3 or 4 yard gain because he left a hole where Geno shoved the center/guard

Last year he  lead the dline in tackles and 4th in sacks, he was not a scrub.. as for tackle play that will be to rush at times on passing downs, will give us more weapons on the line.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 08:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So to recap:

They cut him
They bring him back the next day
Same money
1 year deal...which is all he had left anyway

I'm confused as to why they even cut him.  Shocked

Have they Bengals or MJ confirmed the same deal? I know is can't be exactly same deal as other deal had bonuses in it, so maybe it is not the same exact same deal and we have to wait until the contract cap numbers are confirmed.

As for bringing him back, he is one of the best 8 DL on our roster even though his skills have diminished. He is also a team leader in the locker room and sets a great example for all NFL players to follow..class act.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Several have already alluded to this, but they cut him to be able to keep some of the younger players they drafted. As a vet, he was not subject to waivers. He became an immediate free agent and could sign with any team. Younger player would have to go through waivers and could be claimed by other teams without right of refusal. Once the young players made the 53, the Bengals are allowed to put them on IR.

Apparently the Bengals cut him with an agreement in place that they would re-sign him at the money he was going to earn anyway after they put a couple guys on IR. Some other teams came calling, but Johnson stayed true to the agreement and re-signed. The Bengals did right by him and resigned him for the full amount he would have gotten in his final year for the favor. It also benefited the Bengals by allowing them to go a little lighter on D line, and keep players at other positions. Once they were stocked and IRed, they resign Johnson and get back to proper D line depth.

It was another case of the Bengals continuing to do things they haven't done in the past and operate like a real NFL team. Good move.
Reply/Quote