Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
MJ Cut, Barkley IRed
(09-03-2018, 08:10 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Have they Bengals or MJ confirmed the same deal? I know is can't be exactly same deal as other deal had bonuses in it, so maybe it is not the same exact same deal and we have to wait until the contract cap numbers are confirmed.

As for bringing him back, he is one of the best 8 DL on our roster even though his skills have diminished. He is also a team leader in the locker room and sets a great example for all NFL players to follow..class act.

The Enquirer article says that it's essentially the same deal.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
So the youth movement takes a ding. Hope it works out is all I can say.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 09:44 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So the youth movement takes a ding. Hope it works out is all I can say.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the move, but who are we to second guess the coaches?  They must have been really unimpressed with the DTs that we had in camp this year.  I mean, I totally understand the move.  MJ is a great guy, brings veteran experience and stability to the unit.  I'm just hoping that his snap count at DE doesn't hinder the development of guys like Lawson and Willis.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 11:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I pointed out in training camp that MJ had a better year last year than others made it out.. his ability to move to tackle is a plus for this team on passing downs.. plus just adds to the rotation even more... 

Exactly, and that is how they are going to use him... as a DT on passing downs. He's gonna be hard to throw over...
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 10:15 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the move, but who are we to second guess the coaches?  They must have been really unimpressed with the DTs that we had in camp this year.  I mean, I totally understand the move.  MJ is a great guy, brings veteran experience and stability to the unit.  I'm just hoping that his snap count at DE doesn't hinder the development of guys like Lawson and Willis.

Feel free to second guess the coaches, ML deserves it. The MJ move in and of itself is fine, it is paying him $6M that is not fine. He may have had interest from other teams but no one was going to pay him even half that money.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
he stiĺl can effective even though hes lost a step. lets not forget cause if his 6'7 frame he can still get
his arms up to disrupt passing lanes and deflect throws.
other than Dunlap.hes the only proven lineman that can do such.
hes been a stellar part of the lockeroom and a great example for the younger DEs.
if one of the younger DEs gets hurt your gonna be glad we resigned him.
Reply/Quote
To add Johnson someone had to go. Harris is eligible to return.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'm ok with the move. I have a question. If an NFL team is under the salary cap, does that money roll over into next year's cap to be used the following year? Or is it on a year to year basis?
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 10:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Exactly, and that is how they are going to use him... as a DT on passing downs. He's gonna be hard to throw over...

Except he'll be on the weak side with Geno on the strong side, meaning that most passes won't go over him.

He'll still be a force and that will still come into play, but it wouldn't be as difficult as it would if he were on the strong side.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 10:15 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the move, but who are we to second guess the coaches?  They must have been really unimpressed with the DTs that we had in camp this year.  I mean, I totally understand the move.  MJ is a great guy, brings veteran experience and stability to the unit.  I'm just hoping that his snap count at DE doesn't hinder the development of guys like Lawson and Willis.

Agree,

I hope his snaps at DE are very, very limited !
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 11:31 AM)jorev5 Wrote: I'm ok with the move. I have a question.  If an NFL team is under the salary cap, does that money roll over into next year's cap to be used the following year? Or is it on a year to year basis?

It is up to each individual team.  The Bengals. like most teams, seem to roll it over every year, but some teams don't.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 09:15 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Enquirer article says that it's essentially the same deal.  

I know, but the world we live in fake or bad news reporting seems to happen more often than not.

So, once the team confirms it, I will believe it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
So they cut MJ to reshuffle the roster a bit. Pretty smart move honestly. And shows the trust they have in each other.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 06:54 PM)pally Wrote: no pay cut....he re-signed the same contract he had before he was cut

WTF - why cut him at all then?
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 03:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Why is this so hard to understand? He wasn't "cut", he was cut for a day simply to be able to protect a couple of younger players from waivers so they could go to IR.... the plan was always to bring him back the next day with the same deal.  It's not rocket science....

We know it cannot be rocket science because the Bengals were involved
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 03:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Why is this so hard to understand? He wasn't "cut", he was cut for a day simply to be able to protect a couple of younger players from waivers so they could go to IR.... the plan was always to bring him back the next day with the same deal.  It's not rocket science....

He was cut and got offers choose to come back to Bengals, regardless if that was the hopeful plan, he could have left on his own even with a deal in place.
Reply/Quote

This.

I thought he looked terrible all pre-season, but it's not like I see everything, and my degree is in social work and I only played high school ball - pretty badly.

I'd rather have had Hewitt on the roster.  But they were hardly using him.

Mores the pity.

As a man MJ is totally a wonderful man.   We'll see how things go.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 08:56 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: It was because they trusted him to not sign anywhere else.  They probably told him when they cut him they had to keep 2 guys to get them on ir and told him they would sign him back at full salary after they sneak their guys to the ir without losing one of them the full season.  It was simply a roster move to get our guys to ir by cutting a veteran they trusted to be loyal and come back.

This or maybe the cuts didn't get approved by Mike Brown and when he found out, he brought him back. You know, have to complete the Vets contracts and don't want to be known as a place that cuts people immaturely.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 03:10 PM)Stewy Wrote: WTF - why cut him at all then?

OMG
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 05:36 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: This or maybe the cuts didn't get approved by Mike Brown and when he found out, he brought him back. You know, have to complete the Vets contracts and don't want to be known as a place that cuts people immaturely.

OMG!  You are so witty.  

You should forward that to Brandon LaFell and George Iloka.
Reply/Quote