Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ML Gone! Fans Reaction Prediction Thread
(12-31-2018, 12:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: McVay and Reid all brought in 3-4 free agent upgrades when they were hired.

IF say we hired a new coach and brought in 2 new lineman that were good and 2 new LB's...we'd be sitting pretty.

The thing that's tough here too is that our coaches are scouts and handle a lot of the draft. They'll also need to install a new offense and defense. That's a huge amount of responsibilities.

But, someone from the outside might be able to come in and quickly upgrade processes to league standards.

Yeah, I'm definitely agreeing that we do not bring the easiest job. But I don't think it's impossible here either. We have some good things we can present to a HC.

That's why I'm not agreeing that it's playoffs or bust for the new guy next year. If he does what Wilks did in ARI? Then yeah, maybe. But if I can see some promise and catching up with the times to the modern NFL, I'd be pretty excited.

This team isn't winning a SB next year, which is what we care about. But I have to see progress towards that goal. Marvin, outside of 2005 IMO, never showed it.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know one fan reaction we will NOT get.

None of the guys who have been wearing out the keyboards guaranteeing over and over again the "Marvin is going nowhere" will eat any crow.

I'll share some crow with the people who were sure he was gone after last year, too.  You can't blame people for being stunned Marvin was finally let go.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I’ll eat crow when it’s confirmed it’s not Hue.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:53 PM)thillan Wrote: Yeah, I'm definitely agreeing that we do not bring the easiest job. But I don't think it's impossible here either. We have some good things we can present to a HC.

That's why I'm not agreeing that it's playoffs or bust for the new guy next year. If he does what Wilks did in ARI? Then yeah, maybe. But if I can see some promise and catching up with the times to the modern NFL, I'd be pretty excited.

This team isn't winning a SB next year, which is what we care about. But I have to see progress towards that goal. Marvin, outside of 2005 IMO, never showed it.

I was a ticket holder in the club section for a very long time. I had 4 tickets and my friends and relatives had 4 tickets so 8 premium ticket holders. We gave up our tickets after ML was brought back in 2018.

The prospect of improving to 8-8 is not enough for me to consider buying those tickets again. The issue will be the new HC will come in with 60% of the stadium full and 10 to 25% of those opposing fans. Why important? Home field is about the energy the crowd brings to the home team and ability to disrupt them on offense. In essence, I don't see a home field advantage for us in 2019.

I am not getting any younger, I can't wait for a 2 or 3 year rebuild, I won't approve of a rebuild, this team has to win now for me regardless of the head coach.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:
McVay and Reid all brought in 3-4 free agent upgrades when they were hired.

IF say we hired a new coach and brought in 2 new lineman that were good and 2 new LB's...we'd be sitting pretty.

The thing that's tough here too is that our coaches are scouts and handle a lot of the draft. They'll also need to install a new offense and defense. That's a huge amount of responsibilities.

But, someone from the outside might be able to come in and quickly upgrade processes to league standards.

I agree, our 4-3 defense is outdated. I would welcome a change to a 3-4.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Can we really celebrate something that is 6 years too late?

Yes. Better late than never.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:05 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I was a ticket holder in the club section for a very long time. I had 4 tickets and my friends and relatives had 4 tickets so 8 premium ticket holders. We gave up our tickets after ML was brought back in 2018.

The prospect of improving to 8-8 is not enough for me to consider buying those tickets again. The issue will be the new HC will come in with 60% of the stadium full and 10 to 25% of those opposing fans. Why important? Home field is about the energy the crowd brings to the home team and ability to disrupt them on offense. In essence, I don't see a home field advantage for us in 2019.

I am not getting any younger, I can't wait for a 2 or 3 year rebuild, I won't approve of a rebuild, this team has to win now for me regardless of the head coach.

We humans are a curious breed, I think if we go outside the organization and hire, add some FAs, fans will be back, hoping to see the changes.
I'm with you, I'm not getting any younger and would like to win now and not wait till I'm old and don't care anymore.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:12 PM)sandwedge Wrote: We humans are a curious breed, I think if we go outside the organization and hire, add some FAs, fans will be back, hoping to see the changes.
I'm with you, I'm not getting any younger and would like to win now and not wait till I'm old and don't care anymore.

Add in why do fans expect ML to win playoffs and Super Bowl, then guy with the same team gets no expectations or a pass?

Why?

Reply/Quote
What I want to see:

- A young - up and coming - offensive mind. There are several, so I won't list them all.
- Mike Zimmer. He's the only defensive guy I'd really be cool with.
- LET THE NEW COACH CHOOSE HIS OWN STAFF. This is super important, hence the caps.
- NO ONE WITH MARV STENCH ON HIM. I don't count Zimmer because he spent more time under guys like Parcells.

What would piss me off:

- Hue Jackson, Vance Joseph or any Bengals re-tread who failed as a HC already.
- Mikey forcing half the old staff on a new HC, like he did to Marvin when Bratkowski, PA and most offensive staff were kept in 2003.
- An obviously lazy or cheap hire. It'll be pretty obvious who the hot names are, and there will be more than 8 of them.

This isn't complicated. Just handle the coaching vacancy how a normal team would handle it. A team that has been losing for 3 years with a defensive guy would probably hire a fresh young offensive guy and let him fill his staff.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

None of the guys who have been wearing out the keyboards guaranteeing over and over again the "Marvin is going nowhere" will eat any crow.

I was wondering how long it would take for you to do this.  Turns out, about an hour.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:07 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree, our 4-3 defense is outdated. I would welcome a change to a 3-4.

That means putting a fourth slow, incompetent linebacker on the field. No thanks.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:25 PM)McC Wrote: I was wondering how long it would take for you to do this.  Turns out, about an hour.

Some prefer making up stuff to be "right" about to actually enjoying a good moment for the team we're all fans of. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

And once again, you would be wrong, as those reactions have already occurred, not only here but on social media as well.

I can honestly say I didn't expect this news today, and I'm very surprised that it actually happened.

I was prepared for Marvin to announce he was back for next season, especially given all the injuries.

I'm glad that wasn't the case. I'm also stoked to hear Mike say they would do an extensive search for the next head coach, because once I saw that Marvin was gone, I was worried that Hue would automatically become his successor.

So, props to the Bengals for finally parting ways with Marvin and I'm looking forward to seeing who they interview.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:28 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I can honestly say I didn't expect this news today, and I'm very surprised that it actually happened.

I was prepared for Marvin to announce he was back for next season, especially given all the injuries.

I'm glad that wasn't the case. I'm also stoked to hear Mike say they would do an extensive search for the next head coach, because once I saw that Marvin was gone, I was worried that Hue would automatically become his successor.

So, props to the Bengals for finally parting ways with Marvin and I'm looking forward to seeing who they interview.

Damn koolaid. I’m starting to get thirsty.

Reply/Quote

Why would they eat crow? Lewis is gone and that is a good thing... 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:28 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: And once again, you would be wrong, as those reactions have already occurred, not only here but on social media as well.

I can honestly say I didn't expect this news today, and I'm very surprised that it actually happened.

It is easy to fire someone and make them the scapegoat. So, I will give them props if the new hire turns the team around in 2019. I will have the same expectations for the new HC and his staff as I had for ML and his staff.

So, I will either give a thumbs up or thumbs down in about 12 months.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is easy to fire someone and make them the scapegoat. So, I will give them props if the new hire turns the team around in 2019. I will have the same expectations for the new HC and his staff as I had for ML and his staff.

Well, Marvin had 16 years...so I'm not sure scapegoat is the right word. 

I just hope they land a solid candidate that can breathe some new life into this team and franchise.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is easy to fire someone and make them the scapegoat. So, I will give them props if the new hire turns the team around in 2019. I will have the same expectations for the new HC and his staff as I had for ML and his staff.

Marv wasn't a scapegoat. The Head Coach plays a huge role in the success or failure of the team, so Marvin 100% deserved to be fired and tbh he got around 8 years too many. 

That said, I agree with you that the next HC needs to be held to the same standards. I won't be happy with 6-10. The goal is ALWAYS progression.
Reply/Quote

I will and I’ll be happy to do so. I’ve never been happier to eat crow inmy life.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Marv wasn't a scapegoat. The Head Coach plays a huge role in the success or failure of the team, so Marvin 100% deserved to be fired and tbh he got around 8 years too many. 

That said, I agree with you that the next HC needs to be held to the same standards. I won't be happy with 6-10. The goal is ALWAYS progression.

Keep in mind 6-10 with major and I mean major injury issues with franchise QB, one of best WR's in the NFL, TE group decimated, LB group decimated, WR group decimated.

My point is the new guy is likely to have a much better injury situation (since our was one of worst in decades of any team) so playoffs or bust. If he makes the playoffs, he meets my expectations. Anything less (unless he suffer injuries like 2018), then failed hire.

Reply/Quote