Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Make Your 2021 Early Season Predictions
I see 5-6 wins this year.

Then again I can see the Bengals going 2-15 too.

Can’t see much more than 7 wins.

Rinse, wash, repeat.

But, I do think we’ll win the NFL Draft again next year if that’s any consolation.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

(05-20-2021, 01:19 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I never take a HC firing for granted.

After going 11-5 in 2005, the team got progressively worse for 3 straight seasons, culminating with a disastrous 2008 season. We started 1-11-1. Most teams would've fired Marvin right there. Instead he wins 3 straight at the end and we use that as an excuse to bring him back.

In 2010, we lost a whopping 10 straight, despite Super Bowl level expectations. Every team but the Bengals fires Marv here as well.

2015 playoff meltdown brought Merv's playoff record to 0-7, and it was such an embarrassing loss of composure on a national stage. Again, 99% of teams fire Marv here. I'm pretty sure no coach has ever stayed in one spot as long as Marv without a playoff win.

We kept Shula around so long that he was able to set the record for "fastest to 50 losses". A record that will never be broken, unless by Taylor.

After a 7-2 record as interim coach (following Shula), Coslet went 14-37 over the next 3+ seasons, and still wasn't fired. He resigned out of embarrassment after being outscored 74-7 in the first 3 weeks. The Bengals were going to keep the guy after that. Mellow

after 2010 we did let marvin go... then brought him back due to the lockout and a new coach would not have time with the players... Then we went to the playoffs 5 straight years.  marvin did a lot without nearly the support we have seen since we hired a bad coach

Marvin wasnt on the field for those plays. he can only control so much.  Also the Refs had been screwing us that whole game.  even before that final drive.
I suck at predictions, but I pretty much agree with this:

(05-20-2021, 11:07 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: I suck at predictions, but I pretty much agree with this:

Man did that guy miss the "trash the Bengals and praise the Steelers" orders from the media mafia. 
(05-20-2021, 11:23 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Man did that guy miss the "trash the Bengals and praise the Steelers" orders from the media mafia. 

By
Pete Petemeyer

May 20, 2021 at 8:19 a.m. EDT

A longtime CBS Sports Analyst was fired Thursday for what his company described as a “idiotic take that goes against our company's core principles.”

Adam Schein, a veteran of the network shared an opinon that portrayed the Bengals in a positive light, “I'm telliing your right now, the Bengals are going to surprise some people....Cincinnati can win more games than the Pittsburgh Steelers because they have a better Quarterback

"We at CBS simply will tolerate language like this" said network executive Tim Tickle.  "Adam knew the rules when he came aboard.  This is an industry standard, and his words were an act of insubordination."  He went on to add, "It makes the whole industry look bad."

When reached for comment, Shein simply said, "I messed up.  I apologize to those I've hurt or offended."
(05-20-2021, 01:19 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I never take a HC firing for granted.

After going 11-5 in 2005, the team got progressively worse for 3 straight seasons, culminating with a disastrous 2008 season. We started 1-11-1. Most teams would've fired Marvin right there. Instead he wins 3 straight at the end and we use that as an excuse to bring him back.

In 2010, we lost a whopping 10 straight, despite Super Bowl level expectations. Every team but the Bengals fires Marv here as well.

2015 playoff meltdown brought Merv's playoff record to 0-7, and it was such an embarrassing loss of composure on a national stage. Again, 99% of teams fire Marv here. I'm pretty sure no coach has ever stayed in one spot as long as Marv without a playoff win.

We kept Shula around so long that he was able to set the record for "fastest to 50 losses". A record that will never be broken, unless by Taylor.

After a 7-2 record as interim coach (following Shula), Coslet went 14-37 over the next 3+ seasons, and still wasn't fired. He resigned out of embarrassment after being outscored 74-7 in the first 3 weeks. The Bengals were going to keep the guy after that. Mellow

Pretty crazy. Hope my prediction is correct and the light comes on for Taylor cause it sounds like even if it doesn't he could 
still be around for a few more years sucking it up with this organization. Still, I think it is different now and MB has taken a 
step back and Katie and company have taken over. Maybe they won't be as satisfied with mediocrity as the old man.
(05-20-2021, 10:28 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: after 2010 we did let marvin go... then brought him back due to the lockout and a new coach would not have time with the players... Then we went to the playoffs 5 straight years.  marvin did a lot without nearly the support we have seen since we hired a bad coach

Marvin wasnt on the field for those plays. he can only control so much.  Also the Refs had been screwing us that whole game.  even before that final drive.

But those things don't apply to our new "bad coach?""
(05-20-2021, 11:07 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: I suck at predictions, but I pretty much agree with this:

At least it isn't from ESPN, they would of fired the guy for saying this. I agree with Schein as well, it is huge that Joe will be 
ready to go and that the O-line is better than last season (pretty damn sure) and we added Chase. I don't know how good we
will be but the Offense could be great if we run the ball more. The addition of Carman really helps in the running game.

As long as Burrow isn't throwing the ball 50 times a game we could win a lot of games this year. I saw flashes from Taylor last
year calling games where it gave me some hope with him and he is young. Definitely think the Defense will be better this year
and if we can run the ball that will keep them fresh. Lou really needs to improve.

Bottom line I think the additions of Pollack and Hobby could really help out Taylor and Anarumo, which will in turn help out 
Burrow and the entire team. The trenches is where games are won.
(05-20-2021, 02:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Pleas stop with this "every other team" BS.  

There have been lots of team who did not fire their coach after a winning just 19 games over three seasons.  Especially when the "disastrous" third season was without their Pro Bowl QB.

Not every team would fire their coach for a losing record the year after we was selected "NFL Coach of the Year".

Not every team would fire their head coach after the best season they had had in 35 years just because they lost a playoff game in the last seconds with their back up QB.

So feel free to give your opinion, but stop acting like every other team in the league would agree with you.

BTW I have to point out that if you had been running the Bengals you would have fired Sam Wyche for only winning 4 games in 1987 dropping his record to 29-34 with zero playoff appearances.

Who? And you said lots so give me lots to back up your point.
(05-20-2021, 05:24 PM)GodFather Wrote: Who? And you said lots so give me lots to back up your point.

^^^This.  I would like some examples please.
(05-20-2021, 07:18 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: ^^^This.  I would like some examples please.

You two are really asking forFred to go on a stats search? Really? Cool
(05-20-2021, 05:24 PM)GodFather Wrote: Who? And you said lots so give me lots to back up your point.

(05-20-2021, 07:18 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: ^^^This.  I would like some examples please.

Jimmy Johnson 89-91 Dallas Cowboys- 19 wins.

Doesn't support his claim of "lots" but it does disprove the claim of "every"
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-20-2021, 09:34 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: You two are really asking forFred to go on a stats search? Really? Cool

Yes, strictly to support his claim of "lots of teams".  Because I know he'll need to provide examples like...

"Orville "Rickets" Rockenfield lasted 4 seasons for Cleveland Rams (1932-1935) despite a record of 9-12-3 through his first 3 seasons."... "He finished his career with a rousing 6-2 victory over the Toledo Mudflaps, and later went on to found a local hardare company with his wife Edith and his brother in-law Elmore."

That's why Coslet will always be one of my favorite HCs. He had the balls and knew when to step away. I wished soooo many times that Marv would have done that.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(05-20-2021, 10:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Jimmy Johnson 89-91 Dallas Cowboys- 19 wins.

If Zac Taylor goes 11-5 and wins a playoff game this year (Like Jimmy Johnson did in year 3) then I'm sure very few people will question whether or not he's deserving of a year 4.  

Not all about the win total, it's about showing that you're a capable coach, at least eventually.
(05-20-2021, 11:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's why Coslet will always be one of my favorite HCs. He had the balls and knew when to step away. I wished soooo many times that Marv would have done that.

Yeah... We could've had 2013's version of Zac Taylor. Who would that have been? Darrell Bevell? The Seahawks would have 2 championships if so...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(05-20-2021, 11:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If Zac Taylor goes 11-5 and wins a playoff game this year (Like Jimmy Johnson did in year 3) then I'm sure very few people will question whether or not he's deserving of a year 4.  

Not all about the win total, it's about showing that you're a capable coach, at least eventually.

Yeah, that's kinda the point. Zac actually has to win 13 games next year if we get to 19 in 3. I was just providing an example. what would havve happened in Dallas if they would have fired JJ after 2 years?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-21-2021, 11:47 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, that's kinda the point. Zac actually has to win 13 games next year if we get to 19 in 3. I was just providing an example. what would havve happened in Dallas if they would have fired JJ after 2 years?

I mean, I get it.  At least to an extent.

But we have to remember couple things specific to Jimmy Johnson.  1.) We're talking about 30+ years ago.  Coaches are given much shorter leashes nowadays.  2.)  His record through his first 2 years is terrible mainly for just his first season (1-15).  He did go 7-9 in year 2.

I'm just not sure he's a good comparison for getting a year 3 for Zac Taylor.  Of course, that really doesn't matter now.  Zac got it and we need to hope for the best.  If he goes 11-5 and wins a playoff game you'll hear no complaints from me.
More than an X amount of wins, more than which teams we beat, more than X Y and Z stats.

I want to see a team that looks like they belong on an NFL field. I want to see a team that can sustain drives. A team that can score in the red zone. A team that can convert 3rd a 2 running the ball. A defense that doesn't give up 7 3rd and 10's a game. A defense that doesn't get gashed for 175 rushing a game.

I want to see a team that you don't know deep inside even though we're up 24-6 late in the 3rd, the implosion is coming.
(05-21-2021, 01:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: More than an X amount of wins, more than which teams we beat, more than X Y and Z stats.

I want to see a team that looks like they belong on an NFL field. I want to see a team that can sustain drives. A team that can score in the red zone. A team that can convert 3rd a 2 running the ball. A defense that doesn't give up 7 3rd and 10's a game. A defense that doesn't get gashed for 175 rushing a game.

I want to see a team that you don't know deep inside even though we're up 24-6 late in the 3rd, the implosion is coming.

Damn rights brother, it is more than about just winning but this type of stuff leads to lots of wins.