• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malik Jefferson, any chance?
All these young, cheap but useless LBs..what to do,what to do
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Evans is garbage ready to move on

Nickerson should be in real estate or serving fries

Jefferson couldn’t even get onto the field with those two in front of him. That’s pretty sad. I’ll give him one more year. We need at least two more lbs in the next draft.
Reply/Quote
I do find it incredibly frustrating that they spent a 3rd round pick on a player that is not even being talked about less than a year later. At our worst defensive position, no less.

How is that possible?

For all our sakes, I hope Jefferson comes into camp and proves he was worth that 3rd round pick.

When you have a team that is very inactive in free agency (outside of re-signing their own sometimes and signing special teamers and fringe starters on occasion), you need to land those top picks and the fact that we've wasted a a first and second round pick in 2015, a top 10 pick in 2017 and a 3rd round pick in 2018 on players that couldn't/can't even make it on the field, let alone win a starting role, is devastating to the future of this franchise.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 01:56 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Evans is garbage ready to move on

Jefferson couldn’t even get onto the field with those two in front of him. That’s pretty sad. I’ll give him one more year. We need at least two more lbs in the next draft.

This is where my concern has been. Nickerson and Evans were terrible. I mean, just flat out awful and Jefferson still couldn’t see much game time. Either he is truly that bad, or it was a coaching staff issue.

I lean towards the former. If a player is good, the former coaching staff would find ways to play them, just not as much as we all would like to see.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 01:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Never write off a player after his rookie season.

Not saying he will amount to anything.  Just saying too early to say he won't.

True that.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 09:36 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: This is where my concern has been. Nickerson and Evans were terrible. I mean, just flat out awful and Jefferson still couldn’t see much game time. Either he is truly that bad, or it was a coaching staff issue.

I lean towards the former. If a player is good, the former coaching staff would find ways to play them, just not as much as we all would like to see.

No he wasn't.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 12:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No he wasn't.

I think you watch different games than us. He’s was terrible all year. PFF n my own eyes agree with this.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 01:56 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Evans is garbage ready to move on

Jefferson couldn’t even get onto the field with those two in front of him.   That’s pretty sad.   I’ll give him one more year.   We need at least two more lbs in the next draft.

Evans was a 6th round pick. You seem to be acting as if he's a 1st rounder.
He's a project and has shown a high upside. Still needs more work on consistency.

Malik Jefferson was a third rounder and at one point projected as a possible 1st rounder. He is still raw and needs refinement.

I think both of these guys are going to be just fine, need to be seriously coached up and get that experience.
Reply/Quote
I didn't think the Bengals would be dumb enough to not at least add one decent LB to the mix in FA but I guess that was too much to expect. We definitely need Jefferson to at least become a player we can rely on for a couple of games when/if injuries happen. As everyone has said, he has all the tools. I don't think Haslett was the guy to coach him up. Coaching seems to always be the scapegoat around here so let's see what the new guy can do. I like Evans too. He was a pretty stout run defender in 2017 and has had some splash plays in coverage. He's also had some really bad games like one against the Saints.

A high draft pick, healthy Preston Brown, Vigil, along with Evans and Jefferson showing some growth, and maybe that's a solid LB corps? If the rookie is ok at best, Brown is nicked up again, Vigil is meh at best and Evans and Jefferson both struggle again in 2019? we're the worst defense in the league again.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 01:10 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: I didn't think the Bengals would be dumb enough to not at least add one decent LB to the mix in FA but I guess that was too much to expect. We definitely need Jefferson to at least become a player we can rely on for a couple of games when/if injuries happen. As everyone has said, he has all the tools. I don't think Haslett was the guy to coach him up. Coaching seems to always be the scapegoat around here so let's see what the new guy can do. I like Evans too. He was a pretty stout run defender in 2017 and has had some splash plays in coverage. He's also had some really bad games like one against the Saints.

A high draft pick, healthy Preston Brown, Vigil, along with Evans and Jefferson showing some growth, and maybe that's a solid LB corps? If the rookie is ok at best, Brown is nicked up again, Vigil is meh at best and Evans and Jefferson both struggle again in 2019? we're the worst defense in the league again.

We did add 1 decent LB in FA, Preston Brown.... Funny how you go from 1 sentence, everyone healthy it's a solid core and the next sentence, if everyone is injured again, then we are the worst.... Sounds like 31 other teams.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 01:56 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Evans is garbage ready to move on

Jefferson couldn’t even get onto the field with those two in front of him.   That’s pretty sad.   I’ll give him one more year.   We need at least two more lbs in the next draft.

Yep.  Exactly.  And the only way I recognize Preston Brown is from behind as runs down the field chasing the other teams players. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 02:00 PM)sandwedge Wrote: We did add 1 decent LB in FA, Preston Brown.... Funny how you go from 1 sentence, everyone healthy it's a solid core and the next sentence, if everyone is injured again, then we are the worst.... Sounds like 31 other teams.

Because it'd be typical Bengals to rely on a rookie and average at best linebacker to solve all of their problems. Just like how they sold us that Frank Pollack was going to turn Fisher and Ogbuehi into starters. Yeah, if everything in my original post comes true, the LB core might be formidable. Malik Jefferson could be an all-pro for all we know. If it doesn't then what would be their excuse as to why they didn't have alternatives or actually went out and upgraded? 

I don't hate Preston Brown by any means, and I'm not one of the fans advocating that they should bring in Zach Brown (unless it's on a really cheap deal). I'm just not a fan of the approach. It's like they think every player on the current roster is a pro bowler and that coaching and better luck with injuries is going to make a huge difference.
Reply/Quote
We had the worst linebacking group last year n bringing everyone back and we expect them to be just fine. Fml. Yep sounds about right.
Reply/Quote
It seems the Jets are shopping Darron Lee...but Lee does have that "drag tackler" "soft" labels.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 03:33 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We had the worst linebacking group last year n bringing everyone back and we expect them to be just fine.  Fml.  Yep sounds about right.

Who should they have brought in that they didn't?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 03:22 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: Because it'd be typical Bengals to rely on a rookie and average at best linebacker to solve all of their problems. Just like how they sold us that Frank Pollack was going to turn Fisher and Ogbuehi into starters.

Except that never happened.  We traded for Glen and signed Hart.  The Bengals never said Ogbuehi and Fisher would be starting.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 03:33 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We had the worst linebacking group last year n bringing everyone back and we expect them to be just fine.  Fml.  Yep sounds about right.

You don't have a clue what is going on.

I'll make sig bet that we draft a LB to play immediately.  You willing to do that?
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 05:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It was 11 total defensive snaps. ELEVEN!

As bad as the LBs were last year and he only got in for ELEVEN snaps then that should tell you about his NFL skill level.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 04:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't have a clue what is going on.

I'll make sig bet that we draft a LB to play immediately.  You willing to do that?

I have a clue we still suck as the linebacking unit. So your saying we are drafting a linebacker n immediately relying on him to start the year ? You better cross your fingers Bush n White are still on the board at #11 tuff guy.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 06:32 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I have a clue we still suck as the linebacking unit.  So your saying we are drafting a linebacker n immediately relying on him to start the year ? You better cross your fingers Bush n White are still on the board at #11 tuff guy.

So does that mean you are taking my sig bet?  

I mean if you are going to ***** so much about the Bengals not bringing in any new LBs you should be willing to take my bet, right?
Reply/Quote