Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man using strips in front of girls
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/03/15/barber-refuses-to-cut-transgender-army-veterans-hair-citing-the-bible/?client=safari#

I think this guy is in a weird spot here he says he is both man and woman. So he seems to go with whatever benefits him at the time. Now why on earth does he try to keep coming back and get this guy to cut his hair? This seems like the dumbest thing to go see an attorney. Unless this guy is the greatest barber in the history of the world. Dude has allowed his pronoun/gender game to get out of control.

The guy is interesting.

Quote:Kendall Oliver’s hair looked just like that of the man who was comfortably seated in the next chair over at the barbershop. Closely trimmed on the sides, a little longer on top — and ready for a trim.

Oliver asked for the same cut. Yet the owner of the barbershop turned Oliver away — telling Oliver, an Army veteran, that he won’t cut women’s hair because he believes the Bible forbids it.

Oliver is transgender. And with that, the Army reservist in the Los Angeles area became the latest citizen at the center of a recurring American debate: Where does freedom of religion end and discrimination begin?

The debate has swept up a pizza shop in Indiana, photographers in New Mexico, a baker in Colorado — and, most recently, the Missouri Senate.

After six years serving in the Army as a woman, including a tour in Afghanistan, Oliver began identifying as genderqueer and switched to the pronoun “they” rather than “her” or “him.”

Oliver identifies mostly as male. The Army reservist wears masculine clothing. And then there’s the haircut — always short, ever since high school.

But when Oliver, 24, made an appointment at a new barbershop in Rancho Cucomonga, Calif., a week ago, the first thing they saw was a woman with half her hair long and half her head shaved, asking for a trim.

Oliver saw the owner turn the woman away. Oliver said the owner told the woman that the shop doesn’t cut women’s hair. But Oliver still thought keeping their own appointment wouldn’t be a problem. After all, the veteran doesn’t have long hair — and doesn’t identify as a woman.

“He said, ‘We only do men’s haircuts,’ ” Oliver said. “I said, ‘I’m here for a men’s haircut, just like you’re doing on the gentleman in the chair there.’ ”

Other customers were watching the encounter, Oliver said, and Oliver left the store with cheeks burning from embarrassment. After thinking it over, Oliver decided to try again. “I called back to try to talk to him and explain that I identify more male than female. He said, ‘It doesn’t matter, ma’am. We don’t cut any type of women’s hair.’ ”

Staff at The Barbershop in Rancho Cucomonga declined to comment on Monday, and the owner, Richard Hernandez, could not be reached on his personal phone.

But he told CBS News in Los Angeles that his religion forbids cutting women’s hair. “The Bible teaches us that a woman’s hair is given to her for her glory, and I would not want to take away any of her glory from her.”

Hernandez told CBS that he is Christian, but did not specify whether he belongs to one of the few small denominations that tell women never to cut their hair. The Bible includes several stories such as that of Samson, whose strength came from his uncut hair. But this particular idea comes from Chapter 11 of First Corinthians, which also seems to repeat several times that men are superior to women, and women are meant to gratify men. “Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair, it is degrading to him, but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering,” the verses say.

Peter Renn, a lawyer at LGBT rights organization Lambda Legal, is talking to Oliver about the incident and may pursue legal action. He said that California law that prevents discrimination on the basis of gender or gender identity should have compelled Hernandez or one of his employees to cut Oliver’s hair.

If the shop offers a service — in this case, the haircut that the other person with Oliver’s hairstyle was getting that day — then it must offer that same service to any person, Renn said.

“Religion can’t and shouldn’t be used as a shield for discriminatory business practices,” he added.

But Hernandez told CBS that he thinks the constitutional guarantee of freedom of religion protects his right not cut Oliver’s hair.

“It’s not our intention at all to discriminate against anyone based on their sexual orientation, based on their gender or any such thing like that,” he said. “I value the Constitution that we have in this country and hope that it upholds for me as well as others.”

The dispute seems bound for a fight in court — despite the warning offered by the very next verse in First Corinthians, right after the one about hairstyles. It reads, “But if anyone is disposed to be contentious — we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.”
*(Y(&(Y_U_Y(()(*^^& It got moved on me.

As I tried to say before it moved. If he cited that his barber shop is for men only to get haircuts, then I might be able to stick up for him, but he used religion and to me that's usually a bunch of nonsense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Hey if you are gonna move all ______ threads to here at least change the original title . Man strips in front of girls is almost like your hiding it.
(03-16-2016, 11:41 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: *(Y(&(Y_U_Y(()(*^^& It got moved on me.

As I tried to say before it moved. If he cited that his barber shop is for men only to get haircuts, then I might be able to stick up for him, but he used religion and to me that's usually a bunch of nonsense.

Isn't a barber shop for men only?   Women go to salons and men go to barber shops.  
(03-17-2016, 12:05 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Isn't a barber shop for men only?   Women go to salons and men go to barber shops.  

PRINT {Target Joke} EXC
(03-17-2016, 12:17 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: PRINT {Target Joke} EXC
Women and mens hair are not the same. 
The texture and flow are different. That is why i said i could support him if he didn't cite religion as his reason. If he's never been trained in cutting women's hair, then he has a valid reason. It's the same for black people (men and women) as well. 

His best response should've been something along the lines of "I'm sorry, but i am not trained on how to cut a woman's hair." 

Saying it like that would make it almost impossible to try to take any legal action against him.
(03-17-2016, 12:55 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I figured your wife cuts your hair at home. 

What does it matter if she does? 

Most women from other countries prefer to cut their mans hair because it is an itimate moment for them and it saves money.
(03-17-2016, 01:28 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What does it matter if she does? 

Most women from other countries prefer to cut their mans hair because it is an itimate moment for them and it saves money.

Easy there buddy. Just joshing around with the guy. Christ, emotions are running high around here. 
(03-17-2016, 12:05 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Isn't a barber shop for men only?   Women go to salons and men go to barber shops.  

I go to a salon.  Been going to the same one since I was 16 (give or take a few years during college and right after I got married.)

I haven't been inside a "barber shop" since I was 5 or 6.

And I'll probably continue going to one since my daughter will be working there in a few months. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I would like to commend the people here who are capable of having a conversation about a class of people they do not necessarily agree with without resorting to juvenile name calling of those people. It helps keep this sub-forum civil and a good place to really discuss and debate issues.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-17-2016, 12:04 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Hey if you are gonna move all ______ threads to here at least change the original title .  Man strips in front of girls is almost like your hiding it.

I agree with this 100%.