Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Margus Hunt Weighs 300lbs
(05-03-2016, 09:18 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not sure how weighing more will make him faster and able to bend more....  

Maybe a role change.  

Also maybe the lack of developing Hunt and others is what got Hayes moved on to Tampa....

Weighing more can only increase his ability to power through the blocks of bigger NFL OLmen.  As for being able to bend better?  Olympic style lifting develops incredible mobility and flexibility in the hips, knees, and ankles.  One lift in particular, the Oly style clean and jerk, can develop tremendous explosive power needed to knock an NFL OT off balance, and let speed take over from there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 05:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Weighing more can only increase his ability to power through the blocks of bigger NFL OLmen.  As for being able to bend better?  Olympic style lifting develops incredible mobility and flexibility in the hips, knees, and ankles.  One lift in particular, the Oly style clean and jerk, can develop tremendous explosive power needed to knock an NFL OT off balance, and let speed take over from there.

Well hopefully Hunt puts all the work in and sees great results once the season comes around.

I wish him the best, but if he can't get it done this season its probably time to let him go. 

It's a shame too, I hate seeing a 2nd round pick go to waste. 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 05:34 PM)magikod Wrote: Well hopefully Hunt puts all the work in and sees great results once the season comes around.

I wish him the best, but if he can't get it done this season its probably time to let him go. 

It's a shame too, I hate seeing a 2nd round pick go to waste. 

Sadly enough, I think that another poster said it best, when they were talking about him not getting enough reps.  Hunt is incredibly better than most of the garbage time guys that he faces in preseason, yet not quite ready for NFL primetime.  I'm really surprised that he wasn't given a shot at OL in college.  Oly throwers and lifters are master technicians, as well as masters of transferring their body weight and strength into power.  As an amazing physical talent as he is, he just may never get enough reps to master the fine nuances that it takes to fully understand the game of football.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Hunt has always been a physical specimen. He's probably more of one now, ok.

But he's always charged hard and gotten o-linemen to backpedal. His problem is that he has never gotten the knack, or the urgency of finding the guy with the ball and putting him on the ground. It is the object of the defensive game, but he seems to think if he is overpowering some other lineman, that he is winning.

During a rush, he'll get close enough that with a sudden, big effort sort of move, he could have the quarterback in his clutches, but that move just rarely comes.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 06:36 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: Hunt has always been a physical specimen. He's probably more of one now, ok.

But he's always charged hard and gotten o-linemen to backpedal.  His problem is that he has never gotten the knack, or the urgency of finding the guy with the ball and putting him on the ground.  It is the object of the defensive game, but he seems to think if he is overpowering some other lineman, that he is winning.

During a rush, he'll get close enough that with a sudden, big effort sort of move, he could have the quarterback in his clutches, but that move just rarely comes.

So, why not run a delayed blitz, right behind him?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Here's a Hobson piece on Hunt published today about Hunt getting some extra 'coaching' from Kevin Greene.
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hunt-seeks-Greenes-pastures/b15049f1-4ce2-46d2-b9e0-3dcbc40c7121
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 07:13 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Here's a Hobson piece on Hunt published today about Hunt getting some extra 'coaching' from Kevin Greene.
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hunt-seeks-Greenes-pastures/b15049f1-4ce2-46d2-b9e0-3dcbc40c7121

Just read that. Sounds like the departed Hayes didn't do Margus many favors. Maybe it clicks for him this year and he puts at least 16 right tackles and 18-32 opposing QBs in the hospital. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 07:18 PM)Shady Wrote: Just read that. Sounds like the departed Hayes didn't do Margus many favors. Maybe it clicks for him this year and he puts at least 16 right tackles and 18-32 opposing QBs in the hospital. 

Better late than never, and getting technique tips from Kevin Greene has to be among the best he could get. If Greene's evaluation of Hunt is correct, and Hunt implements these tips, this defense will be noticeably improved.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 07:18 PM)Shady Wrote: Just read that. Sounds like the departed Hayes didn't do Margus many favors. Maybe it clicks for him this year and he puts at least 16 right tackles and 18-32 opposing QBs in the hospital. 

The more time passes the more I wonder if Hayes wasn't just fired for jot developing hunt.   They had Margus as a 1st round grade.  I bet marvin told Hayes and the safeties coach to beat it and bring in some technicians in Coyle and burney.  

I do think marvin got Hayes hired in Tampa so he had a soft landing.    
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 07:29 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Better late than never, and getting technique tips from Kevin Green has to be among the best he could get. If Green's evaluation of Hunt is correct, and Hunt implements these tips, this defense will be noticeably improved.

If hunt can give us 6 sacks this year this defense will be sick.   
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 09:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Speed has never been Hunt's problem, it's uncanny how a man that big can move that fast. I'm glad he's doing what he knows works for him, it'll perhaps give him some confidence, which I think has been his main problem. If he just goes into pre season throwing people around like rag dolls, hopefully he can carry that into the regular season and become a force in the DL rotation....

This is my hope, i liked the pick a lot at the time but Hunt has been massively disappointing in my eyes.

Never a bad thing to change it up and like you said, speed has never been Hunt's problem, it is the mental
aspect and fact he cannot bend and get under OT's. Dunlap can and he is only a couple inches shorter than
him, he needs to really watch Carlos and MJ.

Also, i must add that if Hunt does improve immensely it could put this team over the top. The only problem
i had with the draft was us not getting a pass rusher cause of Hunt and Clarke being disappointments so far.
Reply/Quote
As many others have talked about Hunt's problem isn't size or strength. It's his lack of "football IQ" ! Truly understanding what's going on and what he needs to do. You can see it when he wins on a given play, he isn't sure what to do next.
Reply/Quote
Just to let everyone know, if they hadn't figured it out by now, he was a Zimmer pick and Zimmer's choice 100% and we got stuck with him.

Proof? He got Moritz.

We should've tried to dump him on Minnesota, if his leash is short.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Right tackles? I would just settle for normal tackles. Dude had 1 solo tackle last year. 7 in his 3 year career.

(05-03-2016, 07:31 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If hunt can give us 6 sacks this year this defense will be sick.   

6 would be 4 times more than his 3 year career total of 1.5... not sure I would bank on that happening.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 09:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Right tackles? I would just settle for normal tackles. Dude had 1 solo tackle last year. 7 in his 3 year career.

6 would be 4 times more than his 3 year career total of 1.5... not sure I would bank on that happening.

Just takes a groove.  Plus he will never see a double team.   Like I said I bet Butney is partially here for him.   
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 07:13 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Here's a Hobson piece on Hunt published today about Hunt getting some extra 'coaching' from Kevin Greene.

So Hobson's already fluffing him up. I will say this, the fact that they let Gilberry go and didn't address DE in the draft shows me that the coaches must have some faith in Hunt. Not that they haven't been wrong before.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 09:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So Hobson's already fluffing him up. I will say this, the fact that they let Gilberry go and didn't address DE in the draft shows me that the coaches must have some faith in Hunt. Not that they haven't been wrong before.

Don't know it's so much faith in Hunt, as I think it's more they're expecting Hardison to take over Gilberry's role (and Gilberry's production really dropped off).

They brought back everyone but Gilberry, and drafted Billings. So they're still at a (probably) too full DL of 10 people anyway. No space for another DE unless they're on the PS.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Half of America weighs 300 lbs.
Reply/Quote
Who cares? He's not making the team.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
Contract year must.. try.. harder.

Reply/Quote