Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Margus Hunt Weighs 300lbs
He is a 3/4 de. Hard to believe he once ran a 4.6 at the combine. Also benched 38 reps. His strength shows up on the field but the speed doesn't.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 11:04 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Or learn some pass rush moves other than a bull rush. I know this is an exaggeration, but he doesn't seem to consistently win with any other pass rush move.

This... he needs to work on his hands.
Perhaps some martial arts training would give him some quicker technique ?
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 01:11 PM)Goalpost Wrote: He is a 3/4 de.  

This.
Reply/Quote
Hand fighting is definitely something in need of improvement.

The main thing holding him back is the lack of getting to the play and not getting locked up in single man domination.

In other words... make your opponent a turnstile and not a crumpled mess on the ground.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
People on here called it, I think we have a similar case to Justin Smith (though a lot more raw I realise). Hunt would be great as a 3-4 end.

Reply/Quote
Can someone explain exactly what Hunt's shortfalls are? Does he just get blocked easily, or what is it?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Have him pack on 30 more pounds and move him to DT. He won't have to learn any technique, just fall forward. We can make it a fan thing. Every snap the fans cheer "TIIIIIIIMBERRRRRRRR" and Hunt just falls and flails. Have the Timber Cam, zoom in on interior linemen faces as they disappear under the blanket of muscles and tiger stripes.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 01:11 PM)Goalpost Wrote: He is a 3/4 de. Hard to believe he once ran a 4.6 at the combine. Also benched 38 reps. His strength shows up on the field but the speed doesn't.

lol the difference in resistance of air and 300lb OL guys
Reply/Quote
It sure is nice to have a grizzled old vet like Hunt around to help out younger guys like Atkins and Dunlap. Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 02:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Can someone explain exactly what Hunt's shortfalls are?  Does he just get blocked easily, or what is it?

Part of it might be mental, I dunno. He had an ankle injury his first couple seasons and I think that was one of the biggest things. He wants to just overpower guys, but — with an ankle injury — I don't think he could ever get his footwork right. That, combined with having no handwork, meant he would get pushed off by guys he should have just killed. So runners would get by him and he would spend too much time on blockers to have any impact on passing downs.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 02:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Can someone explain exactly what Hunt's shortfalls are?  Does he just get blocked easily, or what is it?

Here is mt opinion.  He lacks technique.  There is a lot more technique to playing DE than a lot of people think.  and I am not talking about swat or swim moves.  There is a lot of stuff even more basic than that. Hand placement.  Balance.  Leverage. 

And there is also what I call a "feel for the game".  Like being able to feel the difference between "beating your man to the outside" and "opening a hole in the pocket for the QB to escape"
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 02:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is mt opinion.  He lacks technique.  There is a lot more technique to playing DE than a lot of people think.  and I am not talking about swat or swim moves.  There is a lot of stuff even more basic than that. Hand placement.  Balance.  Leverage. 

And there is also what I call a "feel for the game".  Like being able to feel the difference between "beating your man to the outside" and "opening a hole in the pocket for the QB to escape"

So like when they talk about Bosa's incredible use of his hands to keep the blocker's hands off him, that's something Hunt does not have.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

Ankle injury year before last, back injury last year. Hopefully, he breaks out this year
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 02:31 PM)Benton Wrote: Part of it might be mental, I dunno. He had an ankle injury his first couple seasons and I think that was one of the biggest things. He wants to just overpower guys, but — with an ankle injury — I don't think he could ever get his footwork right. That, combined with having no handwork, meant he would get pushed off by guys he should have just killed. So runners would get by him and he would spend too much time on blockers to have any impact on passing downs.

I've always thought that in college, because he played in Conference USA and rarely went up against NFL level talent, that he was able to use pure physicality to over power and opponent.  Once he got to the NFL, he could no longer do that.  Add in the fact that he did not have much football background and it has just been too much for him.  I would love to be proven wrong, but it is doubtful.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 02:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Can someone explain exactly what Hunt's shortfalls are? Does he just get blocked easily, or what is it?

Lack of opportunity. He has played 407 snaps on defense. In three years. Less than half the snap MJ and Dunlap play in a year.

His football instincts are not good. He would get better with live snaps. He hasnt gotten them. I have seen coaches complain it is hard to develop guys with the new practice restrictions. A guy who needs to learn the physical side doesnt get the live game reps and is hindered by limited practices.
Reply/Quote
Seems like he's hoping to get on the roster as the DT/DE guy.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 03:11 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I've always thought that in college, because he played in Conference USA and rarely went up against NFL level talent, that he was able to use pure physicality to over power and opponent.  Once he got to the NFL, he could no longer do that.  Add in the fact that he did not have much football background and it has just been too much for him.  I would love to be proven wrong, but it is doubtful.

Could be. Kind of goes back to the hand/foot work. He never had to learn it, he could just come in swinging. He used to be bigger and stronger than guys he went up against, and they didn't know how to fend off the giant. Now, you've got guys a few inches shorter and a few pounds less than him that can push him off long enough for a back to get around or the QB to drop back.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 01:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Yea, it seems to be what the Bengals target for their 4-3 DEs...guys who probably should play 3-4 DE. The Bengals needs some depth DEs with more bend and speed around the edge and a little less stiff power bull rush.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 04:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea, it seems to be what the Bengals target for their 4-3 DEs...guys who probably should play 3-4 DE. The Bengals needs some depth DEs with more bend and speed around the edge and a little less stiff power bull rush.

A lot of teams are doing that now. You're starting to see teams run more hybrid looks instead of pure 4-3 or 3-4. The Seahawks tend to do the same thing. They like 3-4 DL even though their base is 4-3.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 04:46 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: A lot of teams are doing that now. You're starting to see teams run more hybrid looks instead of pure 4-3 or 3-4. The Seahawks tend to do the same thing. They like 3-4 DL even though their base is 4-3.

Except the teams that are doing it like the Seahawks have LBs that can rush the passer...the Bengals do not. So it's falling all on the shoulders of the DL to produce a pass rush for the Bengals.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote