Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Margus Hunt Weighs 300lbs
(05-03-2016, 09:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So Hobson's already fluffing him up. I will say this, the fact that they let Gilberry go and didn't address DE in the draft shows me that the coaches must have some faith in Hunt. Not that they haven't been wrong before.

The article was very enlightening. I do find it hard to believe the coaching staff has let this guy go so uncoached for 3 years. I guess we're going to find out in a couple of months.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
CincyJungle posted this article about the things Hunt's doing to improve, including doing the workouts that the Bengals give him, but also going back to things that made him a successful Junior Olympian.

He's going back to things that helped him bulk-up when he was in Junior Olympic-training, and he says that it's helping him, which will (supposedly) help him get past offensive linemen, and then his raw natural ability should take over.

I know we've all been hoping this guy would bust out, and I'm not saying he'll set records or anything, especially without seeing it in action yet, but this new style and new routines has me confident that he can wreak some havoc this season, and it would really cover for us not drafting an end.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 07:13 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Here's a Hobson piece on Hunt published today about Hunt getting some extra 'coaching' from Kevin Greene.
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hunt-seeks-Greenes-pastures/b15049f1-4ce2-46d2-b9e0-3dcbc40c7121

So now linemen should be coached and play like linebackers?  Green had the ability to make plays as a linebacker in a 3-4.  Isn't Marcus basically playing 1 gap in a 4-3 as a Lineman?  Oddly enough - the Justin Smith reference was spot on when he moved to frisco in a 3-4.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 11:54 PM)tlotharw Wrote: Half of America weighs 300 lbs.

Yeah, but they are not <10% body fat.... Cool

I think Hunt is going to have his breakout year. He has to, I bought his jersey. If Greene can simplify things for him, great. The less Margus has to think about what he is doing and can just go out and overpower his opponents the better he will be...
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2016, 08:52 AM)BengalD Wrote: So now linemen should be coached and play like linebackers?  Green had the ability to make plays as a linebacker in a 3-4.  Isn't Marcus basically playing 1 gap in a 4-3 as a Lineman?  Oddly enough - the Justin Smith reference was spot on when he moved to frisco in a 3-4.

May be wrong, but Hunt worked on pass rush skills and how to get sacks which has little to do with LB play
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2016, 09:40 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: May be wrong, but Hunt worked on pass rush skills and how to get sacks which has little to do with LB play

You're not wrong - that is the takeaway from working with Kevin Greene. A few 'secret tips' and encouraging Hunt to simplify his approach should go a long way in boosting his confidence, and improve his effort in finishing plays. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 11:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't know it's so much faith in Hunt, as I think it's more they're expecting Hardison to take over Gilberry's role (and Gilberry's production really dropped off).

They brought back everyone but Gilberry, and drafted Billings. So they're still at a (probably) too full DL of 10 people anyway. No space for another DE unless they're on the PS.

Is this really the plan or are you speculating? I really think they should just leave Hardison as our backup 3 tech and let him focus on that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
When I watch Margus, he looks to me that he is keeping everything at arms length, reacting and following.

He hasn't figured out the phyical rip through violence part of the game.

It's a violent game , he should be out there ripping through and trucking people.

It's like he is thinking to much.

It's simple:

1 Get by the fat arse in front of you, by any means necessary.

2 Find the ball.

3 Knock the sh$t out of whoever has it.

4 Tell them to eat sh$t.

5 Get up. (as your getting up fart on them if you can)

6 Go back to your side of the ball.

7 Do it again.

There you go. Who Dey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2016, 02:29 PM)tigerseye Wrote: When I watch Margus, he looks to me that he is keeping everything at arms length, reacting and following.

He hasn't figured out the phyical rip through violence part of the game.

It's a violent game , he should be out there ripping through and trucking people.

It's like he is thinking to much.

It's simple:

1 Get by the fat arse in front of you, by any means necessary.

2 Find the ball.

3 Knock the sh$t out of whoever has it.

4 Tell them to eat sh$t.

5 Get up. (as your getting up fart on them if you can)

6 Go back to your side of the ball.

7 Do it again.

There you go. Who Dey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah he didnt have much football experience so the game slowing down for him is probly taking longer especially since he hasnt been on the field all that much
Reply/Quote
Have him return punts and kicks - with his size and strength it would be interesting...
Reply/Quote
Hunt will make his money on special teams. Maybe they'll move him inside on passing downs. He can set an edge. I have concerns about our DE depth.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Apparently Hunt had been working with HoFer Kevin Greene this offseason
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2016, 04:04 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Apparently Hunt had been working with HoFer Kevin Greene this offseason

Not too surprising, seeing how Marv coached Greene in Pittsburgh. We've also had Rod Woodson help out in the past.

I wonder what Greg Lloyd is up to these days?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Dalton took 4 years to break out. This is Hunt's break out year. He knows what's up.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2016, 01:02 PM)Beaker Wrote: Dalton took 4 years to break out. This is Hunt's break out year. He knows what's up.

You forgot your ninja.

Otherwise... there's a bit of a difference between going from a good to a great player (Dalton), and going from a nonfactor bust to a good player.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2016, 12:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wonder what Greg Lloyd is up to these days?

Greg Lloyd was a bad, bad man.

He is probably 50 and still kicking asses.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2016, 01:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Greg Lloyd was a bad, bad man.

He is probably 50 and still kicking asses.

Even though I hated the Steelers - even back then - I admired Lloyd as a player. He and Derrick Thomas were the best LBs of the 90's.

Different styles, but both dominant.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2016, 02:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Even though I hated the Steelers - even back then - I admired Lloyd as a player. He and Derrick Thomas were the best LBs of the 90's.

Those too are on my respected list.

Just pure great dominant players.

I really loved watching Thomas play. 

May he rest in peace.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2016, 02:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Even though I hated the Steelers - even back then - I admired Lloyd as a player. He and Derrick Thomas were the best LBs of the 90's.

(05-07-2016, 07:15 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Those too are on my respected list.

Just pure great dominant players.

I really loved watching Thomas play. 

May he rest in peace.

Thomas was one of my favorite players of that era. 

I sure hope Hunt can finally make some kind of contribution, but I have serious doubts
Reply/Quote
Soooo how does this help him be a better football player? He was already strong as hell. Now he's slower.....sweet

Hope he's been learning technique this offseason and not just beefing up

That seems like such a muscle head solution to problems too lol

"I'm not good at NFL so I must beef up"
-Housh
Reply/Quote