Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvel/DC movies
Wikipedia keeps a list of each movie these companies make, and dating back to 2000, they've made a whopping 79 movies combined. Almost 4 comic book movies per year.

Anyone else as sick of it as I am?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 12:47 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wikipedia keeps a list of each movie these companies make, and dating back to 2000, they've made a whopping 79 movies combined. Almost 4 comic book movies per year.

Anyone else as sick of it as I am?

ive been over it for a long time lol.....   

I have liked some of the DC movies.

Just sitting and waiting for Disney to Do this to Alien franchise. and hoping it will be okay at least
Reply/Quote
I saw Spider-man no way home on opening night. Pretty solid
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The more recent ones have been terrible. Aquaman sucked. Wonderwoman was decent but the follow up was probably one of the worst films I’ve seen in recent years. And I LOVE Gal Gadot, Suicide Squad (either cut) sucked. The BatAffleck movies were meh. Henry Cavill plays a decent Man of Steel but that’s about it for Justice League films. I fell asleep trying to make it through Joker.

As to Marvel, I haven’t enjoyed one since End Game. Movies OR series.

I do want to check out that new Batman. It looks dark and foreboding.
Reply/Quote
It's like any other genre. Some are really good, some are ok, and some stink.

But I don't lump it all together. I mean, Dredd was a comic book movie, so was Deadpool. Neither were like the Avengers. And that's kind of the thing, there's a big variety.
Reply/Quote
As someone who grew up reading lots of comics, it's impossible for me not to lump them together. Yeah they're all "different", but in the end it's about a hero or team of heroes trying to overcome an enemy.

I've liked some of them, I'm sure we all have...but it kinda feels like it's taken over the movie scene for 20 years now. Some genres have nearly disappeared (looking at you, comedy), and it doesn't seem like there's nearly as many original ideas.

Just feel like it long ago reached the point of overkill. Kinda like the Fast and Furious series, but an entire genre.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 12:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: ive been over it for a long time lol.....   

I have liked some of the DC movies.

Just sitting and waiting for Disney to Do this to Alien franchise. and hoping it will be okay at least

I should've pointed this out in OP, but DC hasn't made nearly as many movies (20) as Marvel (69) over this time frame.

That said, they've always been consistently making movies since the 70s, starting with the Christopher Reeves Super Man movies, and lots of Batman movies in the 80s and 90s.

If Disney thinks they can make money off of the Alien franchise, I'm sure they'll milk it to death, too. LOL
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 05:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As someone who grew up reading lots of comics, it's impossible for me not to lump them together. Yeah they're all "different", but in the end it's about a hero or team of heroes trying to overcome an enemy.

I've liked some of them, I'm sure we all have...but it kinda feels like it's taken over the movie scene for 20 years now. Some genres have nearly disappeared (looking at you, comedy), and it doesn't seem like there's nearly as many original ideas.

Just feel like it long ago reached the point of overkill. Kinda like the Fast and Furious series, but an entire genre.

Seth Rogen killed comedies. 

Studios loved it when you could spend a few hundred thousand and, even if it flopped, make millions. You didnt need sets or decent actors, just one good shock and lots of jokes about drugs or dicks.
Reply/Quote
It sure seems like the number would have been a lot higher than 4 per year between both DC and Marvel. Feels like nowadays Marvel is at least good for 3 or 4 a year.

The excitement has certainly waned on my part. While a lot of these films are fun to consume, retrospectively most of them are just kind of garbage cinema. Even thinking back on the latest Spiderman I just catch myself realizing that it was two and a half hours of absolutely nothing. I've defended the movies in the past, as sometimes a mindless 2.5 hours of ridiculous set pieces, one liners and some physical comedy are what you want, but for me it is starting to get old. But for every one of me that "ages out" of being interested in it there's probably a bunch of kids ready to fill my shoes as the consumer.
Reply/Quote
I have watched:

- ASM
- ASM 2
- Dark Knight (because my wife is a massive Heath ledger fan and I am now as well, though not due to this film)
- DKR (was dragged to it)

And that's it.

Each one follows the Summer Blockbuster formula and it seems like only NA pays any big money on these films (just my observation; it may be wrong), whereas some real thought-process/deep plot films aren't as big and popular as a result.

I mean, Silence is an absolute masterpiece (and I despise Scorsese, as every film is a borderline rehash of the one that came before it), but I guarantee you that the lowest-grossing comic book film of that year (2016) made 10x or more money than the film did.

Spielberg, for me, is the only one that can do huge plots with a ton of action/stuff going on, really well and effectively (of course, he has some duds as well, but on the whole).

No Way Home may be a super-enjoyable film, but it doesn't make it cinematic art like Saving Ryan's Privates, Schindler or even (since it's the same overall genre) Jurassic Park.

And how bastardised everything has become from the source material, in the comic films (I used to be as gargantuan a Marvel fan as I could have been, when I was 8 years old; died off very quickly lol), just makes it a massive turn-off for me.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 09:32 AM)Benton Wrote: Seth Rogen killed comedies. 

Studios loved it when you could spend a few hundred thousand and, even if it flopped, make millions. You didnt need sets or decent actors, just one good shock and lots of jokes about drugs or dicks.

Seth Rogan looks like he'd be funny, but he's one of the least funny people on Earth.

(12-20-2021, 03:44 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: It sure seems like the number would have been a lot higher than 4 per year between both DC and Marvel. Feels like nowadays Marvel is at least good for 3 or 4 a year.

The excitement has certainly waned on my part. While a lot of these films are fun to consume, retrospectively most of them are just kind of garbage cinema. Even thinking back on the latest Spiderman I just catch myself realizing that it was two and a half hours of absolutely nothing. I've defended the movies in the past, as sometimes a mindless 2.5 hours of ridiculous set pieces, one liners and some physical comedy are what you want, but for me it is starting to get old. But for every one of me that "ages out" of being interested in it there's probably a bunch of kids ready to fill my shoes as the consumer.

Well said. I agree with pretty much all of this. Maybe I did just "age out" of them. Kids now haven't been through 20 years of them, so like everything else in life, they're new and fresh to them, which is why I think it's probably a trend that's here to stay.

I also think it's a generational thing. Older generations realized when something "jumped the shark" and demanded new things. I feel like the younger gen just kinda rolls with everything and is less prone to complain than us "boomers".

(12-20-2021, 04:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I have watched:

- ASM
- ASM 2
- Dark Knight (because my wife is a massive Heath ledger fan and I am now as well, though not due to this film)

And that's it.

Each one follows the Summer Blockbuster formula and it seems like only NA pays any big money on these films (just my observation; it may be wrong), whereas some real thought-process/deep plot films aren't as big and popular as a result.

I mean, Silence is an absolute masterpiece (and I despise Scorsese, as every film is a borderline rehash of the one that came before it), but I guarantee you that the lowest-grossing comic book film of that year (2016) made 10x or more money than the film did.

Spielberg, for me, is the only one that can do huge plots with a ton of action/stuff going on, really well and effectively (of course, he has some duds as well, but on the whole).

No Way Home may be a super-enjoyable film, but it doesn't make it cinematic art like Saving Ryan's Privates, Schindler or even (since it's the same overall genre) Jurassic Park.

And how bastardised everything has become from the source material, in the comic films (I used to be as gargantuan a Marvel fan as I could have been, when I was 8 years old; died off very quickly lol), just makes it a massive turn-off for me.

I've seen...

All 3 Tobey SpiderMans
Amazing SpiderMan 1
Pretty much all of the X-men movies
Most of the Avengers movies
Deadpool 1
One of the Captain America movies
One of the Iron Man movies
Wolverine Origins
Green Lantern
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four: Rise of Silver Surfer
...and probably a couple more I'm leaving out

I've had my fill. They all seem pretty plastic and cheap in hindsight. None of them are cinematic masterpieces or even that memorable, tbh. I had a better time with the recent Jumanji films (especially the first one) than any of these, and it's not like Jumanji was a masterpiece.

It was just genuinely funny and well cast.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2021, 12:45 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Seth Rogan looks like he'd be funny, but he's one of the least funny people on Earth.

Well said. I agree with pretty much all of this. Maybe I did just "age out" of them. Kids now haven't been through 20 years of them, so like everything else in life, they're new and fresh to them, which is why I think it's probably a trend that's here to stay.

I also think it's a generational thing. Older generations realized when something "jumped the shark" and demanded new things. I feel like the younger gen just kinda rolls with everything and is less prone to complain than us "boomers".

I've seen...

All 3 Tobey SpiderMans
Amazing SpiderMan 1
Pretty much all of the X-men movies
Most of the Avengers movies
Deadpool 1
One of the Captain America movies
One of the Iron Man movies
Wolverine Origins
Green Lantern
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four: Rise of Silver Surfer
...and probably a couple more I'm leaving out

I've had my fill. They all seem pretty plastic and cheap in hindsight. None of them are cinematic masterpieces or even that memorable, tbh. I had a better time with the recent Jumanji films (especially the first one) than any of these, and it's not like Jumanji was a masterpiece.

It was just genuinely funny and well cast.

Jumanji was awesome; a bit here and there was cringey-ish, but exactly as you said, genuinely funny and enjoyable on the whole.
Reply/Quote
I'm still going strong enjoying them; however, I wish they didn't dominate the movie industry. It feels like the quality of other movie genres have faded and I basically blame Iron Man, Captain America, and other super heroes for this!
Reply/Quote
I think people would be surprised if they understood how many movies are based off of comics…..I was never a comic guy but like it or not they tell good stories.

I think the only real problem these days is lack of original ideas. Cinematic adaptation of written material video games, tv shows, or historical events seem to be all we get these days.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
While not DC or Marvel... Darkhorse comics were just purchased by Embracer group... (Embracer owns over 80 Gaming studios and tons of IPs)

Marvel has Strong Ownership.... DC we might see change ownership within the next 1-5 years if rumors are true
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 04:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I have watched:

- ASM
- ASM 2

And that's it.

You’re dead to me.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 08:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re dead to me.

LOL

I'm not a fan of formulaic things, on the whole; film, music, etc., I just don't care for any of it and Scorsese is the king of formulaic.

He also ripped off Infernal Affairs (the Departed) and will never own up to it, so he can go kick rocks.

It's why I can appreciate Silence; apart from it dripping with Catholicism and Japan (2 of my favourite things lol), he didn't cast/use any family or rehash actors on the project, he didn't go through his normal use of contemporary music and he actually did a film not based in modern times.

He hit it out of the park. I can't call him a, "bad," director as a result, because he did something out of his comfort zone and it is probably his best film (from a quality/critical standpoint).

Just formulaic to death and I can't stand it lol
Reply/Quote
I've never been a superhero fan. i guess it's because I grew up in an era when they weren't that big ?

They're just not my thing.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 11:00 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: LOL

I'm not a fan of formulaic things, on the whole; film, music, etc., I just don't care for any of it and Scorsese is the king of formulaic.

He also ripped off Infernal Affairs (the Departed) and will never own up to it, so he can go kick rocks.

It's why I can appreciate Silence; apart from it dripping with Catholicism and Japan (2 of my favourite things lol), he didn't cast/use any family or rehash actors on the project, he didn't go through his normal use of contemporary music and he actually did a film not based in modern times.

He hit it out of the park. I can't call him a, "bad," director as a result, because he did something out of his comfort zone and it is probably his best film (from a quality/critical standpoint).

Just formulaic to death and I can't stand it lol

Well, I certainly don’t feel that strongly one way or the other about The Departed (it’s fine), but Scorsese made some of the best films of all time earlier in his career (Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, etc). He’s also way more versatile that people give him credit for. The same guy that did all the gangster stuff has also done films like The Age of Innocence, Kundun, After Hours, Bringing out the Dead, The King of Comedy, etc. He’s actually my #1 favorite director (along with Kubrick). And probably always will be.

Also, my wife hated me for dragging her to see Silence when we were dating lol. It was at one of our local art house theaters and that’s a long and heavy film when you aren’t in comfy seats. He did reuse an actor in that one btw. Liam Neeson was in Gangs of New York.

It’s also kind of funny you brought him up in this thread given his opinion on the state of cinema, and particularly all the big comic book franchises and IP’s.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 11:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, I certainly don’t feel that strongly one way or the other about The Departed (it’s fine), but Scorsese made some of the best films of all time earlier in his career (Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, etc). He’s also way more versatile that people give him credit for. The same guy that did all the gangster stuff has also done films like The Age of Innocence, Kundun, After Hours, Bringing out the Dead, The King of Comedy, etc. He’s actually my #1 favorite director (along with Kubrick). And probably always will be.

Also, my wife hated me for dragging her to see Silence when we were dating lol. It was at one of our local art house theaters and that’s a long and heavy film when you aren’t in comfy seats. He did reuse an actor in that one btw. Liam Neeson was in Gangs of New York.

It’s also kind of funny you brought him up in this thread given his opinion on the state of cinema, and particularly all the big comic book franchises and IP’s.

Of course, I am speaking with a degree of generalizing, but I will never shit on an opinion or someone else's likes/dislikes :)

I don't have a favourite director per se, but if I had to pick one, it would probably be Luc Besson (namely his older stuff, pre-the Messenger) and despite using a few of the same actors in multiple films (not even close to Scorsese's use lol), his older stuff is the farthest thing from formulaic LOL

Anyways, I did see the King's Man last night and my wife and I were 2 of 5 people in the entire theatre LOL

A bunch of people saw Spiderman and the Matrix.
Reply/Quote