Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin: Bengals have to add more players from other teams
didnt foresee the high valuation of the bridge a bunch of poor saps just bought... for the 8th time in 5 years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 05:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m not sure if even the national sports media “gets” what just happened between Mike and Marvin.  Mike just relinquished control and that’s YUGE around here.  Booting the Piano Man was long overdue and I can confidently assure you Marvin gave Mike an ultimatum:  Keep me or keep him.  Mike blinked.  I’m with Cris Collinsworth who said Mike wants to win multiple Super Bowls but has no clue how.  

I’m sure Bill Lazor will remain as offensive coordinator because he was with Marvin at today’s press conference and I think you’ll see a big name like Jack Del Rio or Jim Caldwell hired as defensive coordinator.

Mike still pisses me off too.  He wanted to wait and see if Vance Joseph or Hue Jackson got fired because they are coaches who have operated under his tight control before and that’s the kind of coaches Mike wants...

...but let’s give credit to Marvin for talking some sense into the Son of Paul.

He has already been re-signed.

Yeah but Marv got the last laugh with that one. Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 05:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m not sure if even the national sports media “gets” what just happened between Mike and Marvin.  Mike just relinquished control and that’s YUGE around here.  Booting the Piano Man was long overdue and I can confidently assure you Marvin gave Mike an ultimatum:  Keep me or keep him.  Mike blinked.  I’m with Cris Collinsworth who said Mike wants to win multiple Super Bowls but has no clue how.  

I’m sure Bill Lazor will remain as offensive coordinator because he was with Marvin at today’s press conference and I think you’ll see a big name like Jack Del Rio or Jim Caldwell hired as defensive coordinator.

Mike still pisses me off too.  He wanted to wait and see if Vance Joseph or Hue Jackson got fired because they are coaches who have operated under his tight control before and that’s the kind of coaches Mike wants...

That we already know.

I don't think Mike wants to win.....I think he just wants to do it his way, which is cheap, and if they win a few games along the way of making the Brown clan even richer than so be it.  Winning is a nice little byproduct, but it means very little in the scheme of making money, which is the most important, right above being a control freak.

I'll give ol' Merv some due credit.....the sumbitch is almost as shrewd as the old douchebag.  Someone said on here (if you're reading this, and it's you, stand up and take credit, kudos!), that all this hoopla about leaving was nothing more than a plot by Merv to negotiate with the old bastard.  I'll be damned if it wasn't! Cool

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Yeah, prove it.. none of that bejarvus green Ellis bullshit either.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 05:20 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: didnt foresee the high valuation of the bridge a bunch of poor saps just bought...  for the 8th time in 5 years.

Don't see anyone buying anything.  Are you begrudging anyone being glad to see a change made that should have been made years ago?  Just because we're Bengal fans doesn't mean we don't get to celebrate anything.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 06:07 PM)McC Wrote: Don't see anyone buying anything.  Are you begrudging anyone being glad to see a change made that should have been made years ago?  Just because we're Bengal fans doesn't mean we don't get to celebrate anything.

No. Just means that the celebration will be short lived and the soul crushing reality of Bengals fandom existence will once again reapply itself shortly  Ninja

In all honesty, I still don't believe a word from Lewis mouth and likely never will. (unless its him admitting hes a mediocre coach, I'd buy that one) Until worthwhile free agents are in a Bengals uniform, I'll maintain this is all lip service.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 06:21 PM)R3stangs Wrote: No. Just means that the celebration will be short lived and the soul crushing reality of Bengals fandom existence will once again reapply itself shortly  Ninja

In all honesty, I still don't believe a word from Lewis mouth and likely never will. (unless its him admitting hes a mediocre coach, I'd buy that one) Until worthwhile free agents are in a Bengals uniform, I'll maintain this is all lip service.

All our celebrations are short lived.  That's why we have to take them when we get them.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 06:24 PM)McC Wrote: All our celebrations are short lived.  That's why we have to take them when we get them.

Lol. No argument there.
Reply/Quote
I just watched the press conference and to clarify something here. When Merv said something about FA he said, "MAYBE"....... There was no, "we gotta be bigger players in FA"
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 06:26 PM)R3stangs Wrote: Lol. No argument there.

Smile, laugh, jump for joy even.  And then duck.

Reply/Quote
Let's see what happens on the first game of the season. If they lose, but the team is salty and shows fight, then maybe their changes are working.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote

Getting rid of PA was huge no doubt. If we get Del Rio in here and a new LB'er coach i might start to believe...

But Marv better stop sticking his nose in Lazor's bidness if we want to see some success in the 2nd halves of games.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:52 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s not lip service.  Marvin Lewis basically told Mike Brown if he wants a winner he needs to spend money like a winner — and Mike finally gave in.  This means going after high priced free agents and paying for high priced coordinators and assistants.

Source?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I like how hes talking,but i do remember brown saying hes going to lead the charge in free agency a few years ago lol
Reply/Quote
So they finished the season with two quality wins. They’ve gotten rid of my two least favorite coaches in recent Bengals history. I can live with Marvin for another two years.

But I won’t be convinced Mike Brown has turned a corner until I see us active in free agency and sign at least 1 Big name in their prime...and I don’t mean overpaying for a one year wonder like Tampa did for Michael Johnson.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 05:03 PM)McC Wrote: See, this is where a Bengal fan has to resist the urge to hope too hard until said fan sees the words put into action.
This! I'm 43 and have been fooled before. Not ever again! I want action not talk.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
His name is Jimmy Graham. He plays TE. He catches TDs. He has the size to neutralize Daltons high throws.
Reply/Quote
The thing about drafting college players is that you never quite know how they're going to pan out in real pro games .
Obviously some do just great, but until they put on the uniform and actually play nobody really knows. It's not as if there's ever been a college player to flame out their first season and that's a bit unpredictable..
Free agency is the same. Just because they do great with one team doesn't mean they're necessarily going to do great everywhere they go. 
I'm going to once again go ahead and trust Lewis to get the best out of each player and toss caution to the wind and expect that he's able to get the best position coaches available. 
I could sit here being pessimistic thinking that everything is completely lost, but that gets me nowhere and the team goes nowhere when nobody believes in them.
If I'm disappointed next year then so be it, but until proven otherwise I'm still hoping for the best team in the league. 
I think Marvin saw what it feels like to have a pretty good team vastly underperform and wants the 2018 team to be much better than the 2017 team. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt AGAIN.. 
I've seen people change their lives after 15-20 years of struggling so I'm optimistic for the new season even if I believe it's a fixed league..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
We've heard this song and dance before. 4 or 5 years ago Marvin had a big press conference before Free Agency and he said "we're gonna make a big splash in free agency this year" And back to the bargain basement we went !

The Bengals "big splash" was like throwing a pebble into the Pacific ocean from the deck of an aircraft carrier going full speed !

I'm at the point where they're gonna have to show me.

Talk is cheap
Reply/Quote
I remember the aggressive talk from a few years ago. We brought back MJ and signed a broken down AJ Hawk. I'm expecting the exact same dumpster diving free agency tactic. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote