Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin: Bengals have to add more players from other teams
(01-03-2018, 09:27 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: His name is Jimmy Graham. He plays TE. He catches TDs. He has the size to neutralize Daltons high throws.

He also sucks. He has a good post-up move if you’re inside the 5. That’s it.
Reply/Quote
I don't take it to mean the Bengals will be adding more prolific players, or a bigger quantity.

I think he's saying they need to stop getting guys like TO or AJ Hawk. I'd look for more Eric Winston-type signings, someone with no sizzle but a reliable guy who plays cheap.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Cincy has two FA absolutes that will be tested if they infact want to be in position to NOT draft need on the OL. It's either that or they put another inferior product out there as you'll need talent to overcome being behind schedule in building chemistry

1. Paying above market value. The principle of drafting, developing and keeping their talent sounds great but they haven't executed this with the OL. The plan was to be in good position to have the youth build the next generation as they'd stick to their principle of letting the guys that choose to hit UFA "find a competitive deal" so Cincy could decide if they want to match.

Marvin rarely throws Mikey under the bus but he was disgusted (likely because he was scared) when Whit left. If he is going to right a wrong he will have to sign a tackle for more than they are worth. The FA class is poor and contenders that don't want to depend on picks will take the top ones off the market. They may try to sign a fallen 1st like Mikey does, but even that guy will cost more this year. A trade could be another option.

2. Assigning positions significantly higher resources thatn others. It's rare they draft or pay a guard high, but when they took Zeitler as an exception they didnt see his worth as being an exception to pay him "tackle" money. Someone mentioned trying to sign the local kid Norwell. I think that would be great and don't even think Redman and Westerman's flash is worth not focusing on guard. Take the talent and don't be afraid to create this thimg called depth. The interior FA class may be better than the tackles. The draft is deeper than FA, but let's not even consider having to be put in position to start multiple rookies (another team/Marvin rule) or take a lesser prospect out of need.

They're in so bad of shape on the OL that they will have to break one of their rules to fix it. I don't care which one, but trusting the process absolutely will lead to really starting from scratch in a year when Geno and Dunlap walk and AJ and maybe Andy want out.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 05:20 PM)McC Wrote: Marvin needs to change himself too.  Not holding my breath on that one.

Cracking down and holding players accountable on stupid penalties, playing the best players NOW and not waiting until the last game or two, GAME PLANNING, HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS, getting rid of prevent offense in the 2nd half (playing to WIN instead of not to LOSE), CLOCK MANAGEMENT. I don't know how many games I watched last weekend where BOTH teams had ALL their timeouts in the 4th quarter. In a nutshell, you've done some good things Marvin ( got rid of Piano Man) but you have a bunch of things to work on, most of which fall on YOU bud, along with getting a real defensive coordinator. Be the change, Marvin!!
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 03:33 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: Paul Dehner Jr.‏Verified account
@pauldehnerjr
Following Following @pauldehnerjr
More
Marvin: "We are going to have to do a better job of adding some guys from other clubs"

10:25 AM - 3 Jan 2018

Does this mean they are going to be active in FA?

HOPE!???

He said the exact same things in 2010 & 2015 when he re-signed.

Don't expect much change.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 03:33 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: Paul Dehner Jr.‏Verified account
@pauldehnerjr
Following Following @pauldehnerjr
More
Marvin: "We are going to have to do a better job of adding some guys from other clubs"

10:25 AM - 3 Jan 2018

Does this mean they are going to be active in FA?

HOPE!???

Did you notice he didn't say, "better guys" . The Bengals add players in free agency, they're just not good players. Nice try Marvin.....nice try.
Reply/Quote
All this FA talk is ignoring the 125 lb circus elephant in the room that was trained by the same wringling bros clown that eats at wendy's and drives a lumina

[Image: 062500blackburn.jpg] 
Reply/Quote
[Image: 9b3.png]
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown to Marvin just before the press conference (probably):
"Marvin, season ticket holders are cancelling left and right! I'm really worried they don't have any hope for this team for 2018. Say something to make them excited again but not something that we'll actually do!"
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I will believe it when I see it.
Reply/Quote
We need a proven tackle or center. Bodine has got to as well as obuehi
Reply/Quote
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/2/19/8073347/bengals-head-coach-marvin-lewis-insists-that-change-is-coming
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/1/21/7869339/marvin-lewis-hints-that-change-is-coming

Quote:Quote:
This organization is charging hard with change, with Mike Brown playing the role of General Custer. Marvin Lewis is the voice and face of an organization that wants us to believe that things are going to be different.

"Oh yeah, (Mike Brown) is the one leading the charge," Lewis said last month. "He doesn't want to hear, 'We will be better when we get these guys back.' No, we need to get better. He knows we need to get better. He's pushing people to identify players that will make us a better football team in free agency."

"It's a different feel than where we have been," Lewis said. "It's not a status quo. There has not been a status quo conversation or 'Oh, we'll be OK, we'll just get these guys back.' No, no, no, that's bull. We got to be better."
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 06:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/2/19/8073347/bengals-head-coach-marvin-lewis-insists-that-change-is-coming
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/1/21/7869339/marvin-lewis-hints-that-change-is-coming

I just eye-rolled so fervently that one is now stuck admiring the ceiling.

[Image: th?id=OIP.QbMYcq60aUeX4fS5GAK9ZgHaEb&pid=15.1]
Reply/Quote