Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Brown, please step down..
I refer to coach Lewis as Marvin Brown in the thread title, because he's been around so long, it's like he's been inducted into the family. What I mean by "part of the family", is that he is so entrenched into the workings of the team, that he has reached "untouchable" status, as in immunity from being fired.

So, with that in mind, the best we can possibly hope for is that he can see the writing on the wall, and decide for himself that his time has passed, and it is indeed time to retire as HC of the Bengals. In Lewis' 14 seasons with the Bengals, there has been progress, the team has risen from the depths of disparity. However, everything wrong with the Marvin Lewis coached teams, reared it's ugly head, for the second time in a calendar year this Sunday. To recap the scene: A seemingly well prepared Bengals team came out and dominated a quality team for half the game. After the break, crickets... The team forgot how to execute on offense, got frustrated on defense, committed senseless penalties, and in general terms, came unglued.

This is not the 1st time this year, or in the past couple years, or even in the past 10 seasons that this has happened. Over the span of the past 14 years, only one important component remains in tact, Marvin Lewis.

Coach, thanks for the memories! Now, please step down.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If Marv has any dignity and isn't in it just for the money and status, then he would absolutely step down. I'll definitely remember Marv more fondly than Mike, but it's reached a point where even Marv homers are saying it's time. Have some pride Marv.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Yes. Step down Marvin. Enough is enough. 14 ***** years n no playoff wins. Amazing
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 09:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...... it's reached a point where even Marv homers are saying it's time. Have some pride Marv.

Not all of them!  LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 10:46 PM)Wyche Wrote: Not all of them!  LMAO

It's hard to let go.

[Image: tumblr_mfdy2vdgU41rujpd6o1_500.gif]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 09:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If Marv has any dignity and isn't in it just for the money and status, then he would absolutely step down.

Maybe Marvin loves to coach? Maybe he reflects on the way he has turned around this franchise, and the success he's had as proof he can coach in the NFL?

Based on his comments in recent interviews, I think Marvin will retire in the next 3-years. Part of that will simply be his personal decision, and perhaps some of that will be driven by how/when they can acquire a successor he and the Brown family approve of.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
We need a online petition lol it might not do anything,but if he hears about it, it might send him a message
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 11:43 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: We need a online petition lol it might not do anything,but if he hears about it, it might send him a message

Do you remember the 90's? I don't think God himself parting the Ohio River, and demanding he fire Marvin would influence his decision. Seriously. History tells us you won't make the slightest dent.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
Unique, this thread is.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 11:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Unique, this thread is.

Well, thanks for saying so.  I waited a full 24 hrs. before posting what was on my mind.  Even thought about it harder, when I was out surveying in the freezing rain and wind today. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The only hope we've got is for Marvin to say I've had enough. Or for Mike to offer a promotion to whatever title in the F.O.

MB will not fire him - period. If Marvin decides to continue on as HC and goes 2-14 for the next 3 seasons he'll still be here.

Sad but true
Reply/Quote
You know, I really thought that was going to happen back after the 2010 season. I don't if everyone remembers, but there were all sorts of rumors flying around. (Marvin getting canned, Marvin resigning, demands being made, ultimatums, etc.)

I really thought the most likely scenario was that he forces the issue, and just moves on. I knew then what I know now, that Mike wasnt going to be pressured into doing anything. But I thought Marvin would. I actually believed he was tired of the lesser facilities and resources, tired of the lack of spending, tired of being undermined with personnel decisions, tired of no real front office help, tired of wearing 3 hats (HC, Co-GM, scout). I figured he was ready for a fresh start and the appropriate resources and support.

I was wrong. Big time. Then came that infamous and awful press conference. He got squat. He didnt get that indoor facility he was "keen on", he didnt get any big name hires to the staff, or any notable free agents. He got dick. He sat and giggled and gave bs, canned replies. It was clear then, as it is now, that he's a yes man. A puppet. He's the kiss ass at work that values dollars and the upstairs approval over all else, namely having a backbone.

And worst off all? Hes a smug prick. He could two shits about what the average fan thinks about him. Hes made that perfectly clear numerous times. Hes not only not going to feel bad or compelled to change his approach, he wont spend a second worrying about it.

I wish he would sack up too, but the man is a *****. Hes getting his checks and obviously this is plenty of good enough for him. Its no wonder his team doesnt demand greatness from themselves. The owner doesnt and the coach doesnt. Why should they?

Hey, Marvin. Eat shit.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 11:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The only hope we've got is for Marvin to say I've had enough. Or for Mike to offer a promotion to whatever title in the F.O.

MB will not fire him - period. If Marvin decides to continue on as HC and goes 2-14 for the next 3 seasons he'll still be here.

Sad but true

Sad indeed.  What is even sadder, is when I finally realized just how truly dysfunctional our Ownership/management is, compared to franchises with a genuine desire to win championships.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 09:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I refer to coach Lewis as Marvin Brown in the thread title, because he's been around so long, it's like he's been inducted into the family.  What I mean by "part of the family", is that he is so entrenched into the workings of the team, that he has reached "untouchable" status, as in immunity from being fired.

So, with that in mind, the best we can possibly hope for is that he can see the writing on the wall, and decide for himself that his time has passed, and it is indeed time to retire as HC of the Bengals.  In Lewis' 14 seasons with the Bengals, there has been progress, the team has risen from the depths of disparity.  However, everything wrong with the Marvin Lewis coached teams, reared it's ugly head, for the second time in a calendar year this Sunday.  To recap the scene:  A seemingly well prepared Bengals team came out and dominated a quality team for half the game.  After the break, crickets...   The team forgot how to execute on offense, got frustrated on defense, committed senseless penalties, and in general terms, came unglued.

This is not the 1st time this year, or in the past couple years, or even in the past 10 seasons that this has happened.  Over the span of the past 14 years, only one important component remains in tact, Marvin Lewis.

Coach, thanks for the memories!  Now, please step down.

Just imagine if you could come to work and collect a very nice paycheck for just being mediocre, no expectations to excel at your job, just show up and be there. That's the position Marvin is in, and I don't blame him for willingly giving up that cake deal.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Marvin and Mike both need to step down, they are doing more to hinder this team than to help it.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 10:11 AM)Crowe Wrote: Marvin and Mike both need to step down, they are doing more to hinder this team than to help it.

Mike will continue to have an influence over this team until he's six feet deep. Once you have power over something its hard to give it up.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 10:15 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Mike will continue to have an influence over this team until he's six feet deep. Once you have power over something its hard to give it up.

I agree. I think he knows he can do what he wants, it's just unfortunate for us fans that we can't get an owner or a coach that seems to really care about making winning a priority.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 10:25 AM)Crowe Wrote: I agree. I think he knows he can do what he wants, it's just unfortunate for us fans that we can't get an owner or a coach that seems to really care about making winning a priority.

I don't think that the problem with Marvin is a lack of desire to win, but too much of a desire to win his way.  He is just too nice of a guy to step on the throat, when his team has an opponent down.  His philosophy seems to be to get up on an opponent in the 1st half, and just hope to bore them into submission in the 2nd half.

We've seen it all, too many times.  Championship coaches have no problem with burying an opponent, embarrassing them, making them fearful to face their team in the future.  Not Marvin, he wants to win with class, offer the foe dignity in defeat..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 11:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't think that the problem with Marvin is a lack of desire to win, but too much of a desire to win his way.  He is just too nice of a guy to step on the throat, when his team has an opponent down.  His philosophy seems to be to get up on an opponent in the 1st half, and just hope to bore them into submission in the 2nd half.

We've seen it all, too many times.  Championship coaches have no problem with burying an opponent, embarrassing them, making them fearful to face their team in the future.  Not Marvin, he wants to win with class, offer the foe dignity in defeat..

I had the 30 for 30 "Catholics vs. Convicts" on my DVR, so I watched it last night, and on it, Jimmy Johnson brought up a pretty valid point.  Being a Noles fan, I obviously have no love for ANYTHING 'canes, but he was talking about why he never took the foot off the pedal when he got a big lead.  It seems he had lost a couple of big leads early on while he was at Miami, and he was always fearful of letting his opponent back in the game as a result.  I just always assumed him to be a prick, but that was some interesting insight into his philosophy, albeit 30 years later. Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 12:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: I had the 30 for 30 "Catholics vs. Convicts" on my DVR, so I watched it last night, and on it, Jimmy Johnson brought up a pretty valid point.  Being a Noles fan, I obviously have no love for ANYTHING 'canes, but he was talking about why he never took the foot off the pedal when he got a big lead.  It seems he had lost a couple of big leads early on while he was at Miami, and he was always fearful of letting his opponent back in the game as a result.  I just always assumed him to be a prick, but that was some interesting insight into his philosophy, albeit 30 years later. Smirk

I watched the same thing and thought "yeah, that is not Marvin or the Bengals".
Reply/Quote