Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Jones Denies Claim That He Wants 7 Million
Marvin Jones definitely said that he won't give Cincinnati a hometown discount, but not he's saying that the reports of him wanting 7 million are untrue:

"Less than a week later, it's become clear that Jones isn't happy about these reports. Early on Tuesday morning, Jones took to Twitter to voice his displeasure and state that he has no connection with those 'league sources'."

Quote:Marvin Jones Jr  @MarvinJonesJr
Remember fans when folks like the Enquirer say "League Sources Say" that just means they have no information and are trying to force a story

Never have I or anyone I am affiliated w/ told any "source" any information about what I want so don't look for info where there isn't any

We shall all see in a month..... Good nite friends ???

Good news because I think Marvin's great for us and deserves a big deal, but 7 million seamed unrealistic and unreasonable to me.

I know this doesn't mean that we'll get a discount, and maybe now he's just backing off because he realized he won't get 7 million a year, but it definitely makes me feel like we can get him back and keep together a great core with him and AJ.
Reply/Quote
I dont see anywhere where he says he wanted less than 7 million. Could be he realizes he very likely will be the #1 WR on the market and doesnt want the 7 mil story to limit his offers.

We are not getting a good price for Marvin. With a less than stellar WR draft class he will get even more attention.
Reply/Quote
He didn't need to do that but respect him for stepping up
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He wants 9 million Ninja
Reply/Quote
Sounds an awful lot like his agent leaked it in order to test the waters for people's reaction while maintaining deniability if it didn't go over well. Most experts said it was unrealistic, so now a reply.

I do agree with Nati that never once did he say he didn't want that, just that he never talked to any sources about what he wants. Heck, he could want more.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The $7 million probably wouldn't be unrealistic IF Jones hadn't missed so much time due to injury. Eric Decker is the #2 on the Jets and that's about what he makes. Is Eric Decker really that much better than Jones? Are the Jets a "bad team" that doesn't know how to manage their cap space just because they pay their #2 around $7/year? No, they just missed making the playoffs with a rookie head coach and a lackluster Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm. It'll be the injury history that probably limits Jones to a more reasonable price, just a hunch.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2014/03/12/eric-decker-new-york-jets-contract-nfl-free-agency/6356215/
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 03:49 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: The $7 million probably wouldn't be unrealistic IF Jones hadn't missed so much time due to injury.  Eric Decker is the #2 on the Jets and that's about what he makes.  Is Eric Decker really that much better than Jones?  Are the Jets a "bad team" that doesn't know how to manage their cap space just because they pay their #2 around $7/year?  No, they just missed making the playoffs with a rookie head coach and a lackluster Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm.  It'll be the injury history that probably limits Jones to a more reasonable price, just a hunch.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2014/03/12/eric-decker-new-york-jets-contract-nfl-free-agency/6356215/

Yes... yes he is.

Decker after 4 years: 222 / 3,070 / 33 TDs / 8 100+ yard games
Jones after 4 years: 134 / 1,729 / 15 TDs / 1 100+ yard game

Even a 100% healthy Jones couldn't put up 87/1,288/11, which is what Decker put up in his contract year. Decker's just really that much better than Jones.

EDIT: Also note that the Jets #1 WR makes an average of $8.66m/yr and their #2 WR makes an average of $7.25m/yr, for a total of just under $16m/yr for a WR duo that put up a combined 189 / 2,529 / 26.

If the Bengals pay Marvin Jones an average of $7m/yr, the comparisons would look something like this...

Jets: $15.9m/yr... 189 / 2,529 / 26 TDs / 11 100+ yard games
Bengals: $22m/yr... 151 / 2,113 / 14 TDs / 4 100+ yard games

$6m/yr less, and better results, with a worse quarterback.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 03:18 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sounds an awful lot like his agent leaked it in order to test the waters for people's reaction while maintaining deniability if it didn't go over well. Most experts said it was unrealistic, so now a reply.

I do agree with Nati that never once did he say he didn't want that, just that he never talked to any sources about what he wants. Heck, he could want more.

Exactly what I thought.  Seems like they weren't quite sure where their starting point was, so they decided to test the market and monitor reactions. 
Nowhere did I see a denial of the money.
Reply/Quote
Misleading regarding the Jets.

Marshall + Decker = 305 targets
Green + Jones = 234 targets

The Jets used their top 2 WR's almost 30% more than Cincinnati, mostly because they never used their TE (Eifert 72 targets, Cumberland 13 targets).
Reply/Quote
He's the best FA WR on the market this year, he's going to get a pay day somewhere.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It doesn't have to be his agent leaking it. Just as likely came from the Bengals front office trying to prepare fans for the inevitable (losing Jones).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Jones wants as much as a team will pay him, which is exactly what he should want.
Reply/Quote
So many conspiracy theorists.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 09:45 AM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Misleading regarding the Jets.

The Jets used their top 2 WR's almost 30% more than Cincinnati, mostly because they never used their TE (Eifert 72 targets, Cumberland 13 targets).

good point.. it is not just about yards , catches and TDs, it is also about how you are perceived as a player.. Not all teams are created equal or play the same offense.  The market also will affect the price tag.. This is a thin market for WR's.. I much rather be a WR than a Defensive lineman in the FA market this year.  
Reply/Quote
Thanks for noticing :-)

I think you all are very correct in noticing what was said and what wasn't said in that. I retweeted his objections to my reporting and responded with a tweet of my own. I have yet to hear from him or his camp since, or been asked to retract what I reported.

As for the dollars involved -- all contracts are based off comps, but every agent will try to have their guy set the market, or become the new baseline comparison. Alshon Jeffery should be tagged by the Chicago Bears as they work toward a long term extension. That leaves Marvin Jones as the clear No. 1 UFA on the market. Heck, looking at it, with Travis Benjamin likely re-signing in Cleveland, Mo Sanu is moving up the list, too.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 09:45 AM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Misleading regarding the Jets.

WRs who are open more will be targeted more.

Marshall & Decker = 6 combined games with <50 yards
Green & Jones = 12 combined games with <50 yards

They vanished less, so they got more targets. People always equate more targets to just being used more, but never give credit to the fact that the best WRs in the league always have more targets because they're simply open more often. If Marvin Jones was beating his guy by 3 yards every play, I am pretty sure he'd end up with 200 targets regardless of who Dalton intended to throw the ball to.

Reply/Quote
I think some of you are underestimating the market.

Jones will be the #1 WR on the market.
The market will dictate what he's worth. $6 mil is very realistic, $7 mil is not a stretch.
He's young and somewhat proven and this draft class is a fairly week class for a true #1 WR.

All of this will play into it, to me, if he hits the FA market, then he will get $6.5 mil per year at the lowest.
Reply/Quote
When I read the title the first thing I thought was "Who is Marvin Jones Denis?"
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 02:12 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I think some of you are underestimating the market.

Jones will be the #1 WR on the market.
The market will dictate what he's worth. $6 mil is very realistic, $7 mil is not a stretch.
He's young and somewhat proven and this draft class is a fairly week class for a true #1 WR.

All of this will play into it, to me, if he hits the FA market, then he will get $6.5 mil per year at the lowest.

I think as long as he makes more than Tate, he will be happy.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 03:14 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I think as long as he makes more than Tate, he will be happy.

5 year/$31 mil is the low end he should be looking at.
That contract was signed 2 years ago..

5 year/$33-35 mil is right in line with what I was saying.

What I don't want to see is the Bengals trying to low ball him and pissing him off so that he goes to Free Agency. Give him a fair value and go from there.
Reply/Quote