Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Jones is Top Priority for Bengals
I would prefer that combo over Jones also.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
well right now it looks like he will be replacing Megatron in Detroit

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Let the meltdown begin. Jones to Detroit $8m/year being reported
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:28 AM)YoungThundercat Wrote: Let the meltdown begin. Jones to Detroit $8m/year being reported

Can't fault the Bengals here, can't pay Jones $8Mil a year while paying AJ $15Mil a year. If we could have got that down to 6 it would be possible, but can't tie up that much money in one position.
Reply/Quote
Jones to Detroit. At least it's not Cleveland.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:17 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Think one of the two need to be signed. Either Jones or Sanu.

Believe one can be replaced via draft or FA without missing a whole lot since AJ and Eiffert are main targets anyway.

Can not replace both very easily though and do not want Wallace personally. Never been a big fan. He is a one trick pony who has lost a step and never had good hands anyway.

Jones is gone and I don't want Sanu.  
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: Can't fault the Bengals here, can't pay Jones $8Mil a year while paying AJ $15Mil a year. If we could have got that down to 6 it would be possible, but can't tie up that much money in one position.

I'm in 100% agreement with you on that. But I think alot of people will see that and bemoan that we couldn't match. Will be interesting if Sanu leaves too if we got get a Rishard Matthews or just draft in round 1.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:40 AM)YoungThundercat Wrote: I'm in 100% agreement with you on that. But I think alot of people will see that and bemoan that we couldn't match. Will be interesting if Sanu leaves too if we got get a Rishard Matthews or just draft in round 1.

If it isn't Treadwell or Coleman Rd1 I think we wait for round two or later. Not sure there is a ton of top end WR talent this year. We have history of getting good production out of mid round wrs (Jones and Sanu recently).
Reply/Quote
Yeah so much of a top priority that we just lost him to Detroit
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: Can't fault the Bengals here, can't pay Jones $8Mil a year while paying AJ $15Mil a year. If we could have got that down to 6 it would be possible, but can't tie up that much money in one position.

The thing is with these contracts nowadays you are going to be able to say that about all of our big time free agents (one of the reasons the odds we won't get any of the top 4 back are high). Nobody is going to "worth" the money they get. And with only 15 million to spend and much of that going to Eifert and Gio, we just can't compete.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:42 AM)Au165 Wrote: If it isn't Treadwell or Coleman Rd1 I think we wait for round two or later. Not sure there is a ton of top end WR talent this year. We have history of getting good production out of mid round wrs (Jones and Sanu recently).

Not to turn this into a draft thread, but not sold on Coleman being more than a system guy. Don't think he gets that seperation on the outside in the NFL. But there's also Josh Dotson from TCU who's worthy of #24 and Fuller from ND who a decent playmaker
Reply/Quote
I thought I just read somewhere that Detroit was probably out and CLE, TEN, US were the options. Guess they were wrong. So long Marvin.

Must get Nelson and Pacman. No excuses. Illoka going to Vikes i can feel it.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:59 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I thought I just read somewhere that Detroit was probably out and CLE, TEN, US were the options. Guess they were wrong. So long Marvin.

Must get Nelson and Pacman. No excuses. Illoka going to Vikes i can feel it.

It's being reported that we are close to a deal with Iloka
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:04 PM)Garrus Wrote: It's being reported that we are close to a deal with Iloka

Just saw that, stunned actually. Maybe it will be Reggie to Vikes then? Just have a hard time believing Zim won't get one. I'd be good with Iloka and Pac back. Great success IMO all things considered.

Reply/Quote
So much for that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000642610/article/marvin-jones-to-sign-with-detroit-lions
Reply/Quote
interesting point by Dehner

Paul Dehner Jr. ‏@pauldehnerjr 14m14 minutes ago
For reference, had #Bengals paid Marvin Jones $8M/year, combo of per year money btw top two WRs would be $23M. Next highest? GB at $20M.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:31 PM)pally Wrote: interesting point by Dehner  

Paul Dehner Jr. ‏@pauldehnerjr  14m14 minutes ago
For reference, had #Bengals paid Marvin Jones $8M/year, combo of per year money btw top two WRs would be $23M. Next highest? GB at $20M.

That's not really a fair comparison.  You would have to take into account when the Green Bay receivers signed their deals.  The cap goes up every single year, as do salaries.  So if you would have had both Green and Jones on new deals, it makes sense that their number would be higher.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:34 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: That's not really a fair comparison.  You would have to take into account when the Green Bay receivers signed their deals.  The cap goes up every single year, as do salaries.  So if you would have had both Green and Jones on new deals, it makes sense that their number would be higher.

You also have to consider that our TE is a much better receiver option.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I am critical of the Bengals free agency strategy every year but I agree with not paying Marvin Jones 8 Million per year. That is just too much for a number 2 Wide Receiver with his small frame and potential risk for injury again. Now if they would have planned ahead and drafted Tyler Lockett last year like many of us wanted the loss would be even easier to get past but either way it was a smart move to let Jones walk and get Iloka locked in.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not sold on replacing a known quantity (Marvin Jones) with an unknown quantity (Draft Pick). That said, I agree that $8m is a tad heavy and I don't blame Jones for taking it and the Bengals for letting him go. I just wish I knew what the Bengals offered. I mean, if it were $7m a year, I'd say that was a fair offer. If it was $4-5m a year, I'd say they were being cheap.
Reply/Quote