Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis Number 1 failure
(10-06-2016, 05:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lewis is just as animated as Belechick on the sidelines.  Fact.  Case closed.

I am not saying that Marvin is above criticism.  But it is silly to just criticize everything he does just because you don't like him.

I'm not criticizing everything he does.  I think he's a fine defensive mind, but come on fred, this tactic of "Well see.....Marvin does what Belichick does so everyone needs to calm down" is a false dichotomy.  

Belichick does what he does and wins Championships (Division, Conference and Super Bowls).  Lewis may approach the game in a similar fashion but wins a couple divisional titles (granted in a tougher division), backs his way into a few postseasons and presumes to fall flat on his ass in the playoffs not once, not twice but a full SEVEN times including five consecutive one-and-dones.

So not everyone is criticizing everything he does, but most of what he does is not working and, for the most part, has never worked when it needs to the most.  Would you not also agree?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:20 PM)JumboTron Wrote: I'm not criticizing everything he does.  I think he's a fine defensive mind, but come on fred, this tactic of "Well see.....Marvin does what Belichick does so everyone needs to calm down" is a false dichotomy.  

Belichick does what he does and wins Championships (Division, Conference and Super Bowls).  Lewis may approach the game in a similar fashion but wins a couple divisional titles (granted in a tougher division), backs his way into a few postseasons and presumes to fall flat on his ass in the playoffs not once, not twice but a full SEVEN times including five consecutive one-and-dones.

So not everyone is criticizing everything he does, but most of what he does is not working and, for the most part, has never worked when it needs to the most.  Would you not also agree?

Here is my point.  Don't know why you keep missing it.

Marvin is doing something wrong, but his demeanor on the sidelines and in press conferences is not the problem.  If it was then I don't think Belechick would have the same demeanor.

Criticize Marvin for what he is doing wrong.  Don't just criticize him for every single thing he does 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:10 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Excellent post but... Stop feeding the FredToast. He's just looking for an argument. I wouldn't go so far to call him a troll but he's definitely the boards biggest contrarian. I think a part of him is sick of Marvin's ineptitude as well but he'll never admit it and will make excuses and defend Marv until the bitter end. Just let him, no use fighting it. 

Nice post Pat. Never gonna win an argument with someone who will never admit they are wrong.

Fred will always defende Marv and PA everytime without fail.

While some will see the good in Marv like Holic, you and i do AND the bad, he will never admit the bad. Just isn't going to happen.
Reply/Quote
So we want Jim Harbaugh on our sidelines acting like a 3 year old, now? I'm confused.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is my point.  Don't know why you keep missing it.

Marvin is doing something wrong, but his demeanor on the sidelines and in press conferences is not the problem.  If it was then I don't think Belechick would have the same demeanor.

Criticize Marvin for what he is doing wrong.  Don't just criticize him for every single thing he does 

[Image: funny_graduation_card_hell_freezes_over-...3o_400.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post Pat. Never gonna win an argument with someone who will never admit they are wrong.

Fred will always defende Marv and PA everytime without fail.

While some will see the good in Marv like Holic, you and i do AND the bad, he will never admit the bad. Just isn't going to happen.

Someone needs to learn how to read.

Either that or stop trolling.

(10-06-2016, 05:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not saying that Marvin is above criticism. 

(10-06-2016, 05:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin is doing something wrong,

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So we want Jim Harbaugh on our sidelines acting like a 3 year old, now?  I'm confused.

Well considering he has 5x the amount of playoff wins than Lewis in about nine less seasons including a trip the Super Bowl, I would take Harbaugh and whatever sideline baggage he has.

Talk about an upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Someone needs to learn how to read.

Either that or stop trolling.

Simple question, what is Marvin Lewis doing wrong Fredtoast?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is my point.  Don't know why you keep missing it.

That's right fred, stick to the low hanging fruit.  I see you took a quick exit from the conversation, when Holic shut you down on your original criticisms of this thread. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:20 PM)JumboTron Wrote: I'm not criticizing everything he does.  I think he's a fine defensive mind, but come on fred, this tactic of "Well see.....Marvin does what Belichick does so everyone needs to calm down" is a false dichotomy.  

Here's the opening salvo of this thread:

"The biggest problem with Marvin Lewis is how he continues to make the statement that "we need to do better."

I think all that Fred is saying is that Marvin's demeanor is not the biggest problem.   He's not denying there is a problem, just that Marvin's coach speak is not the problem.   Any coach that comes to the microphone after yet another playoff loss is going to sound lame whatever they say.   There is not going to be anything the man CAN say at that point that won't sound lame.

And I don't watch post game press conferences after losses because I don't want to be disgusted.  Because nothing said changes the frustration about the outcome.  It just rubs salt in the wound.  That's when I truly sympathize for a coach.  What the dickens is he supposed to say?  He has to sit there and dribble platitudes till the press stops asking stupid questions (or smart ones no coach is going to answer).

I don't think you can defend 7 consecutive failures to get out of the 1st round of the playoffs.  And you have to believe that there is a coaching failure in that - though I suspect that it has little to do with anything we really know for sure.  We can only criticize what we see and guess about the rest - which is an internal process we don't have access to.

But saying that the worst thing about Marvin is what he says in the post loss conference is lame.

Fred is right about that
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:36 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Well considering he has 5x the amount of playoff wins than Lewis in about nine less seasons including a trip the Super Bowl, I would take Harbaugh and whatever sideline baggage he has.

Talk about an upgrade.
Before Coach Lewis came here, No good coaches wanted to work for Mike Brown....and I doubt that has changed.  Dave Shula, Coslett and LeBeau were just God Awful.....Fans would mention Parcells as you now mention Harbaugh.  I don't see either Harbaugh leaving their jobs to come to Cincy and to work under Mike Brown, forget about it.......Coach Lewis took over THE WORST team in the NFL and had play-off seasons over 50 % of the years he has been here.   That is a HUGE turnaround considering this was THE WORST team in the NFL before he got here.......BUT THE POINT is he WANT'S MORE.  He WANT"S those play-off wins....He WANT"S that Super Bowl....and this thread starts off whining because he is telling the players to play harder to reach these goals. You have to be kidding me. ....YES, THIS TEAM NEEDS TO PLAY BETTER, A LOT BETTER. ....I hope Coach Lewis NEVER stops telling them this. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:49 PM)3wt Wrote: Here's the opening salvo of this thread:

"The biggest problem with Marvin Lewis is how he continues to make the statement that "we need to do better."

I think all that Fred is saying is that Marvin's demeanor is not the biggest problem.   He's not denying there is a problem, just that Marvin's coach speak is not the problem.   Any coach that comes to the microphone after yet another playoff loss is going to sound lame whatever they say.   There is not going to be anything the man CAN say at that point that won't sound lame.

And I don't watch post game press conferences after losses because I don't want to be disgusted.  Because nothing said changes the frustration about the outcome.  It just rubs salt in the wound.  That's when I truly sympathize for a coach.  What the dickens is he supposed to say?  He has to sit there and dribble platitudes till the press stops asking stupid questions (or smart ones no coach is going to answer).

I don't think you can defend 7 consecutive failures to get out of the 1st round of the playoffs.  And you have to believe that there is a coaching failure in that - though I suspect that it has little to do with anything we really know for sure.  We can only criticize what we see and guess about the rest - which is an internal process we don't have access to.

But saying that the worst thing about Marvin is what he says in the post loss conference is lame.

Fred is right about that

Yep, and as far as I am concerned I do not believe that is the worst thing about Marvin.  The worst thing about Marvin is that he can't coach his team worth a s*it when it comes to big games.  Just a small criticism really.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:52 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Yep, and as far as I am concerned I do not believe that is the worst thing about Marvin.  The worst thing about Marvin is that he can't coach his team worth a s*it when it comes to big games.  Just a small criticism really.

THAT is a fair criticism..

Want to hear one from Fredtoast.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:52 PM)kevin Wrote: Before Coach Lewis came here, No good coaches wanted to work for Mike Brown....and I doubt that has changed.  Don Shula, Coslett and LeBeau were just God Awful.....Fans would mention Parcells as you now mention Harbaugh.  I don't see either Harbaugh leaving their jobs to come to Cincy and to work under Mike Brown, forget about it.......Coach Lewis took over THE WORST team in the NFL and had play-off seasons over 50 % of the years he has been here.   That is a HUGE turnaround considering this was THE WORST team in the NFL before he got here.......BUT THE POINT is he WANT'S MORE.  He WANT"S those play-off wins....He WANT"S that Super Bowl....and this thread starts off whining because he is telling the players to play harder to reach these goals. You have to be kidding me. ....YES, THIS TEAM NEEDS TO PLAY BETTER, A LOT BETTER. ....I hope Coach Lewis NEVER stops telling them this. 

Jesus dude, I never said I wanted Harbaugh here.  I was replying to Nately's post about Harbaugh.  My response was not a tacit endorsement of Harbaugh or me saying I want him as head coach.  I was comparing how the two coaches have done in the postseason.  Harbaugh has done well and Lewis has been an absolute embarrassment.  That's the truth and me pointing that out as well as saying he'd be an upgrade does not equate to me wanting Harbaugh to be the coach.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: THAT is a fair criticism..

Want to hear one from Fredtoast.

Ha, Yeah, good luck with that. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 12:24 PM)jason Wrote: This board has done some good things. It has to keep grinding, do its job, and clean some things up on third down...
Also... It has to limit turnovers.

Lol marvins post game speech every time, it's funny and sad!! 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:56 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Jesus dude, I never said I wanted Harbaugh here.  I was replying to Nately's post about Harbaugh.  My response was not a tacit endorsement of Harbaugh or me saying I want him as head coach.  I was comparing how the two coaches have done in the postseason.  Harbaugh has done well and Lewis has been an absolute embarrassment.  That's the truth and me pointing that out as well as saying he'd be an upgrade does not equate to me wanting Harbaugh to be the coach.
but I have to point out that this entire thread starts off with one lone fan batching and moaning that Coach Lewis tells the team to play better....and I've made several posts to this saying that is a stupid complaint about a coach....This lone fan fails to realize that is what coaches are in business to do...To coach them up and tell them to play better......Does anybody not agree that at 2-2 on the season, they need to play better.......This entire thread against Marvin Lewis started with the most stupid complaint about a coach that I have ever heard. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Marvin I think tries to be bill.  But I think bill obviously is smarter, has a killer instinct in games, and will fight for his team with the refs. I noticed all the winning coaches usually argue with the refs. If not you are just trusting them to much. The refs want to be part of the game obviously. You might be able to point to just one coach who didn't argue a call. And that was Manning's coach. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's right fred, stick to the low hanging fruit.  I see you took a quick exit from the conversation, when Holic shut you down on your original criticisms of this thread. 

[Image: disappearing-man-syndrome.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 12:01 PM)mhbsavant Wrote: The biggest problem with Marvin Lewis is how he continues to make the statement that "we need to do better." He acts as if the guys on the other team are not lifting weights and collecting paychecks. Could it be that the other coach saw fitting that the "we need to do better" ship needs to sail on and decided to just out-coach the man across the field from him? Has Bellicheck ever said we need to do better?

Every time "Mr. LET'S GO" says we need to do better is like he is acknowledging the team's failures as the player's fault only along with their inability to will their way on their opponent regardless of the other coaches half time adjustments. He has always been POOR in his adjustments because he figures we should just do better the next time, why adjust anything!

F**K Mr. "Let's GO"

This is how this thread started. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote