Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis coaching hires
With Vance Joseph being named Head Coach for the Broncos, that makes 4 coaches or 1/8th of the NFL HC coming through Cincinnati and Marvin Lewis at one major point of their careers. Are these 4 men the anomaly or are they representative of his hiring decisions. Are we just being impatient with the current coaching team and not giving them enough time to gel? We did see improvement towards the very end of the season especially on the defense. On offense the changes came mainly due to injury so its hard to determine how much was coaching. I do understand the issues with Paul Alexander but lets be real that is a Mike Brown decision and when he leaves will be of his own accord. I don't think Marvin gets a say in that.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Personally I believe our good coaches get vultured and we stick with mediocre lifers like Alexander for wayyy too long.

Aside from Guenther, Urban and Lazor, I don't have high hopes for our current staff. I think Vance was the last serious HC candidate we'll see from Lewis staff for a good while.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 05:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Personally I believe our good coaches get vultured and we stick with mediocre lifers like Alexander for wayyy to long.

Aside from Guenther, Urban and Lazor, I don't have high hopes for our current staff.

Yep, I can't pin Piano Man on Marv though, we know he got saddled with him, as did Coslet and LeBeau.  That's just whacked out man.  Zampese and few of these others are in the same class, I'm afraid.  I guess we'll see this next year, I hope I'm wrong, but I have my doubts.  How long will the wrong Hayes Brother stay here? Nervous

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Its interesting. I honestly thought Vance would have been the future coach of the Bengals after Marvin Lewis departs. Now its all up in the air and there is no clear heir.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 05:59 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Its interesting. I honestly thought Vance would have been the future coach of the Bengals after Marvin Lewis departs. Now its all up in the air and there is no clear heir.

I think this fully cements Guenther as the next HC.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 06:03 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I think this fully cements Guenther as the next HC.

That would be the laziest hire of the century, and believe me that says a lot because the Bengals front office aren't one to put themselves out!
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 06:29 PM)GodFather Wrote: That would be the laziest hire of the century, and believe me that says a lot because the Bengals front office aren't one to put themselves out!

I agree with this. I like Guenther as a DC but nothing more. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 06:29 PM)GodFather Wrote: That would be the laziest hire of the century, and believe me that says a lot because the Bengals front office aren't one to put themselves out!

I don't know......the Zampese hire might actually be lazier.

But. We can argue about that more next year when we hear Marvin got another extension for reaching the playoffs but losing again.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Hmm, 1/8th of NFL HC's come through Cincy and yet we have the longest post-season drought in the business. It just don't add up!
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 06:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I agree with this. I like Guenther as a DC but nothing more. 

Amen to that!
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 07:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, 1/8th of NFL HC's come through Cincy and yet we have the longest post-season drought in the business.  It just don't add up!
Maybe some of these coaches succeed in spite of Marvin and the lazy FO.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 07:22 PM)Derrick Wrote: Maybe some of these coaches succeed in spite of Marvin and the lazy FO.

or they move on before their impact can be felt long term.  They knew they couldn't move up here or other issues with how Marvin leads or Mike owns

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 06:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I agree with this. I like Guenther as a DC but nothing more. 

Don't even really like him as a DC.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 07:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, 1/8th of NFL HC's come through Cincy and yet we have the longest post-season drought in the business.  It just don't add up!

Well man, if it's of any consolation, none of the disciples has any Playoff wins, either...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 09:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well man, if it's of any consolation, none of the disciples has any Playoff wins, either...

Excellent point.  Now to just forget that fact that Marvin a has been here since I was in college...
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 06:03 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I think this fully cements Guenther as the next HC.

Yes, but where?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 09:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't even really like him as a DC.

Well keep in mind, Marvin wouldn't let him make any personell adjustments after the bye week. He did a damn good job in the second half of the season considering he was a mere yes man for Giggles. 

I can see it now: that NFL Top 10 program "And Number 1 on our biggest blunders in sports history... The Cincinnati Bengals keeping Marvin Lewis over several super bowl winning head coaches"

We all thought the Bill Walsh thing was bad, wait until we see this happen  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 09:50 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Well keep in mind, Marvin wouldn't let him make any personell adjustments after the bye week. He did a damn good job in the second half of the season considering he was a mere yes man for Giggles. 

I can see it now: that NFL Top 10 program "And Number 1 on our biggest blunders in sports history... The Cincinnati Bengals keeping Marvin Lewis over several super bowl winning head coaches"

We all thought the Bill Walsh thing was bad, wait until we see this happen  Ninja

Well, in order for that to happen, at least one of those understudies has to at least GET his team to the playoffs, first..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 09:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, in order for that to happen, at least one of those understudies has to at least GET his team to the playoffs, first..

This reminds me of that famous passage from the Bible:  "No disciple is above his teacher."  (Matthew 10:24)

I'm not saying Marvin's understudies will not succeed, but, um, uh.......
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 05:04 PM)pally Wrote: With Vance Joseph being named Head Coach for the Broncos, that makes 4 coaches or 1/8th of the NFL HC coming through Cincinnati and Marvin Lewis at one major point of their careers.  Are these 4 men the anomaly or are they representative of his hiring decisions.  Are we just being impatient with the current coaching team and not giving them enough time to gel?  We did see improvement towards the very end of the season especially on the defense.  On offense the changes came mainly due to injury so its hard to determine how much was coaching.  I do understand the issues with Paul Alexander but lets be real that is a Mike Brown decision and when he leaves will be of his own accord.  I don't think Marvin gets a say in that.

Question for you: Are the success of these coaches being hired as head coaches attributable to Marv or was our 5 straight years of making the playoffs attributable to the coaches who left?

None of those coaches were here in 2016 when we didn't make the playoffs. Just a thought.

Reply/Quote