Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis coaching hires
(01-11-2017, 09:50 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Well keep in mind, Marvin wouldn't let him make any personell adjustments after the bye week. He did a damn good job in the second half of the season considering he was a mere yes man for Giggles. 

I can see it now: that NFL Top 10 program "And Number 1 on our biggest blunders in sports history... The Cincinnati Bengals keeping Marvin Lewis over several super bowl winning head coaches"

We all thought the Bill Walsh thing was bad, wait until we see this happen  Ninja

Eh, I just don't like how he runs the defense. Soft coverage, lack of turnovers (from people not named Reggie Neslon), lack of sacks, too much broken coverage, too many stupid penalties, iffy tackling.

Plus pretty damn bad run defense. It didn't hurt them in 2015 too much because the offense was scoring enough that other teams had to throw to keep up, but the last three years they've finished 23rd, 22nd, and 18th in rushing YPC allowed. (15th, 11th, and 8th in the 3 years prior.)

(01-11-2017, 09:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, in order for that to happen, at least one of those understudies has to at least GET his team to the playoffs, first..

Zimmer and Gruden have both taken their teams to the playoffs. (Not that either of those two are really Marvin's understudies.) Joseph went to the playoffs this year as the DC for the Dolphins.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 05:04 PM)pally Wrote: With Vance Joseph being named Head Coach for the Broncos, that makes 4 coaches or 1/8th of the NFL HC coming through Cincinnati and Marvin Lewis at one major point of their careers.  Are these 4 men the anomaly or are they representative of his hiring decisions.  Are we just being impatient with the current coaching team and not giving them enough time to gel?  We did see improvement towards the very end of the season especially on the defense.  On offense the changes came mainly due to injury so its hard to determine how much was coaching.  I do understand the issues with Paul Alexander but lets be real that is a Mike Brown decision and when he leaves will be of his own accord.  I don't think Marvin gets a say in that.

What personnel changes came due to injuries besides Green getting hurt?

Ogbuehi was terrible and started 11 games. He was arguably the worst tackle in the NFL. Some may say Nugent lost us games, but so did Ogbuehi. Bodine has showed improvements from game to game. He can be average to below average. But when you have that next to a terrible RT, you bring pressure onto that side.

Also, the play calling was bad. Very bad. It's no coincidence we had the lowest scoring team in the 4th quarter, averaging a mere 3 points a game and averaging only 8 points in the second half. That's not the signs of a good offensive coordinator. There was a ton of head scratching plays.

Do you remember a time during the season where you saw Zampese talking to any of his offensive guys? Including Dalton?

There's zero reason this offense should have been 21st in the red zone. The sad thing is, the team climbed the rankings after the injury to Green. They were one of the worst.

There were a lot of question marks and uninspired play from this offense.

Here's my question. When you think of a Zampese ran offense, what do you think of? What's it's identity? Is it it's own identity? Or is it trying to be someone else's identity, IE: last year's offense under Hue, Gruden's rookie offense, etc.

Because honestly, the offense of 2016 reminds me that of a shell of the 2015 offense. Tried to use what was there before rather than create something new and focus on moving forward rather than staying where they were with someone else.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 06:29 PM)GodFather Wrote: That would be the laziest hire of the century, and believe me that says a lot because the Bengals front office aren't one to put themselves out!

The zampese hire already has that award.why would we interview coaches when we can hire within and save time and money.the product isnt the end game here like the other 31 teams. Its about money.hiring zampese as a first time coordinator saved both.im sorry but i honestly think hes trash.the eye test says so after a season with hugh .go ahead and start the excuses ...
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 09:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well man, if it's of any consolation, none of the disciples has any Playoff wins, either...

Yeah and watching Walsh miss a gimme field goal to lose for the Vikings last year and watching the Skins lose a must win at home to the Division Rivals seems awfully familiar too, doesn't it?
Reply/Quote
mArvin and tobin are great with finding the right people. That doesn't make Marvin a good coach.

as many people have said, Marvin would make a great gm. His relationship with veterans is second to none. Can't coach them, but he gets along with them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 07:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, 1/8th of NFL HC's come through Cincy and yet we have the longest post-season drought in the business.  It just don't add up!

Maybe those assistants couldn't overcome the ineptness at the top, and were propping up an inferior HC?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Vance should be our head coach, but nah we are loyal to mediocrity.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Exactly why Marvin should be the GM as we have all said for years.

Promote him or fire him are the only alternatives imo. Promote is my choice.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 11:44 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Vance should be our head coach, but nah we are loyal to mediocrity.

and this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
 VJ hasn't proven anything yet as a HC. It's not exactly a forgone conclusion that the Broncos will win especially lacking a QB. The very same arguments were made to have HJ take over for ML and it doesn't take Vince Lombardi to see how wildly successful Cleveland was this year. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 06:29 PM)GodFather Wrote: That would be the laziest hire of the century, and believe me that says a lot because the Bengals front office aren't one to put themselves out!

Agreed, but Hobsy and the beat guys have reported that the FO loves Guenther and they think he's an up and coming HC candidate. They're going to be partial to him and he'll probably be the #1 option when Marvin leaves. They'll conduct a couple of interviews to see if anyone can actually outshine Guenther.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 05:16 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Agreed, but Hobsy and the beat guys have reported that the FO loves Guenther and they think he's an up and coming HC candidate. They're going to be partial to him and he'll probably be the #1 option when Marvin leaves. They'll conduct a couple of interviews to see if anyone can actually outshine Guenther.

Its tough being a Bengals fan  Smirk
Reply/Quote
what can we do as fans to rid marvin lewis as Bengals HC
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 09:55 AM)Wyche Wrote: Maybe those assistants couldn't overcome the ineptness at the top, and were propping up an inferior HC?

(I'm joking...it TOTALLY adds up).
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 05:04 PM)pally Wrote: With Vance Joseph being named Head Coach for the Broncos, that makes 4 coaches or 1/8th of the NFL HC coming through Cincinnati and Marvin Lewis at one major point of their careers.  Are these 4 men the anomaly or are they representative of his hiring decisions.  Are we just being impatient with the current coaching team and not giving them enough time to gel?  We did see improvement towards the very end of the season especially on the defense.  On offense the changes came mainly due to injury so its hard to determine how much was coaching.  I do understand the issues with Paul Alexander but lets be real that is a Mike Brown decision and when he leaves will be of his own accord.  I don't think Marvin gets a say in that.

To be honest Marvin has been a Head Coach for 14 years. 

He's had to assemble a lot of coaching staff in that time - especially with some of the resource turnover recently due to regular season success.

So if you do it long enough you're bound to have picked some good 'uns along the way who can develop and become HC's themselves.  Not sure there's anything in Lewis' selection in themselves  which makes him any better than anyone else.

As an aside - I'm not one of those who were pushing for Vance Joseph as HC but I did think it was classy that he opened his Broncos conference thanking all the HC's he had worked for previously (including Marv)
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 12:37 AM)Benton Wrote: mArvin and tobin are great with finding the right people. That doesn't make Marvin a good coach.

as many people have said, Marvin would make a great gm. His relationship with veterans is second to none. Can't coach them, but he gets along with them.

This ^^^^

Marv can find the players and coaches.....just can't coach the players on game day....or leading us to game day.  GREAT teacher....bad Strategist.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 08:31 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: what can we do as fans to rid marvin lewis as Bengals HC

Nothing except not watch or pay for anything Bengals, and then only if you can get 50,000-100,000 other people to join in.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 07:15 AM)sonofstat Wrote: To be honest Marvin has been a Head Coach for 14 years. 

He's had to assemble a lot of coaching staff in that time - especially with some of the resource turnover recently due to regular season success.

So if you do it long enough you're bound to have picked some good 'uns along the way who can develop and become HC's themselves.  Not sure there's anything in Lewis' selection in themselves  which makes him any better than anyone else.

This is an excellent point! Marvin has assembled quality coaching staffs on his own but I'm still confused why he wasn't permitted to make a clean sweep in 2003. He didn't hire Paul Alexander; he was saddled with him like a clean new ship with an oversized outdated anchor.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 10:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: (I'm joking...it TOTALLY adds up).

Well, I figured that, considering the source... LOL ....but your post was a good vehicle for me to get my thoughts out there.... :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 06:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I agree with this. I like Guenther as a DC but nothing more. 

I don't like him as a manager at Skyline Chilli. 
Reply/Quote