Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis is 0-7 in the playoffs. So why is he still coaching the Bengals?
This article had this gem in it:

'The case for Lewis remaining on the job always comes down to how bad the Bengals were before he got there. Cincinnati used to go 5-11 every year and now they go 11-5 every year. (Actually, 11-6.) Success!

But this is the most pathetic possible reason to keep someone around. This is marrying the second girlfriend you’ve ever had and getting her name tattooed on your forehead simply because she is better than your first girlfriend who stole all your money and burned down your house. You don’t love the new girlfriend, she doesn’t make you happy and she’s not what you always wanted in life, but … hey, at least your stuff’s not on fire? Go ahead and cancel that dating site membership because you can do no better.'

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/apr/12/cincinnati-bengals-marvin-lewis-coach-playoffs
Reply/Quote
I can't find the tweet but a Bengal writer posted the most damning stat of Marv imaginable: his career score differential in the second half. I can't remember the exact numbers but it wasn't even close. Like, an absurd difference in numbers.

That made me more sick than his notorious 0-fer playoff record
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 11:16 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This article had this gem in it:

'The case for Lewis remaining on the job always comes down to how bad the Bengals were before he got there. Cincinnati used to go 5-11 every year and now they go 11-5 every year. (Actually, 11-6.) Success!

But this is the most pathetic possible reason to keep someone around. This is marrying the second girlfriend you’ve ever had and getting her name tattooed on your forehead simply because she is better than your first girlfriend who stole all your money and burned down your house. You don’t love the new girlfriend, she doesn’t make you happy and she’s not what you always wanted in life, but … hey, at least your stuff’s not on fire? Go ahead and cancel that dating site membership because you can do no better.'

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/apr/12/cincinnati-bengals-marvin-lewis-coach-playoffs

Let's be fair now. I'm ready to move on from Merv but it's only recently I've felt this way. The reason Merv kept his job was due to the lockout/strike (I can't even remember what it was now) and that he kept having winning seasons in the regular season. Yes, I know he got his extension prior to the end of the season but I'm sure Brown knew what was gonig to happen and didn't want to compound the problems of a lockout with a coaching search.

There are other reasons too (like Brown's stuobborn loyalty), but I doubt that the fact we wree so bad prior to Merv ever factored into the decision.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
0 n 7...fml
Reply/Quote
If you guys had a better coach you would possibly have a SB ring. I am starting to think Lewis has your team in handcuffs.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 11:16 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote:  This is marrying the second girlfriend you’ve ever had and getting her name tattooed on your forehead simply because she is better than your first girlfriend who stole all your money and burned down your house. You don’t love the new girlfriend, she doesn’t make you happy and she’s not what you always wanted in life, but … hey, at least your stuff’s not on fire?

You know Tiffany????
Reply/Quote
Actually, when your team is a proverbial loser, and you play 16 games then done every season, then 5 straight playoff years looks pretty good to you. But when you get to the point you team is always making the playoff, but then 1 and done, it starts to tarnish and you want more. Some teams would love to have Lewis, and they can have him. Cincy now wants more.... Mike, are you listening?
Reply/Quote
The answer is Mike Brown.

Mike gave Shula a two year extension after starting off 8-24. He tried to talk Coslet out of quitting, even though they were mired in a 5-25 stretch. He fired LeBeau after a franchise worst 2-14, but in the interviews following the dismissal, you could tell he didn't like doing it. 

Given that Marvin has actually had regular season success and made the playoffs multiple times...it allows Mike to say 'we've been competitive' and justify the continuous extensions despite the postseason failure, the prime time record or getting abused by the Steelers.

Another interesting, and depressing stat from Marvin's time here -

If you take away his 21-8 record against the hapless Brownies...he's only 66-81 versus the rest of the AFC. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 01:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Actually, when your team is a proverbial loser, and you play 16 games then done every season, then 5 straight playoff years looks pretty good to you. But when you get to the point you team is always making the playoff, but then 1 and done, it starts to tarnish and you want more. Some teams would love to have Lewis, and they can have him. Cincy now wants more.... Mike, are you listening?

Yep. And then when you stop making the playoffs altogether for multiple seasons...
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 01:48 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The answer is Mike Brown.

Mike gave Shula a two year extension after starting off 8-24. He tried to talk Coslet out of quitting, even though they were mired in a 5-25 stretch. He fired LeBeau after a franchise worst 2-14, but in the interviews following the dismissal, you could tell he didn't like doing it. 

Given that Marvin has actually had regular season success and made the playoffs multiple times...it allows Mike to say 'we've been competitive' and justify the continuous extensions despite the postseason failure, the prime time record or getting abused by the Steelers.

Why does Mike have such a hardon for terrible coaches? And why is he so against firing them or letting them quit? 

He is to the front office as PA is to our Oline: loyal to a fault, no matter the incompetence. 
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 01:56 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Why does Mike have such a hardon for terrible coaches? And why is he so against firing them or letting them quit? 

He is to the front office as PA is to our Oline: loyal to a fault, no matter the incompetence. 

You fire a coach and you have to pay them until their contract expires.

I really think it's all about comfort and having a coach in Marvin who works well with him.
Reply/Quote
For a team designed to lose and never get past the first playoff game Marvin's doing exactly everything right..
I'm firmly convinced that this team IS but one of the Washing Generals of the league, just good enough to sell tickets, but never good enough to beat the league favorites, the real money makers. 
I'm convinced Marvin was hired to keep us at that level or slightly below. 
The Brown family made a deal at some point to accept permanent second class status in exchange for something..cash perhaps, but I suspect something more sinister... Hired Lewis to ensure it and he checked all of the boxes to get close, but no cigar.. 
Is it possible to be so accidentally stupid to make billions of dollars and always lose? You would really have to work at it. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Why is ML still coaching the Bengals? Simple $$$$$$$$$$$!
Reply/Quote
I have been saying this since the 2015 playoff meltdown.

So many metrics showing that Marv is a poor coach and that this is a poor organization.  Hard to list all of them.

Besides the playoff record- his abysmal record against the Steelers stands out.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 02:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: For a team designed to lose and never get past the first playoff game Marvin's doing exactly everything right..
I'm firmly convinced that this team IS but one of the Washing Generals of the league, just good enough to sell tickets, but never good enough to beat the league favorites, the real money makers. 
I'm convinced Marvin was hired to keep us at that level or slightly below. 
The Brown family made a deal at some point to accept permanent second class status in exchange for something..cash perhaps, but I suspect something more sinister... Hired Lewis to ensure it and he checked all of the boxes to get close, but no cigar.. 
Is it possible to be so accidentally stupid to make billions of dollars and always lose? You would really have to work at it. 

Comparing Bengals to Washington Generals is brilliant.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 02:19 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I have been saying this since the 2015 playoff meltdown.

So many metrics showing that Marv is a poor coach and that this is a poor organization.  Hard to list all of them.

Besides the playoff record- his abysmal record against the Steelers stands out.

Counting the postseason...he is 2-14 against the Steelers...AT HOME. 

Just think about that. 2-14 in your own house against your #1 rival - and you still have a job! 

Hell, his record against the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Colts and Broncos - the 5 most consistently successful AFC teams  during the last 15 years  (and a part of every SB during that time)- is a combined  31-54, including 0-3 in the playoffs.

So, to sum up...

66-81 against AFC teams not located in Cleveland (66-88 if including PO's).
31-54 against the top 5 AFC teams during his tenure (including PO's).
8-30 in prime time games.
8-23 versus the Steelers.
2-14 against the Steelers at home.
0-7 in the postseason.
Owns the record for straight playoff losses without a win.
Owns the record for consecutive playoff losses without a win.
Owns the record for the most playoff losses without a win.

Sick
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 01:56 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Why does Mike have such a hardon for terrible coaches? And why is he so against firing them or letting them quit? 

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2013/09/29/browns-dismissal-stings-50-years-later.html

He's scared from his father being fired from the Browns.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 01:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Actually, when your team is a proverbial loser, and you play 16 games then done every season, then 5 straight playoff years looks pretty good to you. But when you get to the point you team is always making the playoff, but then 1 and done, it starts to tarnish and you want more. Some teams would love to have Lewis, and they can have him. Cincy now wants more.... Mike, are you listening?

I know it won't be the most popular opinion, but I have quite a bit of confidence that ML would of made a bigger impact on this team if it wasn't for MB. There's not a lot of proof to back this up, but I feel like with a good scouting department, progressive outside the box thinking with the cap, and most important commitment for wanting titles, is what has set this team in a stagnant state of not getting to that next level. 
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 02:34 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I know it won't be the most popular opinion, but I have quite a bit of confidence that ML would of made a bigger impact on this team if it wasn't for MB. There's not a lot of proof to back this up, but I feel like with a good scouting department, progressive outside the box thinking with the cap, and most important commitment for wanting titles, is what has set this team in a stagnant state of not getting to that next level. 

If Marvin felt Brown was holding him back from reaching his goals, he could have easily chosen to not keep signing contract extensions and staying as the Bengals HC.
Marvin is part of the problem.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 02:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Marvin felt Brown was holding him back from reaching his goals, he could have easily chosen to not keep signing contract extensions and staying as the Bengals HC.
Marvin is part of the problem.

He most certainly is, i am not arguing that at all. Just saying that I think he could of done better than 0-7 and all those other awful stats. 

And you do remember back when he didn't want to sign unless he got a practice facility right? he's fought for it, but of course lost. Again, not saying he's a GOAT or HOFer just that MB has tied one hand behind his back. He hasn't gave his HC every opportunity to win, which he knows because he keeps re-upping him. Here's what you get to win, take it our leave it. 
Reply/Quote