Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Takes Over as DC
(11-12-2018, 12:27 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/12/marvin-lewis-taking-control-bengals-defense-teryl-austin-fired/

Linky

(11-12-2018, 12:38 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Yes it can get worse. If the D turns to at least 'meh' and we just miss the playoffs it will be enough to save ML for another year. 

He’s already under contract for another year and even with the d we have up till now we are the #6 seed at the moment.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell, maybe he'll be worse, and then they'll have to fire him. Ninja

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

They will fire him.... from being the DC.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 01:54 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Your comment makes no sense.
MB now has 1 less coach to pay, and didn't replace him. That's the very definition of "being cheap"

Are you sure about that?  I always thought that Mike B. was against in-season firings, as he had to pay someone to not work.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Well he is lacking as a head coach so he might turn d around as DC.
Reply/Quote
Well, something had to happen!

Yes, it was somewhat expected and yes it was the red-hot Saints and Drew Brees, but yesterday's beat-down was especially disgraceful. I just wish I didn't care so much sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are you sure about that?  I always thought that Mike B. was against in-season firings, as he had to pay someone to not work.

Hmmmm, you could be right.  But, Austin is still going to receive pay?  For how long?
Reply/Quote
I would think he had signed a two year deal
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 01:54 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Your comment makes no sense.
MB now has 1 less coach to pay, and didn't replace him. That's the very definition of "being cheap"

You do realize he still has to pay Austin the rest of the season right? That’s how contracts work.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:47 PM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: ... I just wish I didn't care so much sometimes.

I took my jersey and hat off in the 4th quarter, resigning myself that I wouldn't put them on again, this season.  However, firing Austin gives me just a glimmer of hope.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:08 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Marv is 4-3 and always has been.

Well thats fine for him....but I'm not lol jk.

I actually remember a lot of fans talking about that back in the day. It may have been Stealer envy of course, but most of us on the old ESPN bengal forum were all about the 3-4 for whatever reason. I kind of thought Marv ran a hybrid. I bet most people on here didnt even know espn used to have a bengal forum. They had one way before the bengals had their own.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:54 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I took my jersey and hat off in the 4th quarter, resigning myself that I wouldn't put them on again, this season.  However, firing Austin gives me just a glimmer of hope.

I hear ya.  I like to wear an orange shirt to work on Mondays, when the Bengals win.  This morning, I just looked at my favorite orange shirts and just shook my damn head..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Reality is Marvin is the head coach, and even though he should have been canned years ago, this perhaps could be the best thing to have happened.

What I mean is this could re-energize Marvin making him a better head coach by taking on new responsibilities. He won't just be observing anymore, but will be directly involved with the players and other positional coaches unlike before.

Though the Bengals haven't had a good track record recently with coordinators, at least they aren't waiting around like they used to. So credit for that. At the same time, they need to do evaluate themselves in why they have whiffed in last 3 years now.

Lastly, hopefully this will light a fire under Lazor as well. He should know his job is far from secure.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Proof that Mike Brown reads these message boards.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:42 PM)pally Wrote: I can't shake the feeling that these decisions mean we will be seeing Hue hired as a special assistant head coach to be Marv's right hand man

?? the plan for by to take over I 2 years is back on track
Reply/Quote
Psychologically speaking, this could be a good thing. It will return Lewis to his place of strength which is defense.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:54 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I took my jersey and hat off in the 4th quarter, resigning myself that I wouldn't put them on again, this season.  However, firing Austin gives me just a glimmer of hope.

Like the MOB just when you think. Your out they pull u. Back in. Mikes plan is working. No one said it was easy being a bengals fan.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:26 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I actually like this. Better than Haslett.

I like this move as anything would be better than what we have seen thus far.I believe the men will play a lot better under marv,however the dirty-birds are insane at home and marv knows that.Hopefully we will have a couple more dudes back,it will help for sure.Hopefully number 80 can suit up as he is mega fast like ross.This team is so beat up,its just so nuts. I still see an 8 and 8 season and Mike Brown will keep marv next year and will say injuries was a big reason for 8 and 8 which he has a point,but other teams overcome these things,but our lowly bengals will not.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 03:08 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Psychologically speaking, this could be a good thing.  It will return Lewis to his place of strength which is defense.

I'm not getting my hopes up for too much of an improvement.  The scheming and overall fundamentals might get better but there's still the issue of talent (or lack thereof).  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 03:11 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I'm not getting my hopes up for too much of an improvement.  The scheming and overall fundamentals might get better but there's still the issue of talent (or lack thereof).  

Marvin Lewis knows talent.  I think Austin had his hands in this past draft that selected Jefferson and Brown.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Word on the streets is,marvin is bringing the 46 defense back
Reply/Quote