Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Takes Over as DC
(11-12-2018, 03:14 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Word on the streets is,marvin is bringing the 46 defense back

46 would not work in today's NFL.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 03:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 46 would not work in today's NFL.

Why coach fred?
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 03:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 46 would not work in today's NFL.

Nope, but interestingly enough, I saw it briefly in the Wazzou/Colorado tilt on Saturday.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 03:23 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Why coach fred?

The short, quick passing game would eat it up.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You do realize he still has to pay Austin the rest of the season right? That’s how contracts work.

Actually, I didn't know that he'd get paid the rest of the season.  I figured he'd get something, similar to a severance, but, to me.. "fired" = no more paycheck.  Guess I was wrong.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 03:32 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Actually, I didn't know that he'd get paid the rest of the season.  I figured he'd get something, similar to a severance, but, to me.. "fired" = no more paycheck.  Guess I was wrong.

He should be held in some kind of breach of contract cause he sure as hell wasnt doing his job!

Reply/Quote
I think Marvin brings back the old Coach Landry Flex defense, mostly because he likes players with good knee bend.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Can't be as bad as Austin . That dude was awful.
Reply/Quote
I suspect Marvin will be trying to simplify the scheme as there currently is no player out there who can align the defense correctly, and also emphasize tackling.
Reply/Quote
As per usual, ML will simplify things while the better teams work in more complex systems.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 03:50 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: As per usual, ML will simplify things while the better teams work in more complex systems.

At this point what choice does he have? The players they are running out there are just lost and confused and a big part of it is the lack of a smart veteran to get the defense properly set. 
Reply/Quote
So we are letting our HC who hasn't ever won a play-off game and not even made the play-offs the last 2 year, now run a defence which is currently the worst in the NFL. Oh my what could go wrong???
Its ok saying he had a great defence when he was DC of the Ravens but that was 18yrs ago!! the game has moved on a hell of a lot since then.
I know it was a stretch but at the beginning of the season I predicted we went 12-4, 10-6 at the worst, now I think we will be luck to win another 2 games with Marv trying to carry out 2 jobs
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 03:11 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I'm not getting my hopes up for too much of an improvement.  The scheming and overall fundamentals might get better but there's still the issue of talent (or lack thereof).  

You might be surprised at how much better some guys will perform, once they're back running the coverages that they have been comfortable in, and excelling at, for most of their athletic lives.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 03:50 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: As per usual, ML will simplify things while the better teams work in more complex systems.

How simplifying a bad thing?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 04:20 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: How simplifying a bad thing?

It always seems that ML and staff have to 'dumb things down' for this team, while other teams have little issue adding complexities to their systems week top week.  Like when Chad goes to the Pats and cant even pick up the playbook.

Reply/Quote
The 2000 Raven were 5-4 after 9 games......
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 04:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You might be surprised at how much better some guys will perform, once they're back running the coverages that they have been comfortable in, and excelling at, for most of their athletic lives.  

And how much a better called game can help too

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:54 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Well thats fine for him....but I'm not lol jk.

I actually remember a lot of fans talking about that back in the day. It may have been Stealer envy of course, but most of us on the old ESPN bengal forum were all about the 3-4 for whatever reason. I kind of thought Marv ran a hybrid. I bet most people on here didnt even know espn used to have a bengal forum. They had one way before the bengals had their own.

Rex ran a hybrid. Marv's big Ds consisted of:

Rob Burnett-Siragusa-Sam Adams-McCrary
Boulware-Lewis-Jamie Sharper

When Nolan took over, it was a 3-4:

Adalius Thomas- Kelly Gregg- McCrary (which didn't work as he's a 4-3 DE and too big to be a 3-4 OLB)/Anthony Weaver (which DID work out)
Cornell Brown-Ed Hartwell-Lewis-Boulware

Then, when Rex took over, it became a hybrid of his previous coordinators' alignments (officially, IIRC, it was a 4-3):

Jarret Johnson-Gregg-Ma'ake Kemoeatu/Ngata/Trvor Pryce-Suggs
Thomas-Lewis-Bart Scott

or

Ngata/Kemoeatu-Gregg-Ngata/Trevor Pryce
Thomas-Lewis-Bart Scott-Suggs

Having 2 way guys like Suggs, Johnson, Boulware and Thomas for all those years, allowed them to switch back and forth.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 04:20 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: How simplifying a bad thing?

This post is giving me flashbacks to when we were simplifying and cutting the bs out of the offense when we were going from Hue to Zampese.
Reply/Quote
I like the move. This defense needs a good coordinator.
I'm not sure how the defense will do, but you'd think they do better.

I like how it puts more pressure on Marvin to sink or swim.

Would love to see Hue added on to the coaching staff to lighten the load. (we also play the browns twice this year so that'd help)

Not sure if we can improve enough to be considered a playoff team, but it gives us a reason to watch the game this weekend.
Reply/Quote