Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin calls out Ross
This is just flat out embarrassing for Marvin. He comes off as such a big jackass.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Why i wanted the loser gone. The more time he spends with our young players the more damage he does to them.
Reply/Quote
Out of all the players he's had over the years the only one that disappointed him and the team was john Ross on a go route getting very limited snaps lol what a joke
Reply/Quote
So sick of Marvin's ass. I just want him to shut up and leave.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 08:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: C'mon Nate...Ross did nothing wrong on that fumble. He had the ball tightly secured in his left arm (towards the sideline). It was a perfect hit with a helmet that knocked the ball loose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo5aGtpB7q4

It seemed Ross was a part of the game plan initially. Then he was benched and permanently in Marv's doghouse apparently.

I'm not saying the fumble and giving up on the deep route are the things keeping Ross off the field.  I just assume that he looks pretty un-ready in practice and when he has been on the field he's either been perfect but unlucky on that reverse or just not ready.  I don't know how Ross looks in practice, and I don't know how he reacted to that fumble.  Maybe he wanted back in ala Kareem Hunt and maybe he looked gunshy.  I don't recall.

This whole "Get Marvin out so we can see Ross" stuff just reminds me of the narrative we had floating around here where we were pleased as punch to have Zampese as our OC because he was going to be "less cute" than Hue and center the offense around Jeremy Hill.  

We have this narrative where we progress through steps:
1.  Player X needs to get on the field, he's got super potential, he will be great
2.  Player X isn't productive enough because he needs to be on the field more
3A.  Player X can't be judged because (insert myriad of franchise issues here)
3B . Player X is a bum, let's put Player Z in

Look, maybe Ross will be great and it's very possible Marvin Lewis is benching a guy who could produce and save his job (that's a scary thought).  This year we've already gone through steps 1 through 3A with Mixon over Hill after going from steps 1 through 3B with Hill himself and we seem to be on step 2 for Ross.  Personally, I'd wave a magic wand and make the whole gameplan based around AJ McCarron handing the ball to Mixon 30 times a game and taking deep shots to Ross for the other plays, but my career isn't tied to what goes on there.

EDIT: the frustrating part is that Marvin Lewis' career isn't tired to what goes on on the field either. ZING!
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 04:08 PM)Trademark Wrote:

Lol

Jesus Christ!  Marv just come out and say "I didn't agree with the pick, I wanted the asshole LB from Bama (because I do so well with head cases) and I am going to sit in the corner and pout....worse yet, I think I will call him out for ONE BAD PLAY when the rest of my team sucks rhinoceros balls and I never do a damn thing about it"

Please, fire this asshat.
Reply/Quote
Let me see if I've got this straight.

Cedric Ogbuehi was a late first-round pick. As soon as he was made a starter in 2016, he got pulverized on a consistent basis. But game after game, bad play after bad play, they kept trotting him out onto the field. They didn't end up benching him until, what? November or December of the 2016 season? The guy was given a A LOT of rope.

John Ross is a top-10 pick. A top-10 pick for a wide receiver corps where nobody seems to be able to get separation (save AJ Green). He makes one bad play, and he gets benched the rest of the game? Then Marvin waits three days to go down the list of all the people Ross personally let down? Over one mistake?

Yeah, I'll throw on the tin-foil hat. Something's up.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 08:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And the rats start jumping off the sinking ship.

But first they're going to point their fingers at the weakest targets. That's all this is. Like others have said why no finger pointing on Bodine's lookout blocks for 4 seasons ? And now Ogbuehi's ? Burfict and Pac man pulling their antics, Peko walking out on the field in his coat in a playoff game and on and on !

Weak Merv, very weak

(11-15-2017, 08:15 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Completely agree with this.

If he was Belichick and had a long history of 'my way or the highway' schtick and was consistent in his application of that then fine.

But we've had the likes of Burfict, A.Smith , Jones, T.O, Henry, Ced, Bodine...turn up way out of shape, have off field / self induced problems, just plain suck / consistently hurt the team and i do not remember him turning as quickly or so explicitly on them.  That smacks of a lack of integrity.

Now I'm pretty p*ssed off with Ross and think a lot of this is on him.  However we simply have to know by the end of the year if he can be the guy...at the moment that means keep playing him even if he makes mistakes.

In a sh*tstorm of a season...of all the things for Lewis suddenly to grow a set of balls on,  a rookie WR who screwed up a route seems way down the list

(11-16-2017, 05:24 AM)bengalsturntup5532 Wrote: Out of all the players he's had over the years the only one that disappointed him and the team was john Ross on a go route getting very limited snaps lol what a joke

(11-16-2017, 10:22 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Let me see if I've got this straight.

Cedric Ogbuehi was a late first-round pick.  As soon as he was made a starter in 2016, he got pulverized on a consistent basis.  But game after game, bad play after bad play, they kept trotting him out onto the field.  They didn't end up benching him until, what?  November or December of the 2016 season?  The guy was given a A LOT of rope.  

John Ross is a top-10 pick.  A top-10 pick for a wide receiver corps where nobody seems to be able to get separation (save AJ Green).  He makes one bad play, and he gets benched the rest of the game?  Then Marvin waits three days to go down the list of all the people Ross personally let down?  Over one mistake?  

Yeah, I'll throw on the tin-foil hat.  Something's up.

All of this.....we've had guys screw up games, postseason chances, and in Og's/Blodine's cases....an entire season(s), but Merv finally decides to grow a set with a rookie WR that came in injured to start with.  Whatever dude.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 12:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: All of this.....we've had guys screw up games, postseason chances, and in Og's/Blodine's cases....an entire season(s), but Merv finally decides to grow a set with a rookie WR that came in injured to start with.  Whatever dude.....

In all fairness Marvin may just be waiting until we get that elusive 4th win (and gold star for the year) before he starts experimenting.  Once we beat the Browns for the 2nd time this season and the pressure is off I could see Marvin seeing what we have in Ross.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 12:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In all fairness Marvin may just be waiting until we get that elusive 4th win (and gold star for the year) before he starts experimenting.  Once we beat the Browns for the 2nd time this season and the pressure is off I could see Marvin seeing what we have in Ross.

I really have no issue with Ross not playing if he's not ready....my issue is calling the guy out after all of these years of NOT doing that.  Especially after coming out and saying the O line was not a concern coming into the season.  If ANYONE needed calling out, it's that group and their position coach.

That being said.....at this stage, may as well get the kid out there some, along with more Dennard and WJIII....Lawson, Willis, etc, etc.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Lol I read this as less throwing Ross under the but more I told you so by Marvin Lewis.

Every week those same reporters ask him about John Ross. Every week Marvin replies he's not ready. This week Marvin gave Ross a shot he messed up on an important down.

Marvin is doing the "I told you so" dance when they weren't looking.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Marvin is such a dumbass.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 10:10 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying the fumble and giving up on the deep route are the things keeping Ross off the field.  I just assume that he looks pretty un-ready in practice and when he has been on the field he's either been perfect but unlucky on that reverse or just not ready.  I don't know how Ross looks in practice, and I don't know how he reacted to that fumble.  Maybe he wanted back in ala Kareem Hunt and maybe he looked gunshy.  I don't recall.

This whole "Get Marvin out so we can see Ross" stuff just reminds me of the narrative we had floating around here where we were pleased as punch to have Zampese as our OC because he was going to be "less cute" than Hue and center the offense around Jeremy Hill.  

We have this narrative where we progress through steps:
1.  Player X needs to get on the field, he's got super potential, he will be great
2.  Player X isn't productive enough because he needs to be on the field more
3A.  Player X can't be judged because (insert myriad of franchise issues here)
3B . Player X is a bum, let's put Player Z in

Look, maybe Ross will be great and it's very possible Marvin Lewis is benching a guy who could produce and save his job (that's a scary thought).  This year we've already gone through steps 1 through 3A with Mixon over Hill after going from steps 1 through 3B with Hill himself and we seem to be on step 2 for Ross.  Personally, I'd wave a magic wand and make the whole gameplan based around AJ McCarron handing the ball to Mixon 30 times a game and taking deep shots to Ross for the other plays, but my career isn't tied to what goes on there.

EDIT:  the frustrating part is that Marvin Lewis' career isn't tired to what goes on on the field either.  ZING!

Why would people want to put Player Z in when Player Y is the backup to Player X? Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals need to follow what the Falcons and Saints have done the past couple years.
The Falcons were mediocre in 2015 and then made some key pickups in the draft and FA to immediately be contenders and went to the Super Bowl.
The Saints were mediocre in 2016 and then made some key pickups in the draft and FA and are currently one of the top teams at 7-2.

Specifically, many of their draft picks became quality starters or significant contributors as rookies or sophomores.
Atlanta:
Austin Hooper
Wes Schweitzer
Grady Jarrett
Vic Beasley
Deion Jones
Keanu Neal
DeVondre Campbell

Saints:
Michael Thomas
Marshon Lattimore
Alvin Kamara
Sheldon Rankins
Marcus Williams
Ryan Ramczyk
Alex Anzalone (before getting hurt)

Point being that these teams made selections that were both good players and fit immediate needs to get them to contribute quickly, which helped propel their teams to success in such a short time. Yes, these teams also had a few critical FA pickups, but they are getting a TON of production from their young drafted talent from the past couple years. By getting this production from guys in their first couple years of rookie contracts, they were able to afford some of the more proven (expensive?) FAs like Mack, Clayborn, Unger, and Warford.

If the Bengals want to be a contender again in the next couple years, they need to start drafting players that can be significant contributors as rookies or sophomores. Stop taking players early that take a few years to groom and/or selections at really deep positions already just for the sake of "BPA" (looking at CBs specifically).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Do not think Marvin has been happy with Ross so far.

Even when he was healthy Marvin was saying he needed a lot of practice before hitting the field.

But bad way for Marvin to go about it.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 12:35 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Why would people want to put Player Z in when Player Y is the backup to Player X? Mellow

Because Player Y is a scrap-heap vet!  DUH!
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 02:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Because Player Y is a scrap-heap vet!  DUH!

Or a late-round draft pick or UDFA who has one year of experience but otherwise shows lower potential to be a quality starter.
THAT YEAR OF EXPERIENCE MAKES SUCH A DIFFERENCE, OBVS
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
He sure gives the guy enough chances doesn't he?

I find it unfair to judge the guy until he gets enough snaps. Marv has been handcuffing him just like the rest of the team.

FU Marv! Whatever

Reminds me of last year when he stabbed Paulie G in the back when he spoke of starting the younger players on D.

This is not leadership.
Reply/Quote
Is it possible that Marvin and Mike had a huge disagreement over this pick, with Marvin not wanting the pick? Is he trying to prove Mike wrong? Is Ross lazy and putting in little effort from week to week? Is he still healing and babying it? The speed and talent is obviously there, something is going on.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 10:22 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Let me see if I've got this straight.

Cedric Ogbuehi was a late first-round pick.  As soon as he was made a starter in 2016, he got pulverized on a consistent basis.  But game after game, bad play after bad play, they kept trotting him out onto the field.  They didn't end up benching him until, what?  November or December of the 2016 season?  The guy was given a A LOT of rope.  

John Ross is a top-10 pick.  A top-10 pick for a wide receiver corps where nobody seems to be able to get separation (save AJ Green).  He makes one bad play, and he gets benched the rest of the game?  Then Marvin waits three days to go down the list of all the people Ross personally let down?  Over one mistake?  

Yeah, I'll throw on the tin-foil hat.  Something's up.

Great post Big Boss. Spot on here man. Mellow
Reply/Quote