Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin calls out Ross
(11-15-2017, 04:47 PM)lone bengal Wrote: “ said Ross let him down “ Marvin could say the same thing for Bodine the last 4 years and Ogbuehi just about every week lol.

And Burfict repeatedly and DreK with regularity anyone who misses a tackle and gives up a first down or any back who misses any rare hole or QB who misses an open receiver  or anyone who whiffs on a block and pretty much everybody who ever plays the game at some time or another.

Go on and point fingers but point the first one at yourself, Marv.  And then you'd better have a lotta time to talk because the list of screw ups is disgustingly long.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Marvin is turning into a butt hurt child right before our eyes, his apparent reaction to his career going belly up(or in his case, belly out).

Time for him to take his ball and go home.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 04:58 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm thinking John Ross slept with Merv's wife and/or sister and/or daughter and/or mother. I mean, this is going overboard.

I would love for John's response to be: "I did some good things; I did some bad things; I just have to execute better. LET'S GO LET'S GO LET'S GO!" punctuated with clapping and giggling.

LOL

Man, that would be perfect. "I did some good things, I did some bad things. Ultimately, I don't think the media understands what I'm trying to do out there. Running around, catching a ball? That's hard. Only like 1-of-32 receivers can catch a ball. I just need to focus on what I'm doing right and let the media follow."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I never agree with "giggles" I mean Marvin our too long tenured head football coach but he is spot on here.

Maybe this will light the fire John Ross needs......
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 05:08 PM)corpjet Wrote: I never agree with "giggles" I mean Marvin our too long tenured head football coach but he is spot on here.

Maybe this will light the fire John Ross needs......

I don't think it can be assumed he lacks fire.  What he lacks is snaps.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 05:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I remember a few years back him digging into Maualuga and Andy for not being leaders.

He was quite a bit softer about that though. He basically said it was time for them to take over leadership roles, I don't really view that as a slam.

Certainly not on par with singling out a play and saying Ross let the team down. And let Marvin down.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 05:04 PM)Benton Wrote: LOL

Man, that would be perfect. "I did some good things, I did some bad things. Ultimately, I don't think the media understands what I'm trying to do out there. Running around, catching a ball? That's hard. Only like 1-of-32 receivers can catch a ball. I just need to focus on what I'm doing right and let the media follow."

"Running a poor route? That's just journalistic jargon."
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Wasted year for Ross. I just think they’ve mismanaged this kid. He didn’t have full go speed in training camp. Something was wrong at the start. Throwing him under the bus now is silly.
Reply/Quote
Marvin: I'm going to retire someday, but before I do I want to be sure that I screw up this team from top to bottom and you just have to trust that process. The refs are just doing their jobs of making sure our best players get suspended at the most opportune times during the long season. 
As for Ross, he's our number one pick this past season so the process is to make sure he's completely bought into my diabolical plan to disappoint every fan of this team. Did I mention that it's incumbent on me to ensure that Pittsburgh makes the playoffs again and Ben gets to ride off in the sunset as the washed up hero?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
On the one hand I want a HC who holds players accountable and lights a fire under their arses and doesn't hand anything to them. On the other hand, I really want Marvin Lewis to force Ross into this lineup despite the fact that he's hurt, doesn't practice, doesn't practice well, and has outright botched the few plays he's been involved in.

Call me Art Garfunkel, because I'm in a Catch-22!
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 05:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: On the one hand I want a HC who holds players accountable and lights a fire under their arses and doesn't hand anything to them.  On the other hand, I really want Marvin Lewis to force Ross into this lineup despite the fact that he's hurt, doesn't practice, doesn't practice well, and has outright botched the few plays he's been involved in.

Call me Art Garfunkel, because I'm in a Catch-22!

He obviously has not been forced into the lineup in any way, shape or form.  And didn't Kareem Hunt fumble his first carry and then go on to run for somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 yards?

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 05:33 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Wasted year for Ross.  I just think they’ve mismanaged this kid.  He didn’t have full go speed in training camp.  Something was wrong at the start.  Throwing him under the bus now is silly.

Normally this would really get my goat, but he'll probably be learning a new offense next year anyway.

He needs to get into the game to adjust to the speed.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 05:49 PM)McC Wrote: He obviously has not been forced into the lineup in any way, shape or form.  And didn't Kareem Hunt fumble his first carry and then go on to run for somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 yards?

Yeah I get it Kareem Hunt.  Look, I think Marvin Lewis is a lame ol' duck and has been for damn near a decade.  With that being said, I'd be more likely doubt Marvin's insistence that Ross isn't ready if Ross didn't go on the field and boner things up when he gets the chance.

When Ross looks even mildly competent in a game I swear I'll get on Marvin's ass for not playing him.  Right now the best arguments we have to play Ross are:

1.  we are losing a lot
2.  a guy on a different team who plays a different position fumbled on his first carry and turned out to be really good

Maybe I missed something, but does Ross pass the eye test, or are we just saying put him out there because who cares and why not?
Reply/Quote
Marvin let us down.

It's not Ross's fault he was picked. Not many even had him in the first round. The collective gasp when his name was called told it all. Ross may never contribute, but that isn't his fault.

We just don't have any luck selecting 9 overall.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 05:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah I get it Kareem Hunt.  Look, I think Marvin Lewis is a lame ol' duck and has been for damn near a decade.  With that being said, I'd be more likely doubt Marvin's insistence that Ross isn't ready if Ross didn't go on the field and boner things up when he gets the chance.

When Ross looks even mildly competent in a game I swear I'll get on Marvin's ass for not playing him.  Right now the best arguments we have to play Ross are:

1.  we are losing a lot
2.  a guy on a different team who plays a different position fumbled on his first carry and turned out to be really good

Maybe I missed something, but does Ross pass the eye test, or are we just saying put him out there because who cares and why not?

Does the eye test consist of run one play, go sit down?  Because it seems to.  And I think we're saying both who cares and why not and how can he get used to the game by not playing in it.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 06:02 PM)McC Wrote: Does the eye test consist of run one play, go sit down?  Because it seems to.  And I think we're saying both who cares and why not and how can he get used to the game by not playing in it.

Look, all I'm saying is that Ross has done enough on the field to make me actually give stinky ol' Marvin the benefit of the doubt for saying the kid isn't ready.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 06:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Look, all I'm saying is that Ross has done enough on the field to make me actually give stinky ol' Marvin the benefit of the doubt for saying the kid isn't ready.

I can't argue that.  But there's only one way to find out what you've got and shredding the kid's confidence in the media might not be the best way to go about it.  Maybe build him up might be an option.

Reply/Quote
Rule #1 of being a leader is to never place blame on 1 component. Especially tell the world "you let me down". You don't think Ross knows he screwed the pooch on that 1 play? We wanted accountable players but this isn't how you do it by letting crap go on elsewhere and nailing it to a rookie who has limited playing time. Lewis has lost it. I bet there are over a million people right now who would gladly throat punch this stupid sum *****...
Reply/Quote
I wish Marvin would call out Marvin.  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 05:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I remember a few years back him digging into Maualuga and Andy for not being leaders.
Well, that's definitely a case of pot meet kettle.
Reply/Quote