Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 (live updates)
(01-03-2018, 04:06 PM)Takedown Wrote: Caught this too... I think he's just not counting out the possibility in case they decide PG is the best answer and he decides to come back. Right now they're making calls. No time to wait.

now that you mention it that does seem like the most plausible scenario. Jon Gruden hasn't been hired officially yet so that is kind of holding up the process. My guess is they are kicking tires right now.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:07 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: I agree that you should not give up on a coach for a bad season or two... but I do draw the line at 7 playoff letdowns, always hanging my head after a prime-time game, and 2 seasons of losing.

The terrible stats go on. ML should have been fired a long time ago, oh well.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:09 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: now that you mention it that does seem like the most plausible scenario. Jon Gruden hasn't been hired officially yet so that is kind of holding up the process. My guess is they are kicking tires right now.

I don't really want PG back so I hope he goes to Oakland. Give me Del Rio or Rex Ryan lol.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:09 PM)thillan Wrote: Most notable to me is that they finally mentioned becoming a player in FA. I'll believe it when I see it, but at least they acknowledged it. 

Also - I like that one of the questions was about trusting young players. Weird how Marv doesn't mention WJ3 in that list?

Man do I hope they put more effort in getting better FAs. That alone would help a LOT.

The tone of the injury thing was that Mixon played through an injury and kinda showed that he is a tough player who is for the team. Marv said that his effort was noticed in the locker room because of it.

Made an awkward joke about cutting Nickerson twice and re-signing him twice. Said that the unproven guys really showed their true colors the last 2 weeks.

Boyd wasn't necessarily mentioned in the young players stepping up as a result of injury conversation. But only a question or two before did he mention the confidence of Boyd (and Mixon) the last few weeks of the season. I guess Boyd went to Marv's office and had a 1 on 1 saying that he was feeling confident and Marv said that he is developing into the player they expected him to be.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:12 PM)Takedown Wrote: I don't really want PG back so I hope he goes to Oakland. Give me Del Rio or Rex Ryan lol.

I don't want Rex Ryan anywhere near Cincy. That guy ruins teams.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:12 PM)Takedown Wrote: I don't really want PG back so I hope he goes to Oakland. Give me Del Rio or Rex Ryan lol.
I would love to have Rex.  He schemed ways to beat the Patriots with a much less talented team.  He is aggressive personified.  He has worked for Marvin in the past. 

But his personality is way too big to work here.  He will not quietly follow orders and he will not coach a passive scheme.

Plus, when is the last time a former coach left the studio to go back to the grind?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:16 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't want Rex Ryan anywhere near Cincy. That guy ruins teams.

Only if he's the HC.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:13 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: The tone of the injury thing was that Mixon played through an injury and kinda showed that he is a tough player who is for the team. Marv said that his effort was noticed in the locker room because of it.

Made an awkward joke about cutting Nickerson twice and re-signing him twice. Said that the unproven guys really showed their true colors the last 2 weeks.

Boyd wasn't necessarily mentioned in the young players stepping up as a result of injury conversation. But only a question or two before did he mention the confidence of Boyd (and Mixon) the last few weeks of the season. I guess Boyd went to Marv's office and had a 1 on 1 saying that he was feeling confident and Marv said that he is developing into the player they expected him to be.

Thanks for all the great info.

Weird that Ross trying to play hurt put him deeper into Giggles' goofy dog house.

Reply/Quote
Here it is..https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/01/03/watch-live-marvin-lewis-press-conference-after-cincinnati-bengals-extended-him-through-2019/1000409001/
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I think I read to many open ended answer there. I don't know guys, I'm not buying a lot of this. He should have been gone and yet Mike Brown just basically let Lewis have full control over this organization player wise.... Not trying to be negative here, not my nature, but something isn't adding up. Why wait 15 years for this? Where does this put Tobin?
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:25 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I think I read to many open ended answer there. I don't know guys, I'm not buying a lot of this. He should have been gone and yet Mike Brown just basically let Lewis have full control over this organization player wise.... Not trying to be negative here, not my nature, but something isn't adding up. Why wait 15 years for this?  Where does this put Tobin?

Marv said that he and Duke will continue working closely to build the team.

The Browns are reluctant to change. Thats it. They just trust Marvin.
Reply/Quote
Can't muster any hope yet. Still dead inside.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:08 PM)McC Wrote: Does he even want to come back?  He sure wasted no time to run away.

Would you want to come back? I think its a good spot for him here, but not the best DC for us (if that makes any sense). If he's looking for a HC spot then he's dreaming.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:18 PM)McC Wrote: Only if he's the HC.

this.
Reply/Quote
There is no requirement for you to believe anything regarding the Bengals nor anything else for that matter. You can believe in the tooth fairy and it doesn't change anything. 
I don't necessarily believe all of it, but I do believe they want to get better. Whether they can or not is yet to be determined. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:31 PM)Takedown Wrote: Would you want to come back? I think its a good spot for him here, but not the best DC for us (if that makes any sense). If he's looking for a HC spot then he's dreaming.
I'm just guessing but I feel like what he's looking for is a chance to show what he can do without a boss dictating every little thing to him.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:18 PM)McC Wrote: Only if he's the HC.

He ruined that defense in buffalo.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:25 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I think I read to many open ended answer there. I don't know guys, I'm not buying a lot of this. He should have been gone and yet Mike Brown just basically let Lewis have full control over this organization player wise.... Not trying to be negative here, not my nature, but something isn't adding up. Why wait 15 years for this?  Where does this put Tobin?

This is the first time MB actually thought Marvin wouldn't come back as did all of us. Marvin told ESPN (Adam S.) that he was done after this year to force Mike's hand in more control over the team. Think about it. Why would Marvin leak false info if it wasn't something to do with scaring Mike?
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:33 PM)McC Wrote: I'm just guessing but I feel like what he's looking for is a chance to show what he can do without a boss dictating every little thing to him.

Possibly. He apparently is in charge of who sits and who plays (via Lazor).
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:28 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: Marv said that he and Duke will continue working closely to build the team.

The Browns are reluctant to change. Thats it. They just trust Marvin.

Thanks for all the info you provided, many thanks!
Reply/Quote